SIM card questions

This is a discussion on SIM card questions within the Samsung Captivate forums, part of the Samsung Android Phones category; Hi all, I have a few questions regarding sim cards. I currently have an iphone 4 with the dreaded micro sim. I had a 3g ...

Thread: SIM card questions

SIM card questions

Hi all,

I have a few questions regarding sim cards. I currently have an iphone 4 with the dreaded micro sim. I had a 3g iphone , and did the upgrade to get the iphone 4. Therefore, I still have my regular sim card from the 3g. My captivate arrived in the mail today. Can I use my regular sim from the old 3g? Or do I have to go the microsim adapter route?

thanks!

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Google Advertisement
    Android.net is the premier Android Forum on the internet.

I didn't think that the iPhone stored contacts and such on the SIM, I thought it could only import from the SIM but didn't save anything back to it.

What type of desktop/laptop are you using? Do you have a PC or Mac? If you are using a Mac, you can just sync your iPhone with your Mac and then go into the Address Book app and export all of the contacts a vcards and then import that into your Captivate. I did this for my wife's Captivate when she migrated over from her iPhone 3G.

If you have a PC, I suppose you can follow a similar process substituting PC programs where needed. I suppose you can use Outlook if available. I can't remember offhand which programs the Windows version of iTunes will sync with.
    Avatar courtesy of Elliott C. 'Eeyore' Evans @ www.ee0r.com

Quote Originally Posted by jmgib View Post
    I didn't think that the iPhone stored contacts and such on the SIM, I thought it could only import from the SIM but didn't save anything back to it.

What type of desktop/laptop are you using? Do you have a PC or Mac? If you are using a Mac, you can just sync your iPhone with your Mac and then go into the Address Book app and export all of the contacts a vcards and then import that into your Captivate. I did this for my wife's Captivate when she migrated over from her iPhone 3G.

If you have a PC, I suppose you can follow a similar process substituting PC programs where needed. I suppose you can use Outlook if available. I can't remember offhand which programs the Windows version of iTunes will sync with.
    I actually have both a mac and a pc, so I'm good there. I'm more interested in whether or not the my old "regular" sim card from my 3g iphone will function correctly with the captivate. Meaning, is it still valid? OR will I have to use an adapter with the iphone 4's microsim in order for the device to be recognized and fuction on AT&t's network.

Any data or information stored on the old SIM card should still be there. The card is just not active and cannot be used in a phone to access ATT's network, just as the SIM in your iPhone4 will not be active as soon as you activate your Captivate.

Quote Originally Posted by jmgib View Post
    Any data or information stored on the old SIM card should still be there. The card is just not active and cannot be used in a phone to access ATT's network, just as the SIM in your iPhone4 will not be active as soon as you activate your Captivate.
    Ahh. The missing ingredient is that the captivate was purchased off of ebay. I was hoping to just pop the iphone 4's card, or the old 3g card in, and away we go.

In that case, you may have to get an adapter. You may can try contacting ATT to see if they can just give you a SIM. You may need to contact them anyway, since you'll have to change your plan since the iPhone uses specific data/messaging plans as opposed to all of the other smartphones.

Ads