Wifi Tether App

This is a discussion on Wifi Tether App within the Samsung Captivate forums, part of the Samsung Android Phones category; Hey guys, I'm kinda new to android. I just rooted my samsung captivate and want to install the wifi tether app onto it. I have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wifi Tether App

Wifi Tether App

Hey guys, I'm kinda new to android. I just rooted my samsung captivate and want to install the wifi tether app onto it. I have the apk file and on my phone but when I try to install it I get the "for security, your phone is set to block installation of applications not sourced in android market." I know there's a way around it, I'm just not sure how. Are there any suggestions?

Also, any other cool apps or things I can do to my phone since its' been rooted?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    I'm not sure that the Captivate's stock software will support the WiFi Tether app. Try Barnacle from the market, or a Froyo leaked build that includes the WiFi AP built into the settings...

Stock Captivate will not support WI FI tether. Has to be rooted.

my phone is rooted, but still doesn't work.

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by ngo09 View Post
    my phone is rooted, but still doesn't work.
    Even rooted, the Captivate doesn't support that. That app has to have a special kernel to run. Try Barnacle WiFi Tether from the market. It does the same thing.

EDIT: You may have to enable flight mode to be able to see that app in the market. Either flight mode, or temporarily remove your SIM card.

What Dorian says is correct.

Sent from my MB300 using Tapatalk
    Avatar courtesy of Elliott C. 'Eeyore' Evans

Quote Originally Posted by ngo09 View Post
    Hey guys, I'm kinda new to android. I just rooted my samsung captivate and want to install the wifi tether app onto it. I have the apk file and on my phone but when I try to install it I get the "for security, your phone is set to block installation of applications not sourced in android market." I know there's a way around it, I'm just not sure how. Are there any suggestions?

Also, any other cool apps or things I can do to my phone since its' been rooted?
    Actually, everyone here is somewhat wrong. It may not support it due to kernel, but there are ways around it like for the Backflip. But, this being said, you wouldn't know until you have actually installed the software.

The reason you cannot install the software is because you need to go do this:

Settings>Applications>Unknown Sources

Check that box. It will allow you to install applications not in the Android Market, because the message you received said, you phone is set to block install of apps not in the Market.

Afterward you can install it and if you have any issues actually running the app, feel free to ask.

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by apwhitelaw View Post
    Actually, everyone here is somewhat wrong. It may not support it due to kernel, but there are ways around it like for the Backflip. But, this being said, you wouldn't know until you have actually installed the software.

The reason you cannot install the software is because you need to go do this:

Settings>Applications>Unknown Sources

Check that box. It will allow you to install applications not in the Android Market, because the message you received said, you phone is set to block install of apps not in the Market.

Afterward you can install it and if you have any issues actually running the app, feel free to ask.
    Only thing wrong there is that unless you have a custom ROM installed, you can't check the "Unknown Sources" box. If the APK is on your phone, you can pull it over to your computer and use Android Sideload Wonder Machine, or ADB to sideload the app.

Actually my ROM for the Captivate has Mobile AP built into the settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
    Only thing wrong there is that unless you have a custom ROM installed, you can't check the "Unknown Sources" box. If the APK is on your phone, you can pull it over to your computer and use Android Sideload Wonder Machine, or ADB to sideload the app.

Actually my ROM for the Captivate has Mobile AP built into the settings.
    I thought the unknown sources box was a Backflip only issue. People were getting mad because they just took everything good about Android out of the Backflip. Guess I'm wrong.

Best way to solve this though, is to install the leaked Froyo updated. You'll have Froyo, built in wifi tether, and you won't have to wait for Samsung to come out with the update(although unless you want root features or something it'd be good to update to official 2.2 when it comes out. I'm sure someone will root the official software anyways.)

The stock kernel doesn't allow for "Wifi tether". You can use Barnacle to work around this, but as Dorian and I both already stated, this is really the only option on the stock firmware. Now, if you want to install custom ROMs that is another story.
    Avatar courtesy of Elliott C. 'Eeyore' Evans

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links