WiFi not working

This is a discussion on WiFi not working within the Samsung Captivate forums, part of the Samsung Android Phones category; Magic, you describe my situation to a T. I called Samsung and the csr stumbled through some things which were no help. She just wanted ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WiFi not working

Magic, you describe my situation to a T. I called Samsung and the csr stumbled through some things which were no help. She just wanted to send me another phone. With you having the same difficulty, I'm doubting that it is our phones. I emailed support, but they are not responsive to emails.
    Clarence, I certainly appreciate your interest and suggestions. I'm using a Linksys G router, but it works fine with everything else. The other clue to some setting problem is that I have the same situation with another network (a neighbor doesn't use security).
    I don't know where this leaves us except to just take advantage of the 30-day return policy.

Wow, sorry Georgiaed. Now I'm reading (in the user manual) that the phone will accept WPA security when used with Wi-Fi Protected setup. I give up.

More attempts, more failure

Tried changing my WPA to WPA2 with a different algorithm setting that someone mentioned worked for them. Same problem with the phone. Also tried upgrading firmware, but same issues still there. Might try a third party firmware someone suggested, but maybe not. If I can't find a solution soon the phone will have to be returned.

The sad thing about all of this is that I won't be using my phone on the home network all that much. It's just that if it doesn't work on this network how can I trust it to work on other networks?

Magic, you have described my situation to a T. That's exactly my problem. I assume (big mistake) that the router is working okay since every time I do a soft reset, I can go online for awhile, then it fails. The same problem happens with another network (my neighbor doesn't use security) and since it is happening with your phone as well it seems to point to some setting or software problem on the phones. I'd like to have this resolved before my 30-day return period ends.
    Clarence, thanks for your interest and suggestions. I am using WEP security, but it just doesn't make it work.

The only other thing I can think of is checking your wireless sleep mode settings. I was going to look at that last night (I bought the phone for my wife so I don't carry one although I act like it's mine). I doubt if that has anything to do with it. If it is a phone setting, the place I'd look would be your network settings. It is bewildering to think that the 2 captivates I bought (one for my grandson too) hooked up to my home network without a hitch and you guys are having nothing but trouble. Does your neighbor have a wireless N network? If not, do you know anyone that does? That shouldn't be a factor since the phone recognizes G and N, and probably B as well. Have you tried going to a McDonald's and attempt to tap in to the AT&T hotspot?

I've got some good news! My two phones now work on my home network. I had to do the last resort option of resetting my router to factory settings and calling my isp to get internet working again. After that everything worked fine. The bad news of course is that I still don't know what it was that was causing the mess up between my phone and network. So unfortunately, if this fix doesn't work for any of you having the same problem I don't know what to tell you. Very happy that the phones work though! Tried them on other networks and they worked fine too! Now I don't have to return them. Thanks to all who offered help. It is much appreciated. Good luck to those who still have problems!

Magic, your "fix" puzzles me. I can't go online with other networks. I wonder how resetting my router would matter since my problem will no doubt remain on the other routers if they are not reset?

My advice: Try your phone at public wi-fi hot spots like a McDonald's or any other place that has free wi-fi. If it works follow Plan A. If it doesn't follow Plan B.

Plan A. If it works fine there then you know that your phone does work and that it's just being picky with your network (and your neighbors who may have a similar network). Reset your router to factory settings (but back up your configuration first if you can). Keep in mind you may have to contact your isp after resetting your router to get internet. Try your phone and see if it works then. If not I'm out of ideas.

Plan B. If you have the same problems at those free wi-fi spots then your specific phone is the problem. The Captivate does work it just is picky with CERTAIN networks. Return your phone for another Captivate. Try the second phone at a wifi hot spot and if it works you know that the phone itself does work. Then try it at home. If it doesn't work on your home network then try resetting the router to factory settings as directed in Plan A.

Hope this helps you in some way. Just know that the phone is good when it works and it does work! Keep up hope and keep trying to get this to work before you have to return it. It is worth it in the end.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links