Poor Signal ? Samsung Captivate

This is a discussion on Poor Signal ? Samsung Captivate within the Samsung Captivate Tech forums, part of the Samsung Captivate category; :confused: Hey guys I am new here and I was wondering has any one else had signal issues with the Samsung Captivate ? In my ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poor Signal ? Samsung Captivate

Unhappy Poor Signal ? Samsung Captivate

:confused: Hey guys I am new here and I was wondering has any one else had signal issues with the Samsung Captivate ? In my home and around town my iPhone never used to go down from 5 bars .. (I know that the iPhone isn't the best for accurate signal bars!)
    So I set out on a mission trying ANY GSM cellphone I could stick my sim card into ! and with a Samsung magnet I got 5 bars all over my home and 4 bars into town .. my blackberry curve got 4 to 3 in my home but 5 in town.. but my captivate is getting from anywhere from 2, 3, 4 in one location it is never constant but never goes down to 1 even in DEATH grip and only 5 when I am under a tower ..

The only reason why this is a problem for me is because data speeds are crappy at lower signals compared to other 3G ATT phones with the higher signals ..

I was wondering if this is a software issue like with the iPhone 4 or it this a hardware issue ?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I have terrible ATT signal strength in my home and usually had 2 bars with my BB 8900 and 2-3 with my G1. The Captivate flutters from 0-1 but I still have pretty good dowload speed and have only once dropped a call.....my wifes iphone 4 has 1 bar and is is unusable in my house....drops every time. What I started doing back with the BB 8900 is simply forwarding my calls to the house phone....I just set the "forward when busy" setting in the voice calls settings of my Captivate to send the call to the house phone if I decline the call....never drop a call again(unless you have no house phone).

Ooh wow that sound like a temporary fix ... but sadly that doesn't fix my signal haha and i found that holding the phone in landscape mode make the signal bar dance between 0-4 bars its really making me think its a software issue but just to make sure i am going to get a case for my captivate since the metal back acts like apart of the internal antenna and see if that helps any with the singal fluctuation :/

Junior Member Charles_attdroids's Avatar
    I have the same problem at home, only 2 bars on my captivate, but check the way you grab the phone...I have realize that if I grab the phone with left hand the lower part drops to 1 bar, if I grab the top part of the phone I get 3 bars...check it out...

Nathaniels,
    I have noticed similar signal indications as you. However the Captivate in my house still produces good clear phone conversations. I don't use 3G data that much, normally wifi, so I can't say I have noticed any problems in data speed.

It is disappointing to see the bars generally low i.e. 3 to 4 where my ex-iPhone 4 got five (as long as I was not holding it). But I am burnt out chasing the perfect phone so I have decided to just use it ... "Live with it". At least I can change the battery in this phone something that always bothered me about the iPhone. So to repeat myself I am just going to use it, not look at the bars.

For what it is worth I have noticed low signal indications with other Samsung phones that I have used opposed to lets say Motorola. I guess what I am trying to say is if we or a lot of us are seeing the same thing it is just how the "Samsung Captivate" show signal strength. I had already convinced myself that there was nothing wrong with my phone by watching sever U-Tube reviews and if you look close while the guy is raving about the phone you will see about 3 bars and this was my typical observation on sever videos. So my conclusion is it is just the signal strength display, Samsung and at&t would never let a batch of phones go out with poor radios.

By the way I am 99.9% sure the back cover is plastic. If you look on the inside of the back cover you can see several injection molding points. I'll admit it sure looks like metal but if it is it will be the first Samsung I have ever seen with a metal battery cover. That's a Motorola trick that I have never been able to figure out how they get a signal thru it but considering that Motorola is the oldest and most experienced handheld radio manufacturer in the world I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

I've noticed I usually have about 3 bars but CRYSTAL clear reception. I don't know if this is an issue to be concerned about or not.

Quote Originally Posted by trevorr77 View Post
    I've noticed I usually have about 3 bars but CRYSTAL clear reception. I don't know if this is an issue to be concerned about or not.
    Well my last post was not so much a technical defense of the signal indication as it was a method to convince myself that there is no problem and convince my self that there is nothing wrong with the phone.

Yesterday I finally had a chance to drive around the small town of Saint George UT checking signals at different locations. OK here is the deal I have yet to have a bad call or dropped call but in general the phone almost always reports THREE and occasionally four bars and this was my findings in the house and around town. I did find a place or two that showed five bars but on my phone the fifth bar must take one hell of a strong signal. The one strange place that I got a SOLID FIVE BARS was while inside an automatic car wash (cinder block wall, tin roof and all the watter jets going) the absolute last place I would have expected that to happen.

I also checked signal strength inside Costco and Walmart where I had 2 to 3 bars which was about what I had with the iPhone 4. Now one thing that did disturb me is Walmart had three BlackBerrys' on display and active. Two were verizon and one was T-Mobile all three had five bars. I didn't fool with the Verizon units (not apples to apples) but I did pick up the T-Mo unit and if I held it long enough the bars dropped to 2 which was about what I was getting on my Captivate in the same location.

Conclusion: I don't have a clue what is going on with the captivate signal indication.

What I will say is that I am having a lot of trouble at the moment trying to keep my "Geek O.C.D." under control and not get upset about the phones behavior, also I did have a diconnect or two with my Captivate bluetooth and my BlueAnt ST3 car speaker phone???

Considering what I said in my earlier post about this you guys are going to think I am a lunatic but I think first thing in the morning (or today if I can contact anyone) I am going to ask around and see what the Tech people have to say (not that I believe them, they are reading from a canned data base of answers). If someone can't make me fee warm and fuzzy I am going to go back to the iPhone 4 if "LetsTalk" (Walmart's Phone sales group) will let me return the phone. I know the problems with the iPhone 4 has a couple of quirks but even with that I think overall it is a superior phone.

Comments please?

Quote Originally Posted by HolmanGT View Post
    Nathaniels,
    I have noticed similar signal indications as you. However the Captivate in my house still produces good clear phone conversations. I don't use 3G data that much, normally wifi, so I can't say I have noticed any problems in data speed.
    By the way I am 99.9% sure the back cover is plastic. If you look on the inside of the back cover you can see several injection molding points. I'll admit it sure looks like metal but if it is it will be the first Samsung I have ever seen with a metal battery cover. That's a Motorola trick that I have never been able to figure out how they get a signal thru it but considering that Motorola is the oldest and most experienced handheld radio manufacturer in the world I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
    The captivate gets reception slightly less than my HTC Tilt2 did. I can be quite sure of this because I work and live in fringe areas and I have to be careful in some areas of my office when on the phone. Not a huge deal but annoying, however the output radiation is less.

The rear cover has been noted to be metal in many reviews and I believe it to be so. If you remove the cover you will also notice two contact points that there has been a great deal of speculation about but no concrete answers yet ( Captivate only one with this Antenna? - xda-developers ). I have contacted the some folks to see if they can ascertain what the contact points may be for. Using a metal cover could be to limit the amount of signal being transferred through areas they don't want to get better qualifications on the radiation output tests.

One of the best ways you can help get better coverage is to complain to AT&T with the AT&T Mark The Spot app whenever the signal gets bad. Also I seriously recommend using the app in my signature to provide a real coverage map for phone users! AT&T claims to cover 96 or 97% of US customers. They dont say how good that coverage is. Show the world how the coverage is! All the cell carriers want their coverage maps to be top secret, well the secret is now out and we can share their REAL coverage strengths and weaknesses in real world usage so lets do it!

rahlquist,

You are spot on about it being a metal cover. My apologies to all.

In switching back to my 3GS I re-examined the cover and on the lower tabs you can plainly see the aluminum construction. Oops glad I didn't make any bets.

I wish I had seen your app before I switched back to my 3GS. The problem with complaining to at&t where I live is the last on line search I did for at&t towers showed absolutely none. In fact all the towers, at least GSM towers, seem to be privately owned tower. So I assume at&t just rents space. I have heard of this kind of thing before in a small town I lived in Kentucky. It was a private family own tower that serviced at&t and maybe others I don't know. Once when I complained about quality to at&t in Kentucky they told me that the license for that location was own by a private family and they had been trying to buy them out for years. Apparently as long as these privately owned companies don't let there license default they can own the area for as long as they want. I have the funny feeling that this condition exist here in Saint George, UT also. Ugh!

@HolmanGT You're right about the back cover being metal. I've examined the tabs and tried dropping it on top of my glass table. It is metal, a steel or aluminum plate. It landed on the table with a "clang" sound, unlike plastic's "thud" sound.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links