Captivate issue. Random shutdowns.

This is a discussion on Captivate issue. Random shutdowns. within the Samsung Captivate forums, part of the Samsung Android Phones category; I had the same random shut down issues. It may have nothing to do with the problem but it seemed like my phone had a ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Captivate issue. Random shutdowns.

I had the same random shut down issues. It may have nothing to do with the problem but it seemed like my phone had a tendency to shut down more frequently if it was in close proximity to other electronic devices. At work it usually sits near my computer or my printer, at home I have it next to my laptop. One of the "fixes" suggested by Samsung is a soft boot--Did that, didn't work. Since my phone was less than 30 days old I went back to Best Buy where I bought it--the little dweebette in the mobile phones was astonished, had never heard of this problem (yeah, right) and promptly replaced my phone. New phone--same issues. I finally downloaded Captivate Stay Alive and yes, it kept my phone from shutting off, but since (I didn't know any better) I had the threshold set at 10% and the program caused a severe battery drain. I downloaded the program on Sunday night, Monday night after having to charge my battery for the 2nd time that day, I stopped the program. This is now Wednesday and (knock on wood) haven't had any shut down issues since I downloaded it on Sunday. Even with the program stopped, I haven't had any shut down issues. Bscode--your program appears to continue to work even after it's stopped--Good Job--Thank you!

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by jmgib View Post
    Not true. Samsung built the kernel. ATT would have simply given Samsung a list of apps they want included, but the manufacturer still is the one who builds and installs the software (including the kernel) on the phone. All ATT would do is to simply review the final product that Samsung would have produced and either approved it, or rejected it.
    I can reproduce the "random" shutdowns by reloading the stock software. With the 2.2 froyo leaks and the community compiled kernels, the issue isn't present anymore. And it's true Samsung did build the kernel, but I still firmly believe that it's ATT's fault. ATT could have tested further and surely found these massive flaws and presented them back to Samsung to fix. ATT has final say on what Samsung ships. And did you catch the little bit at the end? The other Galaxy S handsets don't seem to have anything but GPS issues. No random shutdowns for their stock builds.

CKA Self-start?

This morning the Captivate Keep Alive seems to have started running on its own. I noticed it on the notification bar about an hour after I turned the phone on.

My guess would be you turned the phone on while it was still plugged in then removed the charger. The current Captivate Keep Alive only responds to the "charger unplugged" intent.

Quote Originally Posted by bscode View Post
    My guess would be you turned the phone on while it was still plugged in then removed the charger. The current Captivate Keep Alive only responds to the "charger unplugged" intent.
    No. I always unplug from the charger just before I walk out of my house in the morning. I turn on the phone once I am in my car. (I don't turn on the phone in my house because of the loud sound it makes during the power-up. I wish there was a way to get rid of that.)

I will see whether CKA starts by itself tomorrow.

Check out this samsung forum for the solution: Samsung forums

It says to download "Captivate Keep Alive" app to fix the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by tgros View Post
    I turn on the phone once I am in my car. (I don't turn on the phone in my house because of the loud sound it makes during the power-up. I wish there was a way to get rid of that.)
    Go to Settings > System Volume and set the bar all the way to the left! Voila! No more power up/down sound.

Quote Originally Posted by jdmom View Post
    Go to Settings > System Volume and set the bar all the way to the left! Voila! No more power up/down sound.
    Thanks. I was afraid that that would also turn off the notofication sounds for e-mails and messages, but it didn't.

Android Addict marvin_attdroids's Avatar
    deleted by author

In the week and more I have had the phone I have had no random reboots....long may that last....every now and then I will get a freeze for a few seconds, often when leaving an app......but I chalk this up to computers freeze....

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links