How do you like the Samsung UI?

This is a discussion on How do you like the Samsung UI? within the Samsung Captivate forums, part of the Samsung Android Phones category; How are you liking the Samsung UI?...

View Poll Results: What's your Age ?

Voters
139. You may not vote on this poll
  • 13 - 18

7 5.04%
  • 19 - 24

24 17.27%
  • 25 - 28

21 15.11%
  • 29 - 34

20 14.39%
  • 35 - 40

19 13.67%
  • 41 - 47

22 15.83%
  • 48 - 56

13 9.35%
  • 57 - 63

7 5.04%
  • 64 - 72

4 2.88%
  • 73 or Over

2 1.44%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you like the Samsung UI?

dandroid

How do you like the Samsung UI?

How are you liking the Samsung UI?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

The only thing I like about the TouchWiz UI is the contacts app (swipe right for call, left for msg is pretty neat). Other than that, I'd really prefer stock Android.

Kinda wish Google would require manufacturers to give customers the option of just putting stock android on there, if they like it better or for extended update support once the manufacturer decides to stop releasing updates for the handset.

If Google places restrictions on how carriers/manufacturers can use Android then it really isn't open is it? As much as I dislike some of ATTs decisions regarding the Android phones (such as removing the option for non-market apps) Android allows them to do this.

I'm not saying Google should stop them from using a custom UI, but they should ensure that the end-user has the option to use stock Android. While this might seem like it limits the manufacturer, I feel that it would give the end-users more freedom in how they use their phones.

That is true, it would give the end-user more freedom. But honestly I don't think Google had intended for Android to really be free for the users, it was meant to be open to the carriers/hardware makers. I could be wrong on this, but I feel confident that is the case, especially since such provisions as you mentioned were not put into place.

I actually really like the Samsung UI. There are also several nice touches they have made to the overall system, menus, etc. No real complaints from me.

Quote Originally Posted by jmgib View Post
    That is true, it would give the end-user more freedom. But honestly I don't think Google had intended for Android to really be free for the users, it was meant to be open to the carriers/hardware makers. I could be wrong on this, but I feel confident that is the case, especially since such provisions as you mentioned were not put into place.
    If Android was intended to be open to the users, all Android phones would be rooted from the box.
    Credit goes to ee0r.com for my avatar.

That's a good point also.

The non-root access is something that the hardware manufacturers want to protect the experience and reduce their support costs. If you built your own Android device, root access is up to you. This is not something that Google requires.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Coolcool View Post
    If Android was intended to be open to the users, all Android phones would be rooted from the box.
    I don't know, its much easier to pirate apps on a rooted phone, and rampant piracy would mean less devs bothering with android marketplace. Not having phones rooted by default might actually hurt the OS in the long run.

If Google really wanted to prevent rooting, they most definitely could do it, but they don't. In fact, the nexus one, which Google had the greatest say in designing, is probably one of the easiest Android handsets to root.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links