Just Ordered a Captivate

This is a discussion on Just Ordered a Captivate within the Samsung Captivate forums, part of the Samsung Android Phones category; deleted by author...

Thread: Just Ordered a Captivate

Android Addict marvin_attdroids's Avatar

Just Ordered a Captivate

deleted by author

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I have a love hate relationship with my Captivate. Few things that you should do before you even leave the AT&T store. Test GPS and see if it is working. Also make sure you get the warranty for the phone. It is notorious for having random shutdown issues that will require you to replace it.

.... And this is just my opinion. But the "stock" Samsung ROM that comes with the device is junk. I had to go to another site and figure out how to ROOT the device and install a customized ROM just to get the phone to run right.

So Good luck... it will be night and day from your Backflip to the Captivate. But... there is a cost.

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    IDK about ^that... But mine has been fine. The random shutdown issue isn't a hardware issue, it's a kernel issue. AT&T's firmware has bugs... The random shutdowns and the "sleep of death" are because sometimes the kernel will clock the CPU too low in standby, and cause the phone to freeze while sleeping, but those can be solved quite easily. There are a TON of ROM's and kernels at XDA (stock or community builds) and even a Cyanogen Mod in the pipeline. Cyanogen Mod is in alpha stages right now. Though what he says about the GPS is true. The later revision handsets don't exhibit GPS issues, only the early batches. Grats on the purchase though! I'm sure she'll love it!

PS.. I'm about to release my own custom ROM for the Captivate. It's based on a GT-i9000 ROM, with an adapted i9000 kernel.

I've used a lot of cell phones over the last 12 years (including an iPhone) and the Captivate is by far my favorite. Good luck with it.

Mike

deleted by author

deleted by author

Sup Marvin, my Captivate is by far the best phone in my opinion. Once you get it go to your market and dl " All Video Download " You can get full movies to utilize the movie capabilities. and its all free. Just use wifi if you dont still have the $30 unlimited package. fyi

deleted by author

I have had my Captivate for about a month too.....I've not had any random shutdown issues....the odd time I get a freeze and that app will then FC....the phone is fast , loads of memory, for me no need to change browsers, the stock texter is fine...one thing that does disappoint me is Touch Wiz , it's worthless, it has promise but looks and feels like it's half finished ......I think I read that gets an overhaul in 2.2.....I miss the News widgets on the BF(when they worked).....the Samsung widgets are pretty useless ...I am using the Feeds and Updates app...see, that has promise but it could be a lot better...the BF gave me my first taste of Android , definitely it made me want more and the Captivate fulfills that......

Like Marivn said it is an entirely different experience than the BF , for the first week I found some thing like contacts rather confusing.

I'm waiting on the update to 2.2 but not going crazy about it....guess what?, Samsung people complain about them just as much as Moto people complain about Moto....

The Captivate really is a beautiful phone , when people hold it they go WOW....

deleted by author

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links