closing programs

This is a discussion on closing programs within the Samsung Captivate forums, part of the Samsung Android Phones category; I was wondering what an easy way is to close programs on the samsung captivate? I had one of those task killers but it seemed ...

Thread: closing programs

closing programs

I was wondering what an easy way is to close programs on the samsung captivate? I had one of those task killers but it seemed like the phone was much more sluggish with it
    thanks

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Press menu and if it has an exit button then you can exit like that. If not just back all the way out the application until you are on the homescreen.

Junior Member unleashedvigilante's Avatar

AutoKiller

We won't get into the whole topic of Task killers and how they aren't necessary but just to throw this out there if it helps. This is a great app called AutoKiller that allows you to set your Low Memory Levels. This allows you to use the built-in task killer to reclaim memory at whatever free-level you would like. I have been using it combined with Android System Info (to just watch what's going on) and I have noticed a substantial difference.

Ok so i tried doing the exit thing and it doesnt take care of everything, so how else am i really supposed to shut em down? How come there isnt a simple function to shut it dowb already?

Junior Member unleashedvigilante's Avatar
    As was mentioned, if the app's developer didnt add an Exit option built in then backing out is the appropriate way to exit them. The os may keep the app running in the background for quick access but this is of no consequence since the built in low memory killer will reclaim it if needed. If you are really concerned with this then you will have to, sigh, use a task killer and manually kill them. What exactly is the reason you are wanting to make sure they exit?

i was just trying to close programs out of habit, just didn't know if there was any real way to shut them down other than the task killers, thanks for all the help

I've seen various posts for and against auto task managers. The questions and replies seem to only focus on one thing - memory usage. I understand that the OS will start killing apps if memory gets low, so auto task killers aren't strictly necessary for this purpose. However, what about the CPU utilization of applications running in the background? It takes some (even small) amount of CPU cycles to keep them idle processes running, which translates into extra power usage. Given the fact that a backgrounded app may actually be expending CPU doing something that isn't needed, or the fact that you can end up with dozens of apps running in the background and I would think that sluggishness and/or less battery life could result.

As they say, free memory is wasted memory. However, is it better to keep a program in memory that gets used infrequently, or is it better to allow that memory to be used for cache?

I definitely see the danger of auto task killers and would not recommend them to the casual user. However, does anyone have a persuasive argument for a power user to avoid them?

In particular, on my Captivate, I see AT&T Hotspots, AT&T Navigator and the Daily Briefing widget (to name a few) running, none of which I ever use.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links