Excessively long reboot cycle

This is a discussion on Excessively long reboot cycle within the Samsung Captivate Tech forums, part of the Samsung Captivate category; Is anyone else having issues with a VERRRRRY long reboot cycle. When I reboot (to change a battery, or, for any reason) my Captivate reboots ...

Thread: Excessively long reboot cycle

Excessively long reboot cycle

Is anyone else having issues with a VERRRRRY long reboot cycle. When I reboot (to change a battery, or, for any reason) my Captivate reboots several times, consecutively. This cycle may loop through 3-5 times and take 20 minutes to fully restart, or it may take up to 6 hours to fully restart (if it goes for more than 30 min, I usually let it run through the loop overnight). This is insane, and makes the phone almost useless, as most of the time when I need to use it, it is looping through reboots.

I am running Android 2.1 update 1, NOT rooted. I am STILL waiting for the official 2.2 update, in the hopes that it might give me a usable phone.

When I first got it it booted fine. After adding several apps, I noticed that if I tried to update more than 1 app at a time, it would automatically reboot and start a loop. So, I started updating only 1 at a time. This helped, but when I would turn the phone off, or change a battery, it would still go through a long reboot cycle. I am careful to only update 1 app at a time, but now, after I update a second, or sometimes a third app, it will reboot itself and enter this annoying loop process.

When I first noticed this issue, I thought it might be related to some app or combination of apps. So, I uninstalled all of my apps and it made no difference. It still looped through at least 3-5 times to restart.

I know the Captivate has a lot of issues (GPS, no official 2.2 update, etc.), but this reboot loop is the most annoying as it is almost unusable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Google Advertisement
    Android.net is the premier Android Forum on the internet.

Almost sounds like a hardware issue. Then again there with the RFS file system samsung used on this one and the lag it causes. I would almost see if rooting it + flashing a well written rom (like Dorians) fixes it before calling in to the warranty deptartment at AT&T with yet another defective captivate. Just my 2 cents.

The update to 2.2 finally occurred, and this seemed to correct my extreme boot loops. I have no idea what the cause was, but I am relieved that it is gone. Now the phone is at least usable.

Ads