BGR - Hands On with AT&T's Samsung Captivate

This is a discussion on BGR - Hands On with AT&T's Samsung Captivate within the Samsung Captivate forums, part of the Samsung Android Phones category; We have just received our very own Samsung Captivate device and have put together some first impressions as well as some great photos. The Samsung ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BGR - Hands On with AT&T's Samsung Captivate

dandroid

BGR - Hands On with AT&T's Samsung Captivate

We have just received our very own Samsung Captivate device and have put together some first impressions as well as some great photos. The Samsung Galaxy S is launching in some form or fashion on practically every U.S. carrier, and AT&Tís model, the Captivate, is pretty action-packed. As far as specifications, the device is powered by a 1GHz CPU, 2GB 16GB of internal storage, a 5 megapixel camera, Super AMOLED screen, and Android 2.1. As far as the hardware goes, the device is very, very thin, but comes across as feeling pretty cheap thanks to a, well, really cheap plastic casing. Samsung tries to add a little pizazz with the textured back battery cover, but honestly it gets lost in a sea of mediocrity. The display is top notch, though, very readable and usable in sunlight, with great colors. The blue default color scheme on here really pops with the contrasting deep black. As far as size, 4 inches of display seems like the perfect compromise between the gargantuan DROID X and EVO 4G and the smaller iPhone-sized handsets.

The Captivate seems very snappy, and it isnít as molested as weíd figured it would be. You know, when mixing AT&T and Samsung together, well, we donít tend to get pleasant thoughts about that collaboration. Weíre not saying there isnít enough AT&T-branded apps and content in here to make Andy Rubin nauseous, weíre just saying itís more tolerable than we thought, and thatís a good thing for everyday usage. Weíll get started on our full review, but in the meantime check out some pretty pictures!

Update: After playing around a bit, it looks like AT&T has blocked the installation of non-Market apps, and we canít find Google Navigation on here. Neither of those are big surprises, but hey, a guy can dream, right?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

you mean you can't get google maps from the droid market?

I had a 2hr hands on with this device yesterday (friend works in the store). I love it. I have a Aria right now, and that phone is awesome in speed and capabilities it is too small for my hands. I thought I had noticed on the device I was playing with that there was the standard ATT software, and google software. I cannot imagine that they would allow it in the Aria and strip it out of this app. I will walk over to the store tonight and see if I can play with it again and confirm.

it shouldn't matter much because with it being allready rooted we can sideload apps and i know for a fact that the google maps with nav apk is available

I picked one up this morning. I already have it rooted!

As far as the review, it's honestly rather lame. This phone looks great, feels great, and performs great. I actually really like the customizations that Samsung has done. The screen is absolutely amazing.

As a matter of fact, the AT&T Rep couldn't stop saying how nice the phone was when he was ringing me up. He was very pro Apple too.

dandroid
    With the device rooter, were you able to get wireless tethering to work?

Quote Originally Posted by NaplesBill View Post
    I picked one up this morning. I already have it rooted!

As far as the review, it's honestly rather lame. This phone looks great, feels great, and performs great. I actually really like the customizations that Samsung has done. The screen is absolutely amazing.

As a matter of fact, the AT&T Rep couldn't stop saying how nice the phone was when he was ringing me up. He was very pro Apple too.

I got a Captivate today, and I can confirm that Google Maps with nav is on the phone. There's also ATT navigator ($10/month), but you can easily remove or rename the .apk once you root it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    With the device rooter, were you able to get wireless tethering to work?
    I honestly haven't tried, but from what I have read there are issues. I have a Moto Droid for work and the issues I've been reading about are about the same as they were on the Droid at first. The issue had to do with the wireless drivers and they resolved that for the Droid. A little time and I'm sure all will be working well.

I tried to load a non market app and at&t blocked it. This is total bs. The same app - irealbook, is on the iphone and is from the same manufacturer. It is critical for musicians who play instruments in different pitches. I paid for the phone and have a right to load whatever I want on it. At&t needs to change this bs policy quickly or I'm moving my 5 phone account to iphones.

Quote Originally Posted by cpetote View Post
    I tried to load a non market app and at&t blocked it. This is total bs. The same app - irealbook, is on the iphone and is from the same manufacturer. It is critical for musicians who play instruments in different pitches. I paid for the phone and have a right to load whatever I want on it. At&t needs to change this bs policy quickly or I'm moving my 5 phone account to iphones.
    Root it. Once rooted go to Menu-> Settings-> Applications-> Unknown Sources

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links