It seems the Captivate isn't getting the 2.2 update

This is a discussion on It seems the Captivate isn't getting the 2.2 update within the Samsung Captivate forums, part of the Samsung Android Phones category; I read that the Captivate is getting an incremental update instead of the full 2.2. Originally Posted by Softpedia AT&T officially stated that this is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It seems the Captivate isn't getting the 2.2 update

It seems the Captivate isn't getting the 2.2 update

I read that the Captivate is getting an incremental update instead of the full 2.2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Softpedia
    AT&T officially stated that this is not an operating system update, but it will change software version from I897UCJF6 to I897UCJH7.

AT&T Pushes New Firmware Update for Samsung Captivate - Softpedia

Samsung Captivate Getting Update This Week – Not Android 2.2 Froyo

That kinda sucks. I had expected to get Froyo and it doesn't like it's gonna happen any time soon.

Mike

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Just because this update isn't an upgrade to 2.2 doesn't mean that it isn't coming. I'm sure that the Captivate will be getting an upgrade to 2.2 and would be surprised if it doesn't get upgraded to 3.0. Actually with 3.0 rumored to be coming out next month, they may just decide to wait and push 3.0 and skip 2.2.
    Avatar courtesy of Elliott C. 'Eeyore' Evans

From what I'm reading, it will be available for the Captivate sometime in Oct (I think one of those links says something like that).

It seems to be going to the other Galaxy S phones though. I wonder how much AT&T has to do with the delay.

Mike

AT&T has a lot to do with the delay. When they get a copy of 2.2 they dont just toss it right out. they go though it and add a bunch of crap ware and change the UI and it takes time to make all these changes. Thats why Verizon and all the others take so much time to get there 2.2’s out. I hear 3.0 will stop all this and make 1 common android os and stop all these changes by carriers. (I hope)

Darkomen

Quote Originally Posted by Darkomen View Post
    AT&T has a lot to do with the delay. When they get a copy of 2.2 they dont just toss it right out. they go though it and add a bunch of crap ware and change the UI and it takes time to make all these changes. Thats why Verizon and all the others take so much time to get there 2.2's out. I hear 3.0 will stop all this and make 1 common android os and stop all these changes by carriers. (I hope)

Darkomen
    I'm guessin' here but I would have thought that the manufacturer of the phone would get and configure the update for their hardware and for AT&T’s service. I would seem way too hard to have the Android coders to put out an update, then the manufacturer configure it for their hardware, followed by AT&T putting their spin on it.

Wouldn’t it make more sense that say Samsung gets the update and configures it to run on their hardware and a given network? I could be wrong...it wouldn’t be the first time.

I guess I misunderstood how the OS worked. I thought Google put out the OS that the manufacturers then configured for their hardware (e.g. drivers) and added in the carrier specific apps. Are you saying that, other than drivers, hardware specific configuration, and carrier specific apps, the Android OS on one carrier is different from another carrier?

Mike

i just tried upgrading through kies first kies automatically updated and then i tried upgrading again and then it walked me through saving my contacts then it went to upgrade screen it said that the latest version is already installed before it updated it said that the device firmware is not able to be upgraded it looks like that at&t is getting ready for the upgrade the build number to kies is version 1.5.310093_31

My phone is downloading an update right now. I checked for updates in the setting menu.

Mike

Edit: It installed without a problem. Now to see what there is to see.

thats just a minor update not a firmware upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by MicroBeta View Post
    I'm guessin' here but I would have thought that the manufacturer of the phone would get and configure the update for their hardware and for AT&T’s service. I would seem way too hard to have the Android coders to put out an update, then the manufacturer configure it for their hardware, followed by AT&T putting their spin on it.

Wouldn’t it make more sense that say Samsung gets the update and configures it to run on their hardware and a given network? I could be wrong...it wouldn’t be the first time.

I guess I misunderstood how the OS worked. I thought Google put out the OS that the manufacturers then configured for their hardware (e.g. drivers) and added in the carrier specific apps. Are you saying that, other than drivers, hardware specific configuration, and carrier specific apps, the Android OS on one carrier is different from another carrier?

Mike

You are right, I don’t know why i kept saying AT&T. My bad

Quote Originally Posted by bandaid1968 View Post
    thats just a minor update not a firmware upgrade
    That update was to fix the GPS problems. I heard that some GPS’s were way off and would go off one direction while you went another lol. If thats true, did it fix it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links