Samsung Captivate have "Death Grip" issues

This is a discussion on Samsung Captivate have "Death Grip" issues within the Samsung Captivate forums, part of the Samsung Android Phones category; By Eric Zeman InformationWeek July 16, 2010 09:55 AM Samsung held a huge launch event for its Galaxy S line of Android handsets in New ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Samsung Captivate have "Death Grip" issues

dandroid

Samsung Captivate have "Death Grip" issues

By Eric Zeman
    InformationWeek
    July 16, 2010 09:55 AM

Samsung held a huge launch event for its Galaxy S line of Android handsets in New York City a few weeks ago. During the event, Samsung's media relations staff was sure to take some pot shots at the iPhone 4, and told me, "You can hold the Galaxy S any way you want." Um, not true.

I have both a Samsung Vibrant and Captivate on hand for testing purposes. In both phones, the internal antenna is apparently located on the back of the phone, towards the very bottom edge. When gripped around the bottom of the phone (with either hand) the signal strength drops almost immediately. The Vibrant went from three bars to zero bars in about five seconds, and the Captivate went from four bars to zero bars in about six seconds. When I let go, the signal returns immediately.

I replicated a similar signal drop with the Microsoft KIN devices a couple of weeks ago. I turned the KIN on, waited for it to connect to Verizon's network and register four bars of service. I then covered it up with both hands. Guess what happened? The signal dropped to two bars.

Understand virtualization costs to analyze true TCO
    The ROI Of Virtualization

I don't hear KIN and Samsung Vibrant customers screaming about the "death grip" problem.

What these examples illustrate is how silly and overblown the reaction to the iPhone 4's "death grip" antenna problem really is. Many of the phones I review come with stickers on them. Those stickers often warn users of certain things. One of the stickers I've seen on many phones is one which warns users to avoid touching certain parts of the cell phone in order to not block the antenna. Covering the antenna of just about any cell phone made can result in a drop in signal strength.

Even when the Vibrant and Captivate lost signal strength, neither phone dropped a call, and I was still able to send text messages and surf the mobile web. With the iPhone 4, I never dropped a call or lost a data connection when it was suffering from the "death grip" phenomenon, either.

What's the bottom line here? Cell phones are complicated and complex devices. They have lots of radios (cellular, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GPS), lots of antennas, and rely on innumerable external factors to work correctly. How far away is the nearest cell tower, is it over a hill, what's standing in the way, are you in a building, are you in an area with overlapping coverage, are you in a moving vehicle, and (yes) how are you holding it? Expecting perfect performance and service 100% of the time is simply not realistic.

(By the way, Samsung, I have some crow for you to eat.)

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

interesting

a video review showing the issue your discussing would be more convincing

Well it makes sense. The antenna picks up the signal, so if it gets messed with, of course the signal will drop.
    Credit goes to ee0r.com for my avatar.

not sure it makes sense.

with the iphone 4 the issue isn't covering the antenna (actually covering the antenna with a bumper or case is the fix) its that the metal ridge on the outside actually is part of the antenna and skin on the metal causes the interference.

That being said we have only had my wife's iphon4 for a few days but i haven't noticed any issues with the death grip. It has a case now but i tried to replicate when we first got it and couldn't.

I didn't say covering it was the problem. I said messing with it. Gripping it a certain way or anything else like that the messes with the antenna is what I meant if I was unclear.
    Credit goes to ee0r.com for my avatar.

you get my point...the better the antenna is insulated from touch the harder it is to "mess with" by "gripping it"

the iphone antenna isn't insulated. I would say even for those having death grip problems this is still probably better than the previous models because they did the new antenna this way to improve overall reception which i think worked in general with one fairly minor and easily fixable flaw.

The other issue is the location of it being placed where people would naturally grip the device. From what this guy is describing he is having to grip and manipulate the device in a manner that would not occur with normal use.

I should have mine in hand sunday and will attempt to replicate what this guy claims but i am highly skeptical.

The guy also states he doesn't hear "vibrant users complaining" .....uh...didn't it just launch yesterday?

The difference I see is that with the iPhone, it was holding the phone in a logical way that one might hold it while talking...THAT is why it was a big deal. If you cover and entire phone, yeah you might see a drop...The iphone was dropping from FULL bars to none. Completely different issues at hand.

I have seen many a people claim there is a death grip on the captivate and try my hardest I cannot reproduce the results everyone claims. I have tried numerous ways of holding it and I may lose a bar at the most but never total signal loss.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links