Captivate issue. Random shutdowns.

This is a discussion on Captivate issue. Random shutdowns. within the Samsung Captivate forums, part of the Samsung Android Phones category; Originally Posted by splante7800 Same problem - I got a Galaxy S Captivate (carrier : Rogers) about 5 days ago - keeps shutting down randomly. ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Captivate issue. Random shutdowns.

Quote Originally Posted by splante7800 View Post
    Same problem - I got a Galaxy S Captivate (carrier : Rogers) about 5 days ago - keeps shutting down randomly. I thought I found a fix by disabling the Power Saving mode in Sound and Display settings - worked well for about 1 day - but then started to shut down again - no clue what is going on - hoping that Android 2.2 version will solve the problem - Too bad, such a great phone otherwise...
    Same issues here with ATT captivate...fixed by disabling power save mode like above AND disable the keep screen on setting in Applications/Debugging..dont have the phone next to me to find proper setting name. If one of those is on my phone will shut down. Hope this helps someone

Captivate Random Shut down / shut off

Here is a semi-fix. This trick will prevent your phone from shutting down but will decrease battery life somewhat.

1. Download "Load Monitor" from the Android Market.
    2. Once installed, open the Load Monitor app.
    3. Click on the Menu Button and Select Preferences.
    4. Check the following Items:

• Add Notification
    • Auto Start
    • Wake Lock
    • Only screen on

5. Go to "Update interval" and select 5 Minutes.
    6. Although the Auto-start assures the app runs everytime you reboot your phone, if it ever shuts off, start the app manually; though you should haven't to do this step too many times.

Load Monitor keeps your phone from shutting down by preventing suspend via wake lock setting and by actively monitoring your load, the phone is always doing something. The main reason these phones shut-off is due to the processor going into suspended mode whenever it is not being used much and then it shuts off once it hasn't been used long enough. This trick worked for me, can't gurantee everyone but very good chance it will work.

Please visit, "mysmartphonenews.blogspot.com" to support my blog.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jmgib View Post
    Not true. Samsung built the kernel. ATT would have simply given Samsung a list of apps they want included, but the manufacturer still is the one who builds and installs the software (including the kernel) on the phone. All ATT would do is to simply review the final product that Samsung would have produced and either approved it, or rejected it.
    I installed Captivate Keep Alive 10 days ago and it resolved the problem for me. I haven't had any shutdowns for the past 10 days. Also, the CKA appears to be running automatically all the time and the battery consumption by CKA is low.

I fixed my random shutdowns by cleaning the battery contacts and putting Deoxit on the contacts. This is made just for this problem Item # CCS-801

For those still having issues with this even after trying all the suggestions posted here, I would recommend calling the AT&T warranty department. They issues a replacement phone for me within minutes. It's a known issue and AT&T is aware of the problem. At least my rep was.

OK...so I was having the same issues as described in this thread, and I tried the fixes suggested to no avail...but now, I have resolved my issue by simply turning off the 'GPS'. no more random shutdowns!

I had this same problem I ended up getting a new phone. It was my understanding that all phones made before Novenber 2010 had this problem. My new phone has never given me any problems.

Captivate standby shutdown

I have had the Captivate now for 5 months and from two weeks into owning the phone it started to do the standby/shutdown. I have installed Captivate Keep Alive and found that at the 88% level it does not shutdown when going into standby. BUT, I recently installed the Froyo version ATT pushed through KIES and thought that would have fixed the trouble. I removed the Keep Alive App and once again the unit shutsdown even with the Froyo OS update from ATT. Finally received a replacement phone from ATT today and will see if this unit has the same issue.

Angry Replacement update

Quote Originally Posted by jmatthews64 View Post
    I have had the Captivate now for 5 months and from two weeks into owning the phone it started to do the standby/shutdown. I have installed Captivate Keep Alive and found that at the 88% level it does not shutdown when going into standby. BUT, I recently installed the Froyo version ATT pushed through KIES and thought that would have fixed the trouble. I removed the Keep Alive App and once again the unit shutsdown even with the Froyo OS update from ATT. Finally received a replacement phone from ATT today and will see if this unit has the same issue.
    Oh well the replacement phone ATT sent running 2.1 also does the standby/shutdown. Boxed the phone up and sent it back! Will continue using the old phone running Froyo with the "keep Alive" app. No problems when the app is running! Shoutout to ATT for taking 2 months sending me a great replacement!

The replacement devices that everyone is getting are likely IMEI series manufactured after November of 2010. The first builds of the Captivate have what Samsung are claiming is a hardware problem, which is what is causing these random shut downs. Fair warning, if you have dropped your phone and it has even the slightest of blemishes, it is up to the discretion of the tech at the local tech center as to whether AT&T will honor your warranty. If they don't, and you're not upgrade eligible, you'll be paying full price for the replacement device. Here is a link to the service bulletin - yes - that's here on this forum, thanks to Dorian: http://www.attdroids.com/forum/samsu...captivate.html

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links