Are you happy with how long the battery lasts?

This is a discussion on Are you happy with how long the battery lasts? within the Samsung Captivate forums, part of the Samsung Android Phones category; Seems to me everyone needs to remember that you're holding a device with more processing ability than a laptop from just a few years ago ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are you happy with how long the battery lasts?

Seems to me everyone needs to remember that you're holding a device with more processing ability than a laptop from just a few years ago and it does it all, 8-10 hours of it, on a battery not much larger than a credit card. It's a fully-functional, multi-processing computer, and even if you use a task killer you have no idea just how much activity is really going on unless you use something like OS Monitor to check out the many processes that are executing.

Sure, I'd love it even more if it could go for 2-3 days between charges, but even my newest laptop can only go about 4-5 hours in extended mode when all I'm doing is editing documents. I'm amazed by these newer devices and the capabilities they deliver in the palm of my hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Windycity View Post
    @Spoonerdee Wow! How did you manage to do that? 2 days??? I only did texting constantly, and battery is dying and asking to charge after 8hr 15m from when it's unplugged. What kinda battery you have? Or just a bunch of us have a defective unit or battery? lol
    Well like I said I turn off all the things I am not using while at work i.e. gps blue tooth etc. I keep the brightness down on everything and if you go into setting and running applications It will let you turn off things running in the background that eat up battery life.

On average I tend to see 24-36 hours on a single charge with moderate use. If I really just sit and play games like some of the nintendo games then I can kill it a lot faster but for the most part I am pretty satisfied.

I would say the battery is not great, but it's not terrible either. It lasts a little longer than my iphone and my backflip, also keep in mind I have to touch the thing and play with it constantly because it's new. One thing I did was like others say, get a task killer it helps a bit, and I also actually turned my brightness all the way down....ALL.THE.WAY......yet it's still very bright. Love the samoled display.

Turning the screen brightness all the way down has helped mine as well, but I'm still a little disappointed. The Blackberry I have from work will go 4-7 days on a charge!
    I wish they would have designed the phone with a much larger battery, even if it made it thicker.

How To Extend Battery Life

Out of the box, battery life was not very good. After making the adjustments outlined below I now get great battery life.

Extend Your Captivate Battery Life

- turn down your display, set brightness to the next to lowest setting
    - turn off auto brightness adjustment
    - keep power saving mode on
    - use a static wallpaper, not a live background
    - turn off GPS and bluetooth
    - turn off auto-sync but keep background data sync
    - turn of wifi notification for networks
    - use wi-fi instead of 3G when possible

I've had my Captivate for about 2 weeks now. After reading this thread, I just checked the battery status. My phone is at 36%, and has been unplugged from the charger for 1 day, 23 hours, 18 minutes. Admittedly, I don't let a lot of things run all the time in the background, but I do use the phone quite a bit so I'd say mine has a pretty decent battery life - especially when I compare it to my old iPhone.

After setting all defaults off except gmail sync, I'm still very unhappy with the run times I experience. Yet I do understand that the large display draws the most power, therefore I've set brightness to minimum.

On the positive side, this phone makes internet surfing very enjoyable, so I end up using it more....

I wasnt too happy with my battery life until i did the "root, oc, wireless ap" mod. what i noticed is that before the mod, the cpu would clock up to 1ghz, and down to 400mhz. now that i have OC'd the phone, it clocks up to 1.2ghz, and down to 100mhz. seems to make the batter last much much longer when idling. i can get more than 2 days if i dont play games too much.

this of course, in addition to everything wificaptivate said.

edit: oh, i also set a blank (black) picture as my wallpaper. (thought it may save battery due to the OLED's not having to be illuminated

With brightness set to minimum you're not using any illumination.

lol....sorry thats just funny. if that were true you wouldnt be able to see anything on the screen....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links