unlimited data/texting plan carry over

This is a discussion on unlimited data/texting plan carry over within the Samsung Captivate forums, part of the Samsung Android Phones category; Originally Posted by Dorian If I call AT&crap and I find out that you're correct, I'm going to be VERY angry. That was not what ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: unlimited data/texting plan carry over

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
    If I call AT&crap and I find out that you're correct, I'm going to be VERY angry. That was not what I was told when I upgraded, as they forced me to get an updated data plan. They told me that to get the phone I wanted, and to get it with a subsidy, I had to change to the new plans. If I could have kept my Unlimited plan, and still upgraded, I'm giving AT&T a visit tomorrow, and I WILL leave there with the plan they strong-arm'd me out of.
    Well, make sure you let us know what happens. Good luck.

Thank you for all the help with my question, I can't wait to get my new phone!!

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by ztrainjetsfan View Post
    Well, make sure you let us know what happens. Good luck.
    Immediately after posting that, I went to the local corporate store. It's literally like 1.5 minutes from where I live by bike. Anyways, this is what they said, and the rep I spoke to on the phone gave me the exact same answer, so I'm inclined to believe it this time...

If you had an Unlimited Data plan, with ANY phone, you could upgrade to an iPhone and be grandfathered into keeping the Unlimited plan WITH the iPhone, on subsidy.

If you had an Unlimited Data plan with an iPhone and were at the end of your contract, and wanted to upgrade to the NEW iPhone, you could keep your Unlimited iPhone Data plan.

If you had an iPhone with the iPhone Unlimited Data plan, and wanted to upgrade to any other phone besides the iPhone, you would lose the Unlimited Data, and have to be signed up for the DataPro/Plus plans.

See my previous phone to the Backflip was a Tilt2 with Unlimited Data. And before that I had the Tilt. With both of those phones my data usage was very conservative, because really, what could you possibly do on Windows Mobile 6.5 to consume more than 5GB's worth of data. If you could reach that cap without tethering, that would be considered a MAJOR achievement. But with devices with Android and iOS, it's really easy to do, and it's even easier to hit 2GB. If they still offered Unlimited Data at even $40, I'd pay for it. I just cannot stand the 2GB cap. I use my phone for business purposes, and I can hit 2GB in less than 30mins on my home landline based internet. I do file transfers, backup's, imaging, editing, etc... and it's amazing how fast that cap went by that first month I had Android.

If you plan on getting the Captivate with a new contract, you'll have to change your plan to fit the Captivate. If you change it now to unlimited data/msg then it will get modified when you sign/consent to the new contract. You'll have to change to a new Data Plus/Pro plan, but I think messaging is agnostic of which phone you have.
    I think he's upgrading, and signing a new agreement. If this is the case, he can keep the unlimited Smartphone data plan. As long as you are on an unlimited SP, iPhone, or Blackberry plan, you can switch between them and keep the unlimited data. I just did that going from my iPhone.

Junior Member straw55_attdroids's Avatar
    If I call AT&crap and I find out that you're correct, I'm going to be VERY angry. That was not what I was told when I upgraded, as they forced me to get an updated data plan. They told me that to get the phone I wanted, and to get it with a subsidy, I had to change to the new plans. If I could have kept my Unlimited plan, and still upgraded, I'm giving AT&T a visit tomorrow, and I WILL leave there with the plan they strong-arm'd me out of.

Unless you came from another carrier that att has bought lately, or had an real old grandfathered plan, you should not had to get a new plan, and I do NOT blame you one bit as to being very, repeat Very P.O.'ed and when you go to the store I'd even ask for the store managers boss so the rep who helped you be disciplined or fired, they get commissioned on what they sale.

I don't know if anyone who doesn't know this, but here goes, I'm on internet A LOT since about 1993 I personally HATE the cap also, if you have WiFi access, data usage does not, REPEAT does not go against your data plan while you are on WiFi

This is what happened to me. I had a unlimited data plan with my previous phone and a couple months ago bought a samsung captivate, soon after inserting my sim card into the new phone i recieved a text message from at&t that said something like this " Did you know your phone requires a new smartphone data plan? We have automaticaly took care of this for you. Please contact us at blah blah blah." Contacted at&t and was told you had to have a new data plan and could not keep the unlimited data plan with a smartphone. So i tried and the could tell that i changed phones and automatically changed my plan to fit my new phone.

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by tattoosimpson View Post
    This is what happened to me. I had a unlimited data plan with my previous phone and a couple months ago bought a samsung captivate, soon after inserting my sim card into the new phone i recieved a text message from at&t that said something like this " Did you know your phone requires a new smartphone data plan? We have automaticaly took care of this for you. Please contact us at blah blah blah." Contacted at&t and was told you had to have a new data plan and could not keep the unlimited data plan with a smartphone. So i tried and the could tell that i changed phones and automatically changed my plan to fit my new phone.
    Yep. When I gave my Tilt2 to a friend, he was coming from a Samsung flip dumbphone, and when he put his SIM in the Tilt2, the next day he got that same message. AT&T identifies which phone you are using by the IMEI of the phone you put your SIM in when it registers with the network upon bootup. It's almost an instantaneous change if you look at your account online. They know which phone you're using pretty darn quick.

One thing I will add to what straw55 has said, if you call the At&t Service Center, you can get the $18 fee waived for one phone line.

I held off getting the Captivate for a while because I thought I would have to come into a current data plan. I did not want to lose the unlimited data plan like most of us. When I mentioned this to the salesman in the store he told me that my rate plan had nothing to do with the subsidized phone. As long as you agree to the 2 Year contract you can keep the same rate plan and get the better phone price. This was great since I had been using the T-Mobile G1 on the At&t network for over a year, getting EDGE network speeds.

Good point smoore00, the only thing is some stores,(usually not AT&T) can get the upgrade fee waived, Walmart, Radio Shack, Best Buy, and such, and usually for holiday sales that are coming up, and when you switch SIM cards it's done by the billing system automatically, NOT by people, put a SIM from dumb phone to smart phone and it WILL recognize it as a smart phone, and automatically put on the smart phone data plan, and after I've seen some of the bills (some as much as $2500) that people incur after doing this, I do kinda agree to that logic, most of the reps that I work with are trying to help customers get the best deals.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links