Poor Signal ? Samsung Captivate

This is a discussion on Poor Signal ? Samsung Captivate within the Samsung Captivate Tech forums, part of the Samsung Captivate category; Originally Posted by ReithRock4582 I have the same problems with my samsung Captivate it has bad signal in my house i have to resend a ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Poor Signal ? Samsung Captivate

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by ReithRock4582 View Post
    I have the same problems with my samsung Captivate it has bad signal in my house i have to resend a message a good 3-4 times before it sends and out of the house i still have bad signal and still sometimes have to resend 1-2 times
    When you dial *#0011# what band are you on... 850 or 1900?

Need Assistance? Contact me at dorian@android.net

One thing I cant enphasize enough is please when you can use Coverage Mapper from the market! It may help to put pressure on the carriers about their crap coverage. For example in my area (metro Atlanta) if you pull up the coverage mapper results Cellular Coverage Map - AT&T (United States of America) you will see LOTS of brown and red coverage, in those areas its pretty easy to drop a call. Compare that to T-Mobile Cellular Coverage Map - T-Mobile (United States of America) and you see much more green and this is why my wife with her Nexus S gets much better coverage than I do with my Captivate on AT&T. We need more people mapping though, there are other apps but most have cruddy resoloution showing a single map point as the coverage for a 400 foot area which is shoddy at best. 400 feet can be the difference between 4 bars and a 1 bar cliff(literally).

Coverage Mapper has one negative, and its google's fault. To get the signal strength the screen must be on. So keep that in mind. What I do is when I get in the car fire up the app, plug the phone in, and place it where it will be able to get GPS data. Then I just drive. https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result Give it a try, you may help someone to make a better carrier choice.

I have the same problem, I have had the phone for a few months and am already considering switching to a new device. It is extremely frustrating when i am trying to talk/text with a coworker, family, or friend (it occurs so much that all of the given situations have presented themselves). I have tried everything to get rid of the problem, even going so far as to reset the phone multiple times, and draining the battery for a natural drain and reset, but nothing seems to work. I am going to write the company, I will keep you updated on any response they give me. So far, I am extremely disappointed with ATT.

I got better signal when using a piece of tape to insulate the round contact on the battery cover. Give it a try. It may improve your signal strength.

I got better signal when using a piece of tape to insulate the round contact on the battery cover. Give it a try. It may improve your signal strength.<br>Even better signal strength with both contact insulated.

Angry

I have the same problem twice and get no response from Samsung, no help from AT&T. I have two Samsung Captivates on my account and neither can receive MMS with 1 or 0 bars of signal in the heart of Oklahoma City. Previous, multiple phones from 12 years past have all registered 5 bars. Other people with other phones on AT&T register 3 to 5 bars right next to us and receive the MMS fine, ours never downloads. I spent hours on the phone (twice) with AT&T who tried to switch my phones to 2G for better reception but could not complete the task and never called back. They claimed they wrote a ticket of some kind and was going to research the problem, but the problem is obviously the Captivate. I was told mine was still under warranty, but they will not trade for another phone other than another Captivate. Can't upgrade again until December, and may switch companies. T-Mobile folks claims that their MMS comes in over the Wifi even if there is no signal, AT&T's will not. If this is true, that would be a plus. You would think that Samsung would at least respond to this issue. It is frustrating and the only time I have ever been dissatisfied with the reception of a a cell phone. Of course I have always had Motorola in the past.

i was having the same problems (intermitent lack of service)
    what I did:

enter
    *#*#197328640#*#*
    1 debug screen
    8 phone control
    4 UE state control

here you can switch the network: GSM or 3G (WCDMA)
    verify which mode you're on, and switch back and forth, but stay on WCDMA at the end

I think this "re-registers" the phone in the network. My connection is stable now.

Post your results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links