Wow, I've got a lot to learn

This is a discussion on Wow, I've got a lot to learn within the Samsung Captivate forums, part of the Samsung Android Phones category; I feel like I've jumped into a Ferrari without ever having driven a standard before. I'm coming from a Palm PDA and Nokia phone world. ...

Thread: Wow, I've got a lot to learn

Wow, I've got a lot to learn

I feel like I've jumped into a Ferrari without ever having driven a standard before. I'm coming from a Palm PDA and Nokia phone world. I don't even know where to start with this new Captivate! I can use the phone, I can send text messages, I can web browse, but - first question is do you back up this phone like you do a PDA? Via USB, I assume, if you do. I'm really overwhelmed, with having read several Android forums and not finding a beginner's guide somewhere (I must have missed it). Any pointers so I can get myself oriented would be appreciated. I'm rambling because I just don't know where to begin

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

What are you wanting to backup?
    Avatar courtesy of Elliott C. 'Eeyore' Evans

I've come to find out that Google 'backs up' my contacts and I guess I need a backup app for the rest of it, My Backup or something like that. It's just soooo different from the Palm world. I use my phone for business, I guess I didn't realize how entertainment oriented this phone was. I like it, I just have to figure out how to use it productively.

One thing I really want to figure out is how to look someone up quickly and call them. I used to just hit Contacts on my Nokia by clicking down on the main button surround, then typing the first letter - nothing seems that quick or intuitive on this thing.

I believe on the Captivate you should be able to use Google voice search. As far as backing up, again... what exactly are you wanting to back up? More of the "user data" can just be mounted on a PC and simply copied over to wherever you want to back it up. Apps, can just be reinstalled from the Market.

It is possible though I would argue the necessity of it, to root your phone and use something like Titanium Backup to back up all of the apps on information on the phone. Of course, you could also just root the phone and do a Nandroid backup which I believe gets everything except the user data (what in most cases is the sd card.)
    Avatar courtesy of Elliott C. 'Eeyore' Evans

For searching for contacts I recommend the "Gesture Search" app along with "Gesture Bar" to make it available from the notification bar. With this app you can spell your contact name on the screen with your finger and the search is refined with each character you enter.

For a good beginner's guide I recommend The Complete Android Guide

I'll second that gesture search, one of the best apps out there to drill down quickly especially once you get a lot of apps installed.

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy S(last sync 2 h 18 min ago)

Apps:
    194 total, 178 free (91%), 16 paid (8%)

Total Size:
    236MB

Total price (currently):
    $40.15

Gotta love that captivate

WERA689
    Just downloaded it...this is a VERY cool app! Thanks guys!

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links