Captivate issue. Random shutdowns.

This is a discussion on Captivate issue. Random shutdowns. within the Samsung Captivate forums, part of the Samsung Android Phones category; I'm checking out this Captivate Keep Alive app, it is on Marketplace. Reviews look good. Fingers crossed. Seriously, for the price of this phone, Samsung ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Captivate issue. Random shutdowns.

I'm checking out this Captivate Keep Alive app, it is on Marketplace. Reviews look good. Fingers crossed. Seriously, for the price of this phone, Samsung really really should be more forthcoming in customer service with this problem and offer an inhouse solution.

Quote Originally Posted by bscode View Post
    I'm glad Captivate Keep Alive is working for you guys, just remember to try to keep the threshold as high as you can without shutdowns. It seems different for everyone but the higher you have it set the less battery life the keep alive will eat.

Michael.
    Nice work, Michael! This Captivate shut-down problem was driving me mad, and while your "Keep Alive" solution may be a workaround, it's much more of a solution than Samsung or at&t could offer...and most importantly, it works - no more random shut-downs! Thanks!

OK, I went through the hoops: first, AT&T will require you to get a new battery regardless of how much you argue. That is fine, it will be a free battery. AFter that, you gotta call them back, tell them the battery did not help, and they will send you to an AT&T customer service center to trade in the phone for a new phone. My new AT&T Captivate is working great! It has not turned off once in the last 5 days since i got it. Also, the GPS function picks up a signal very fast. Also, the system seems to work faster. So, the solution ot this problem is to get a new phone. If you are having power-off problems, it is the phone itself and not the software or a presense of apps. Get rid of it and get a new phone.

The Keep Alive app did NOT work on my phone. It was a defective phone. Once i got a replacement, it worked fine without the app.

Same problem - I got a Galaxy S Captivate (carrier : Rogers) about 5 days ago - keeps shutting down randomly. I thought I found a fix by disabling the Power Saving mode in Sound and Display settings - worked well for about 1 day - but then started to shut down again - no clue what is going on - hoping that Android 2.2 version will solve the problem - Too bad, such a great phone otherwise...

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by captive_att_ed View Post
    My phone does the same damn annoying thing. I thought it was just me, maybe the way my phone sits in my pocket. But then it dropped power while I was using it. It drops power overnight, everynight even while plugged in and recharging. I told ATT about it (I even pay the extra $5 a month 'insurance' like a sucker), but they refuse to admit it is a phone problem, and they are sending me a new battery instead. In addition to this horse pucky, my GPS doesnt work either, and ATT said they dont have jurisdiction over that problem, that i need to contact Samsung immediately. I paid alot of mony for this POS, I am angy, and neither ATT nor Samsung seems to care to admit there is a systemic problem nor to give realy customer service.
    The cause of the "random shutdown" issue is a software problem, not hardware, and it would really serve ATT's warranty dept good to know that. The Linux kernel that ATT ships on the Captivate is buggy. It clocks the device too low in standby, which causes it to freeze while sleeping. The random shutdowns while you're using it are also caused by the buggy kernel. The shutdowns come from the kernel not scaling the CPU frequency correctly. It's the reason why most of those issues go away when you flash a community built ROM with a custom compiled kernel. And the charging issues are also caused by the kernel. The kernel is what controls all aspects of the device, because it's the core of Android. This is in no way Samsung's fault, because the GT-i9000 doesn't suffer from those issues, and neither do the Vibrant, Fascinate, or EPIC 4G. This is solely ATT's fault for modifying Samsung's Android build to add their crap and bloatware. It's why carriers need to keep their damn hands off the software that comes on phones, especially the smartphones with Android.

Not true. Samsung built the kernel. ATT would have simply given Samsung a list of apps they want included, but the manufacturer still is the one who builds and installs the software (including the kernel) on the phone. All ATT would do is to simply review the final product that Samsung would have produced and either approved it, or rejected it.
    Avatar courtesy of Elliott C. 'Eeyore' Evans

I have had my Captivate since August without any shutdown problems until a week ago. Then one morning it shut down 5 times. I installed Captivate Keep Alive and it works, but it does drain the battery. Also, it does not run automatically when I power on the phone in the morning. I have to start it each day.

I don't know whether to call Samsung or AT&T or just live with it. Otherwise my phone is great. Even the GPS works well.

Any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by jmgib View Post
    Not true. Samsung built the kernel. ATT would have simply given Samsung a list of apps they want included, but the manufacturer still is the one who builds and installs the software (including the kernel) on the phone. All ATT would do is to simply review the final product that Samsung would have produced and either approved it, or rejected it.
    Close, but carriers have more say than that. If the battery life wasn't acceptable to Att they may have required samsung to clock down the cpu in the kernel. Att owns the end customer and can demand almost anything from the manufacturer. If Samsung won't do what Att wants someone else will so Samsung would have to listen. The only exception to this seems to be Apple, which is somewhat unfortunate.

Quote Originally Posted by tgros View Post
    Also, it does not run automatically when I power on the phone in the morning. I have to start it each day.
    I'll work on that, I hadn't thought of that use case when I first wrote CKA.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links