Am I using 3G or Wifi?

This is a discussion on Am I using 3G or Wifi? within the Samsung Captivate forums, part of the Samsung Android Phones category; So far, I've only been using my new Captivate at home on my Wifi... 3G only came on when I access the market. Now it's ...

Thread: Am I using 3G or Wifi?

Am I using 3G or Wifi?

So far, I've only been using my new Captivate at home on my Wifi... 3G only came on when I access the market. Now it's started staying on. With a limitation now on my data usage, I want to be assured that 3G is not using it up. I noticed once, I tested it on 3G with Wifi off and saw little, red up & down arrows flashing on the 3G icon, is that the only time it is actually moving data? When I turned Wifi back on, the 3G stayed lit, but didn't notice the red arrows up & down.

Would I just go to the Market and search for 3G watchdog?

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Google Advertisement
    Android.net is the premier Android Forum on the internet.

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    If you don't see the little arrows flashing up or down, then data isn't being sent over 3G. The 3G comes up when you access the market, because the market checks to see what network you're on, and offers carrier customized results based on the network fingerprint. That's how AT&T blocks certain apps out of the Android Market, like PDANet, which is a tethering app. Usually if you can't find an app, you can put your phone in airplane mode, or in extreme cases, remove your SIM... then everything in the Market is shown because it can't get cellular network information then.

That's interesting, thanks. I noticed that I could only find one local news station here that I could use and view the videos... one says Java has to be enabled (which it is) one, the videos never load after is prompts me to view in Browser or Video Player (Video Player only plays back the audio) then I found one that actually downloads the videos first from the browser, then I have to double click, .exe/play it. You'd think one of them would steam it. On the one that works, I noticed a link to install a widget for them on my desktop but phone blocked it. A lot of peculiar stuff here when your used to surfing the web on a laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
    put your phone in airplane mode
    Another curious note, when I switch to airplane mode, it disconnects from wifi and 3g (all wireless connections) then I have to re wifi, is that what you mean?

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by timbuk2 View Post
    That's interesting, thanks. I noticed that I could only find one local news station here that I could use and view the videos... one says Java has to be enabled (which it is) one, the videos never load after is prompts me to view in Browser or Video Player (Video Player only plays back the audio) then I found one that actually downloads the videos first from the browser, then I have to double click, .exe/play it. You'd think one of them would steam it. On the one that works, I noticed a link to install a widget for them on my desktop but phone blocked it. A lot of peculiar stuff here when your used to surfing the web on a laptop.
    Of course the AT&T default firmware blocks lots of things.

Quote Originally Posted by timbuk2 View Post
    Another curious note, when I switch to airplane mode, it disconnects from wifi and 3g (all wireless connections) then I have to re wifi, is that what you mean?
    Yep. Airplane mode cuts off all radios, but then you can manually re-enable the ones you need like WiFi. Meanwhile cellular will stay off until you take it off airplane mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
    If you don't see the little arrows flashing up or down, then data isn't being sent over 3G. The 3G comes up when you access the market, because the market checks to see what network you're on, and offers carrier customized results based on the network fingerprint. That's how AT&T blocks certain apps out of the Android Market, like PDANet, which is a tethering app. Usually if you can't find an app, you can put your phone in airplane mode, or in extreme cases, remove your SIM... then everything in the Market is shown because it can't get cellular network information then.
    FYI i tried that with the no sim card and all it did for my phone was make it none working...Not sure whats up but i tried it..

Then you didn't do something correct. When you remove the SIM card you should still be able to connect to Wifi to access the market.
    Avatar courtesy of Elliott C. 'Eeyore' Evans @ www.ee0r.com

Ads