- CM7 - Gingerbread on Captivate 2.3.x

This is a discussion on - CM7 - Gingerbread on Captivate 2.3.x within the Samsung Captivate forums, part of the Samsung Android Phones category; With the total bricking of one of my Captivate's, I've decided that until the risk of bricking is MUCH lower, I'll be using CM7 as ...

Thread: - CM7 - Gingerbread on Captivate 2.3.x

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT

- CM7 - Gingerbread on Captivate 2.3.x

With the total bricking of one of my Captivate's, I've decided that until the risk of bricking is MUCH lower, I'll be using CM7 as base instead of Samsung's JVB. I know you guys have waited a long time for Gingerbread, and almost as long for Froyo, so take your time flashing this and you should be successful. If not, then don't worry because you can just reflash stock and try again (or not, whichever you prefer). Another thing... this is Android in the way it was intended to be, so there's absolutely no Samsung related software, like the camera interface or the music player. Both of those things work just fine in CM7, you'll just notice that they have different UI's and different ways of doing things.

Credit where credit is due. This was developed and is mostly maintained and updated by these guys at the CM Forums. They have put a ton of effort into this and deserve an equal amount of thanks.

*I've chosen to stay at the last 4/21/11 update of CM7 because the 4/28/11 update messes with light sensors and causes a tad more issues than I would have liked. So the download below for the latests nightly is the 4/21 nightly.

3rd Party Kernels for CM7:
    The Escapists Kernel (My personal favorite)
    "ls377"'s Platypus Kernel
    Y33tr's Javelin Kernel - Outdated ATM.
    Y33tr's Trident Kernel - Outdated ATM.

For those of you that have installed CM7 and gotten everything running, and would like to have it be a bit closer to my other ROM releases... try this .zip. It replaces ADW Launcher with Launcher2 (my usual default), replaces the stock fonts with the ones I use, and some other stuff.

- Download Here -

UPDATE **5/2**

Instructions on how to flash CM7:

Items to download:

Place these items on your -INTERNAL SD-:
    • captivate-efsbackup.zip
    • cm7-captivate-initial-20110318.zip
    • update-cm-7-04212011-NIGHTLY-Captivate-signed.zip

Installation:

• You want to be on a ROM with a Clockwork enabled kernel, like any of mine, or the SpeedMod, Onyx, Suckerpunch, or any of the other Captivate kernels that are compatible with ClockworkMod recovery.
    • You want to have at least 90% battery or more. It's best to be fully charged. If you flash without either of those satisfied, your battery stats will be messed up and you'll have to go through battery calibration on CM7.
    • Now to start the installation boot into clockworkmod recovery and flash captivate-efsbackup.zip.
    • When the efsbackup is through flashing pull your battery out... don't reboot.
    • Now open ODIN and put your Captivate in download mode.
    • In ODIN, un-check "auto re-boot"
    • Flash the cm7-captivate-initial-kernel.tar from the PDA slot in ODIN.
    • When it's done flashing, disconnect your Captivate and pull the battery out.
    • Now use the 3-button recovery mode and boot into clockworkmod recovery. It will show a bit differently as you're now using the CM7 kernel.
    • Now you want to go into "mounts and storage" and format "system, data, and cache".
    • Now flash cm7-captivate-initial-20110318.zip.
    • Now back to the main CWM menu and "clear data/factory reset" and reboot.
    • NOW if you get into a reboot loop, start over because something didn't flash correctly. If you get CM7 to boot, continue with the instructions.
    • Now that CM7 is booted up, power off your phone.
    • Now boot into clockworkmod again and flash the update-cm-7-04212011-NIGHTLY-Captivate-signed.zip package.
    • Now reboot, and CM7 should boot normally. If not, try flashing the nightly again.
    • Now you're on an updated, fully functional CM7 build. Now to flash your Google Apps like the Market, GMail, Youtube, etc...
    • To flash the GApps, download this package: gapps-gb-20110307-signed.zip
    • Flash the GApps package and on your next boot you should go through the setup for your Google Apps.
    • If you get stuck at the last step of the GApps installation, just pull your battery then upon bootup, at the "Setup Screen" do this: How to bypass setup.

Enjoy Stock Gingerbread!

Some things you can do that might make CM7 a bit better are to flash one of the kernel's above, try the DSP Settings app, and try flashing a different modem. I'm using the UGJK4 modem, and it seems to be the best I've tried so far, but that's different for everyone because modems have different results in different locations.
    Last edited by Dorian; 05-03-2011 at 12:59 PM.

Need Assistance? Contact me at dorian@android.net

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Nice write up. Easy to follow and great advice.

Sent from my T-959 using Android.net

Thanks a bunch. Flashed last night and so far its awsome

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Android.net

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonsamms666 View Post
    Thanks a bunch. Flashed last night and so far its awsome

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Android.net
    Nice! If you'll check back in a bit, I'll post a link to the latest nightly.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

EDIT: Update posted!
    Last edited by Dorian; 05-03-2011 at 12:56 PM.

Need Assistance? Contact me at dorian@android.net

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links