Cativate vs Iphone (3GS or 4)

This is a discussion on Cativate vs Iphone (3GS or 4) within the Samsung Captivate forums, part of the Samsung Android Phones category; OK.. I know this is a topic people are probably DONE talking about, don't blame you but my 30 days are coming up and currently ...

Thread: Cativate vs Iphone (3GS or 4)

Cativate vs Iphone (3GS or 4)

OK.. I know this is a topic people are probably DONE talking about, don't blame you but my 30 days are coming up and currently have the Captivate. I like this phone BUT, let's say I do not root it what is the real benefit I am not seeing yet over a non jailbreaked Iphone (which I can jailbreak with my eyes closed if I wanted... rooting scares me). I mean the Swype technology is sweet and its quick and nice display, but missing apps like Netflix (which I have but can use here) and Skype deter me.

Maybe the future ala next year and two year growth is in the droid market but what am I missing here to say, "damn... THIS is why I picked the Captivate and screw you Iphone users!".

Thanks for any advice...

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Netflix has stated that there is an official Android app coming, so that shouldn't be an issue. As for Skype, there actually is an Android app, however Skype has decided to partner with Verizon and make it exclusive to that carrier for Android (at least at this time).

My wife just left her iPhone 3G and moved to the Captivate (thought she was going to get the HTC Aria since she initially said the Captivate was too large) and seems to like it.

Really I think it comes down to the fact that Android is more open than is iOS, even with ATT's restrictions. Even if you choose not to root your phone, you can still install non-market apps via ADB or the Sideloader Wonder Machine or whatever. You can tether your phone to your PC if you choose (without needing to pay ATT's high fees).

Oh, and if you're just looking for something to show off, look for some cool Live Wallpapers.
    Avatar courtesy of Elliott C. 'Eeyore' Evans

Thanks for the respose.. So as far as your text below I can do this pretty easy then, won't have issue bricking phone? I am technical but again will admit a smartphone dummy (didn't realize that until I got this). As far as tethering, is that an app you need or can just connect via USB PC Internet. I got another week so maybe I will check it out

"you can still install non-market apps via ADB or the Sideloader Wonder Machine or whatever. You can tether your phone to your PC if you choose"

OK now I am getting the hang of it... wonder machine is wonderful downloaded Angry Birds lite (just trying it out) from 4shared and worked like a champ and best part I don't need to load anything to the phone.... OK so that does make a difference... I saw 4shared but any other sites people can recommend would be great.

Sorry, my home internet flaked out last night for some reason. Regarding tethering, you can check out PdaNet or EasyTether. Both are paid apps, but work well and do not require rooting your phone. You can either download them from their website or you can pull the SIM card from your phone and both are also found in the Market (but are blocked by most carriers, including ATT).

I see that you have found the Sideloading Wonder Machine. That should work well for sideloading apps which aren't in the Market.

Member wikidcerealkilla_attdroids's Avatar
    For the record... these guys that make apps are very computer smart... they make apps for you to buy on the market and make viruses to put on file sharing sites... makes sense i wouldnt want you stealing my stuff either

HTC Aria Cyanogen 6 overclocked to 845mhz
    HTC Aria... rooted
    Clockwork recovery
    CYANOGEN 7 Gingerbread
    Overclocked to 805 MHz

Former phones...
    HTC G1... that I have since rooted and gave to brother.
    Motorola Backflip... many calls and replacements till they gave me the Aria
    IPhone 3g... enough said

I don't believe that the viruses you would find on the file sharing sites are made by the app developers. Rather naming your virus the same as a popular computer program or phone app or whatever is an easy way to get people to share it without knowing.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links