Captivate Display in Sunlight

This is a discussion on Captivate Display in Sunlight within the Samsung Captivate forums, part of the Samsung Android Phones category; I stopped by my local AT&T store today to check out the Captivate, and they let me take it outside to see the display visibility ...

Thread: Captivate Display in Sunlight

Captivate Display in Sunlight

I stopped by my local AT&T store today to check out the Captivate, and they let me take it outside to see the display visibility in bright sunlight (11:30am in Phoenix, AZ).

I was disappointed. While it was readable, it was nowhere near as useful as the TFT LCD display on my Bold 9000, which I was hoping to upgrade to the Captivate.

I compared the phones using the browser displaying the home page of Drudge Report, mostly text on a white background with a picture or two thrown in.

The Bold was as readable as it is indoors, with the background showing bright white, and the text and photos popping out.

The Captivate looked like it had a gray-tinted surface. The readability was poor, mainly because the background appeared gray, rather than white. Indoors, it looked fine.

Thinking about it later, I wonder if there might be some screen setting to help this. Anyone know about that?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

dandroid
    I'm not sure.. I hope to get my hands on one tomorrow. What were your other thoughts on it? How was the onscreen keyboard?

I haven't tried my Captivate outdoors, but I did notice that the default screen brightness is not at the highest setting, so upping that might help outdoor visibility.

Dan: The Samsung onscreen keyboard doesn't seem too great, but i quickly switched it to swype and I'm really happy with it. I'm typing much faster than I was on my old blackjack.

I thought the on-screen keyboard was fine. And that's coming from a three-generation BlackBerry user.

I was impressed with the phone overall -- very snappy response to commands. My only reservations (other than outdoor readability) are the lack of a camera flash (not a deal-breaker) and the potential delay in AT&T getting around to their version of the 2.2 update. They have a terrible track record in that area.

I may wait and see if the HTC Desire comes to AT&T soon, with Android 2.2 pre-loaded and a super LCD display as opposed to the Super AMOLED of the Captivate. Then I can make that comparison in daylight. I want an Android phone, so those will be my choices, unless I want to switch carriers.

So I got a chance to check out the screen today. With brightness turned up to max, it's most definitely readable with direct sunlight on it, albeit a bit washed out. When I stood with my back to the sun (keeping the phone in my shadow), it didn't even look washed out.

I compared the Captivate to a coworkers iPhone 4 and the direct sun readability is almost exactly the same. No real difference.

Thanks for checking. Since I posted this, I downloaded a copy of the user manual and found that there is a setting to have the screen automatically adjust brightness. I would expect this to be the default, but I didn't know or think to verify it. I may have to go check it out again.

I would definitely say the captivate is better than most in direct sunlight, especially with the brightness up 100%.

@fpinphx - The bold 9000 was pretty good, but I think that was mainly do the the high contrast icons, and simple black and white text for emails. I will take a look side-by-side tomorrow though.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links