Excessively long reboot cycle

This is a discussion on Excessively long reboot cycle within the Samsung Captivate Tech forums, part of the Samsung Captivate category; Is anyone else having issues with a VERRRRRY long reboot cycle. When I reboot (to change a battery, or, for any reason) my Captivate reboots ...

Thread: Excessively long reboot cycle

Excessively long reboot cycle

Is anyone else having issues with a VERRRRRY long reboot cycle. When I reboot (to change a battery, or, for any reason) my Captivate reboots several times, consecutively. This cycle may loop through 3-5 times and take 20 minutes to fully restart, or it may take up to 6 hours to fully restart (if it goes for more than 30 min, I usually let it run through the loop overnight). This is insane, and makes the phone almost useless, as most of the time when I need to use it, it is looping through reboots.

I am running Android 2.1 update 1, NOT rooted. I am STILL waiting for the official 2.2 update, in the hopes that it might give me a usable phone.

When I first got it it booted fine. After adding several apps, I noticed that if I tried to update more than 1 app at a time, it would automatically reboot and start a loop. So, I started updating only 1 at a time. This helped, but when I would turn the phone off, or change a battery, it would still go through a long reboot cycle. I am careful to only update 1 app at a time, but now, after I update a second, or sometimes a third app, it will reboot itself and enter this annoying loop process.

When I first noticed this issue, I thought it might be related to some app or combination of apps. So, I uninstalled all of my apps and it made no difference. It still looped through at least 3-5 times to restart.

I know the Captivate has a lot of issues (GPS, no official 2.2 update, etc.), but this reboot loop is the most annoying as it is almost unusable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Almost sounds like a hardware issue. Then again there with the RFS file system samsung used on this one and the lag it causes. I would almost see if rooting it + flashing a well written rom (like Dorians) fixes it before calling in to the warranty deptartment at AT&T with yet another defective captivate. Just my 2 cents.

The update to 2.2 finally occurred, and this seemed to correct my extreme boot loops. I have no idea what the cause was, but I am relieved that it is gone. Now the phone is at least usable.

Sponsored Links