Nexus S vs Captivate

This is a discussion on Nexus S vs Captivate within the Samsung Captivate forums, part of the Samsung Android Phones category; Which one should I get? One seems to have features that other doesn't, and vice versa. I was thinking of Captivate all along but then ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nexus S vs Captivate

Nexus S vs Captivate

Which one should I get? One seems to have features that other doesn't, and vice versa.

I was thinking of Captivate all along but then someone mentioned I should get Nexus S since it just came out and all, but come on, it doesn't even have 720p video? Not that I care, I have a 1080p camcorder, but still, seems like a standard for these top of the line phones these days.

Anyways, is there anything that really sets either of these phones apart?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Nexus S doesn't have an external SD slot for expandable memory. It doesn't record video in 720p. It also only has Bluetooth 2.1.
    But it does have a genuine Google Experience version of Android, and it's got NFC features.

The Captivate has an external SD slot expandable up to 32GB. It features 720p video recording, and Bluetooth 3.0.
    It doesn't have software updates from Google, and it doesn't feature NFC.

Personally, I'd get the Captivate though. It actually has a more premium feel and build quality than the Nexus S. Not to mention the external SD.

I wouldn't need the external SD, considering it has 16GB onboard. But, I don't quite understand the NFC. But it doesn't sound like someone I could or would want to be able to use.

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by apwhitelaw View Post
    I wouldn't need the external SD, considering it has 16GB onboard. But, I don't quite understand the NFC. But it doesn't sound like someone I could or would want to be able to use.
    Yea, NFC is HUGE in Japan. You can use your phone as your payment option there by just swiping your phone or laying it down on the pad at the payment counter. Eventually I see that coming here, but it's definitely not a feature you'd use often at the moment..lol. Google looks to be the company that is bringing it to the US though. But the only things that Google would be using it for so far is as an add on to Google Places.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
    Yea, NFC is HUGE in Japan. You can use your phone as your payment option there by just swiping your phone or laying it down on the pad at the payment counter. Eventually I see that coming here, but it's definitely not a feature you'd use often at the moment..lol. Google looks to be the company that is bringing it to the US though. But the only things that Google would be using it for so far is as an add on to Google Places.
    Yeah, I'll stick to the Captivate for now. Once NFC is actually useful here in the US, I'll consider getting a phone with it, because by that time I'm sure a huge variety of phones will have it.

Also keep in mind that if you are on ATT's network, even with the unlocked Nexus S, you'll only be able to get Edge data speeds. It doesn't support ATTs 3G frequencies.
    Avatar courtesy of Elliott C. 'Eeyore' Evans

Quote Originally Posted by jmgib View Post
    Also keep in mind that if you are on ATT's network, even with the unlocked Nexus S, you'll only be able to get Edge data speeds. It doesn't support ATTs 3G frequencies.
    Oh, didn't know that. Thanks.

Definitely can't live without 3G!

Android Addict marvin_attdroids's Avatar
    deleted by author

On the side of rooting and modding google has decided to leave the phone open to anyone who wants to create custom roms for the nexus s.This means security can literally just be turned off.Google has decided (not the OEMs or the carriers) that in order to bridge the gap between their security team and people who wish to modify the software on their phone to allow their nexus line of phones to be modified.Instead they are focusing on what is important.App security for developers.

However that doesnt even matter at this point in time since both can be rooted.If i had to choose between the two it would be the captivate for obvious reasons.1)expandability 2)3G bands.

Sorry for bringing all of that other stuff up since it doesnt even matter i just thought it was cool what google was doing.
    CURRENT
    HTC Aria-Rooted
    Motorola Backflip Bricked getting replacement =(

FORMER
    HTC Touch Pro (Fuze)
    LG Incite-Returned.
    ATT Tilt Broken charger port.

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by SSeymour View Post
    On the side of rooting and modding google has decided to leave the phone open to anyone who wants to create custom roms for the nexus s.This means security can literally just be turned off.Google has decided (not the OEMs or the carriers) that in order to bridge the gap between their security team and people who wish to modify the software on their phone to allow their nexus line of phones to be modified.Instead they are focusing on what is important.App security for developers.

However that doesnt even matter at this point in time since both can be rooted.If i had to choose between the two it would be the captivate for obvious reasons.1)expandability 2)3G bands.

Sorry for bringing all of that other stuff up since it doesnt even matter i just thought it was cool what google was doing.
    Definitely cool that Google is doing that, IMO. It gives developers a small sigh of relief. And MIGHT, might open the door to Netflix being deployed on Android OS. I've thought for a while that the Galaxy S phones have had the best of security and mod-ability. Motorola locks their platforms down WAY too tight. Samsung did a good thing with the Galaxy S/Nexus, letting you do what you want with the phone you just paid for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links