how to set up email when your ISP/email server doesn't support Android?

This is a discussion on how to set up email when your ISP/email server doesn't support Android? within the Samsung Captivate Tech forums, part of the Samsung Captivate category; Anybody else have an issue with an ISP that does not have an Android platform for mobile email? I've had the Captivate for almost 2 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to set up email when your ISP/email server doesn't support Android?

Unhappy how to set up email when your ISP/email server doesn't support Android?

Anybody else have an issue with an ISP that does not have an Android platform for mobile email? I've had the Captivate for almost 2 weeks and this is my first smart phone so I'm new to all this. My ISP is Charter cable and I cannot get my email to work correctly on my phone. AT&T guy has tried twice to set it up. First time, no email at all. Second time, I could receive, but not send. Now I am playing with it - and using the Charter settings for "other phones" (which means anything not an i phone or bb), I can't do anything at all. If this is a hopeless task, tell me now before I waste any more time! I'll trade the Samsung in for a different phone... because I'm stuck with Charter for now! :mad:

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

@foxwood. Did you check with your email provider whether they support IMAP/POP3?? If either of these is supported you can configure your email. No such thing as Supporting android and not supporting.

Other solution is switching to any other third party email provider like hotmail, gmail yahoo etc... But this switching may not be convenient if you have used your current email for years together.

Hi sattvic - my ISP/email server does have POP3 and IMAP. And instructions for defining both options, including port numbers. Their instructions are different based on which OS your mobile uses. Different instructions for BB vs iPhone vs Windows Mobile. And then a "General Settings" to use for other phones. I have tried ALL setup possibilities on the Captivate and none work. I had reasonably complete incoming email after the second attempt by the AT&T guy, and he set it up using POP3 for the incoming mail. Which means NO sync capability with my desktop based Outlook email. Although I couild receive email, I could not send anything. After that, I started playing with the setup using the info supplied by my ISP. Now, I cannot Send OR Receive email. Of course, since I can't DO any email on the phone, I don't have to worry that it won't sync with my PC! :rolleyes:

I thought same as you said, that if my ISP has IMAP, I should be able to get it to work. But so far, all I get is feeling stupid!

And I do have both a gmail and a yahoo email addy but I NEVER use them. I have had the same addy with charter for at least 10 years. It's the only personal one I have ever used besides the one I used for work (now retired - or rather escaped). So, yeah, would be a huge PITA to switch to one of the others now.

Somebody cure my stupidity!!!

IMAP is what you would want to use if you want to sync with your desktop machine. Generally though, most ISPs do not offer both POP3 and IMAP, with most just offering POP3 or a Webmail option. I believe that Google/GMail is one of the few offering IMAP access.

If you could point us to a list of the IMAP instructions for your provider maybe someone could help figure out how to plug those settings into your phone?
    Avatar courtesy of Elliott C. 'Eeyore' Evans

Hi jmgib - Thanks for the info. I actually had some success on my own yesterday, but have now created a new email problem. (And charter does have both pop3 and imap.) New problem is less a phone issue and more likely a result of operator error. I uninstalled email off the phone. Then set it up as if the first time, using the instructions provided by my isp and using imap for incoming. I had done this before and it didn't work, but this time, it did! Here's a link to my isp's instructions. Mobile Email Settings - Charter Communications Scroll all the way down to general mobile info.

However, my phone has picked up my email details from the web version, and not from my desktop Outlook.

Normally, I only do email from my desktop at home and I use Outlook as my email software for my Charter isp. However, if I am traveling for an extended period of time, I try to keep up with my email using charter's webmail version. Same email addy and password as what I use with Outlook. We are usually out of the country for a month at a time once a year, and I just use my husband's laptop to check my email. I have a couple of folders with my webmail, versus a zillion in Outlook. I have never tried to sync my webmail with Outlook because I usually only use webmail once a year. If there's something I really need to keep that I get via webmail, I just wait until I get home to disposition it.

My successful setup yesterday picked up the few folders from the webmail version. And at the same time, having my phone turned on with email active, it was receiving emails but interfered with my desktop Outlook email. Basically, if my phone is receiving email, it's blocking Outlook.

Like I said - operator error, I'm sure! What do I have to do to get my mobile email to sync with my Outlook email? Is that even possible? And am I just stupid for thinking that I could have both the phone and the PC "active" at the same time?
    Thanks for any advice!

It sounds like you are using POP3 on your desktop using Outlook. If that is correct there isn't really any easy to access then on your phone. What you would need to do is to set up outlook to use IMAP also and then to copy your old mail back up to your ISPs servers.
    Avatar courtesy of Elliott C. 'Eeyore' Evans

Thanks. You're right. My Outlook email is configured as POP3 incoming. Options exist to add a new email account as IMAP, but I don't think I can change the existing account. At any rate, I have some more research to do with my ISP and my own Outlook settings. And now I understand what the problem is!
    Thanks much for your help.

Help

"Thanks for the info. I actually had some success on my own yesterday,"

Fox, what did you end up doing to make this work. I have tried everything I've read on the web and nothing seems to work with Charter and the Captivate. Did you use POP3? What ports? This is getting frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven View Post
    "Thanks for the info. I actually had some success on my own yesterday,"

Fox, what did you end up doing to make this work. I have tried everything I've read on the web and nothing seems to work with Charter and the Captivate. Did you use POP3? What ports? This is getting frustrating.
    Seven - I finally gave back my Captivate (on Day 29!) and switched to an iPhone instead. My Charter Email isn't perfect, but much better than it was with the Captivate. I would have thought they would have a better fix in place by now. Sorry I can't be any more help! Good luck...

Quote Originally Posted by foxwoodfarm View Post
    Seven - I finally gave back my Captivate (on Day 29!) and switched to an iPhone instead. My Charter Email isn't perfect, but much better than it was with the Captivate. I would have thought they would have a better fix in place by now. Sorry I can't be any more help! Good luck...

No problem. The only reason I went with this phone over the iphone, is because I wasnt going to deal with Apple. Co-worker got one and in 1 week, the camera didnt work. They wanted HER to pay to send it to them, AND charge her Credit card over $600 as some sort of security deposit. AT&T's hands were tied because its all Apples policies. I refuse to deal with that BS, so I got the captivate and really like it. The email issue isnt the end of the world, I just put a "favorite" on my browser to charter.net, where i can see all my email as if i were on my PC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links