It seems the Captivate isn't getting the 2.2 update

This is a discussion on It seems the Captivate isn't getting the 2.2 update within the Samsung Captivate forums, part of the Samsung Android Phones category; Originally Posted by Darkomen That update was to fix the GPS problems. I heard that some GPS’s were way off and would go off one ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It seems the Captivate isn't getting the 2.2 update

Quote Originally Posted by Darkomen View Post
    That update was to fix the GPS problems. I heard that some GPS’s were way off and would go off one direction while you went another lol. If thats true, did it fix it?
    I don't recall mine ever going off target (I've only had it a little over a month) but I will say it much, much faster now. Apps that rely on or display GPS data are much faster to load. I guess that means they fixed something GPS related. :D

Mike

mine wouldn't capture satellites until I did the temp fix. Then it showed me being on the south side of Abilene when I was actually on the north west side. It seems to be much better now with the update.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

p0p
    the GPS is/was terrible on this thing... im driving in a straight line on the interstate and this thing is bouncing all over the place... i haven't tried it since the latest update, i didn't get anything from ATT or samsung either, i justcheck it every day since we were supposed to get 2.2 by the end of last month.

I just bought the phone Sunday. And I have been extremely please with it so far. I originally had the Backf, with it 1.5 os. Now, I am on a phone with 2.1 and can be very patience until the 2.2 comes out.

I would say that so far, it seems very likely there won't be any "fixing" the gps. The first one I bought did the same thing everyone complains about, and it was a real let-down, but I also had random shutdown issues so I took it back and got a new one, and I haven't had a problem since. I really think the next step, after att/samsung quits stalling, is going to be to replace everyones phones that have the problem. I am convinced it's a hardware issue, something they noticed after an initial batch, but they let them ship anyway and are waiting to see how far they can get before replacing 6239834567347 units.

The GPS on my Captivate has been flaky before the update, after the update, and after I installed the leaked 2.2. Its kinda funny though. As I'm driving and put the Navigate app in satellite layer mode, it shows my little arrow cursor driving through houses. Some times if I have to stop at a light it just decides that I ran the light and kept going straight. It got about 6 blocks ahead of me before the light turned green. Another time I turned right, my cursor kept going straight.
    Thank God I have my Nexus One. Maybe I'll record both phones in Navigate mode just to see the difference.
    The N1's GPS is scary how precise it is while the Captivate's GPS is just... scary.

I remember reading somewhere yesterday that Captivate Froyo would be coming via a new release of Kies later in November. Can anyone confirm?

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    I think it's been confirmed the Captivate's GPS is a hardware issue, as there aren't really any REAL fixes for it software wise. And about the 2.2 update... I also heard it would be arriving in November, but I didn't hear many specifics. Personally, Cognition 2.2 is perfect. I'll probably continue to just update the Cognition build because when 2.2 does officially drop, all the good parts of it will make it into his ROM, including the kernel if it's clearly better. 2.3 will be interesting though. The Captivate has well more than enough graphics horsepower to push it though. The SGX540 in the Galaxy S is a beast.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links