Launchers not allowing USB access

This is a discussion on Launchers not allowing USB access within the Samsung Captivate Tech forums, part of the Samsung Captivate category; I am having an issue with Launchers (LauncherPro and Zeam) not allowing my PC access via USB due to the Captivate considering the launchers to ...

Thread: Launchers not allowing USB access

Launchers not allowing USB access

I am having an issue with Launchers (LauncherPro and Zeam) not allowing my PC access via USB due to the Captivate considering the launchers to be running apps and not an idle home screen. Is there a work around for this or do I need to switch to Twlauncher anytime I need access via USB?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

When tryingto connect via USB are you just trying to copy files or connect your phone to something like droid explorer.

I know that Launcher Pro not being 'idle' is a problem for connecting with Kies but I'm not sure if it it with other USB connection options.

If you haven't already done so, I'd certainly try other USB connection options. Menu > Applications > USB Settings.

Quote Originally Posted by tae_254 View Post
    When tryingto connect via USB are you just trying to copy files or connect your phone to something like droid explorer.
    I was connecting to move some files but through win explorer not droid explorer.

Quote Originally Posted by Lendal View Post
    I know that Launcher Pro not being 'idle' is a problem for connecting with Kies but I'm not sure if it it with other USB connection options.

If you haven't already done so, I'd certainly try other USB connection options. Menu > Applications > USB Settings.
    Looks like you got it Lendal. Although I wasn't trying to connect via Kies I did have the device set to media player. Mounting as mass storage works. Still a work around or fix would be nice as I tend to leave my device in media player mode since that usually I am connecting to add or remove music via WMP syncing.

This actually brings up a second question. I noticed that when I switched back to TWlauncher and ran adv task killer that all the AT&T apps were running. Are they loading and running regardless of the default launcher and simply hidden from adv task killer until I go into TWlauncher? I know I could just blow them out but as this is a work phone I am trying to leave it relatively close to the base install just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by sKurm View Post
    ...This actually brings up a second question. I noticed that when I switched back to TWlauncher and ran adv task killer that all the AT&T apps were running. Are they loading and running regardless of the default launcher and simply hidden from adv task killer until I go into TWlauncher? I know I could just blow them out but as this is a work phone I am trying to leave it relatively close to the base install just in case.
    Yeah, many of the ATT apps that come on the phone as defaults do tend to start up on their own for one reason or another. For the most part, I think it's relatively harmless in terms of impact on the phone's performance and battery life.

But I do know that it annoys the bejeezus out of many otherwise pretty mellow android geeks. And so, if you're annoyed by it, you're in good company.

Personally, I've added them to my TO-DO list flagged as "Stuff To Fix/Clean Up".

They aren't showing up on page one of my list yet but, when they do, I'll consider trotting on over to the xda developers forum and installing one of the new Captivate ROM mods there.

Almost all of the mods either automatically nuke the ATT bloatware or at least provide you the ability to do it manually. But you might want to wait a bit until all the kinks are worked out of the mods as well as the process of creating, installing and using mods in general.

Right now it's pretty cutting edge stuff. And you know, it's not always so comfortable being out there on the cutting edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Lendal View Post
    Yeah, many of the ATT apps that come on the phone as defaults do tend to start up on their own for one reason or another. For the most part, I think it's relatively harmless in terms of impact on the phone's performance and battery life.

But I do know that it annoys the bejeezus out of many otherwise pretty mellow android geeks. And so, if you're annoyed by it, you're in good company.

Personally, I've added them to my TO-DO list flagged as "Stuff To Fix/Clean Up".

They aren't showing up on page one of my list yet but, when they do, I'll consider trotting on over to the xda developers forum and installing one of the new Captivate ROM mods there.

Almost all of the mods either automatically nuke the ATT bloatware or at least provide you the ability to do it manually. But you might want to wait a bit until all the kinks are worked out of the mods as well as the process of creating, installing and using mods in general.

Right now it's pretty cutting edge stuff. And you know, it's not always so comfortable being out there on the cutting edge.

If you have root, you can get "Autostarts" (with an s at the end) from the market and it will let you disable what apps start and during what events they start up on. Example: After boot - disable Maps, or After an app changes - disable AT&T Navigator.

It's a great app and comboed with ATK your phone will have much better performance.

Quote Originally Posted by mod777 View Post
    If you have root, you can get "Autostarts" (with an s at the end) from the market and it will let you disable what apps start and during what events they start up on. Example: After boot - disable Maps, or After an app changes - disable AT&T Navigator.

It's a great app and comboed with ATK your phone will have much better performance.
    For that matter, if you have root you can just remove the offending apps altogether presuming you never intend to use them (such as ATT Navigator).
    Avatar courtesy of Elliott C. 'Eeyore' Evans

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links