WiFi not working

This is a discussion on WiFi not working within the Samsung Captivate forums, part of the Samsung Android Phones category; I'm a Captivate newcomer. I have connected my phone to my home network and it shows Wi-Fi is on that network, but every time I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WiFi not working

WiFi not working

I'm a Captivate newcomer. I have connected my phone to my home network and it shows Wi-Fi is on that network, but every time I try to open the browser or market it gives a server unavailable error. If I turn Wi-Fi off, I can connect. The only thing that works with Wi-Fi on is gmail. Anyone have a clue what is wrong?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Check your router to see if you have network filtering turned on (unless you already know the answer). I often forget that small detail when I try to add another device to my home network.

Thanks for the suggestion, Clarence, but the only filtering my router has is for MAC devices and I wouldn't know how to give my phone (or computers) the proper ID. It confuses me that the Gmail works, but nothing else. The phone says I'm connected to the network, but I get an error every time I try to go online.

Android Addict marvin_attdroids's Avatar
    deleted by author

Georgiaed, as Marvin has suggested, do you know whether you have MAC address filtering turned on? My guess would be it is not on, otherwise you would not be able to connect any devices to your home network. My uneducated guess is that you are accessing gmail through AT&T and not your wireless network. Do you have any other devices connected to your router besides your PC? With little else to go on, trouble shooting by asking what may seem like obvious questions is all I can offer. Did you set up your network or did your internet provider set it up? What kind of router do you have and what is your level of expertise with router setups in general? The solution is likely simple but more information is required.

Marvin, Clarence, I checked the router setup and MAC is not turned on. However, I tried the old standby, take the phone battery out and place it back in. Voila. I'm online. I appreciate your interest and help. I hope you are around when my next stumper comes up.

HAAAA! That's funny. That is the standard fix in my office when our CAD software decides to take a vacation - REBOOT!

I need to revisit this problem. My WiFi connection repeatedly fails to let me online. I do the soft reset, it works for awhile and then fails. I was able to connect to another network with the same results. This phone is less than a week old. Does anyone suspect a fault in the phone or some other gotcha?

I am having the same problem. The captivate says it's connected to my network, but I can't get on the internet. I tried adding the MAC address to my router even though MAC filtering was never on. That didn't work. In fact my router already recognized my MAC address. It knows my phone is connected to the network, but I still don't have access to the internet. All other things connected to the network such as laptops and an Xbox work fine. I've turned router on and off, turned phone on and off, told phone to forget network then found network again and all of that. I've also tried setting up a static ip. It's always the same result: phone connects to network, but I can't actually access anything at all through the network. 3G works fine. Haven't tried my phone on any other network yet as I just got it, but another captivate phone purchased on the same day also has the same problem. I am using WPA personal for my Router. That shouldn't be a problem right? I mean it's commonly used and it's acknowledged by my phone. Anybody have any suggestions? I called Samsung, but none of the things they offered worked.

Sorry, but I just realized that I use WEP security and as I was reading the Captivate user manual, apparently the phone will only recognize WEP or Open Network security settings. Try changing your security to WEP and see what happens. Ignore the rest of this post unless you have insomnia.

On my home network I typically do not broadcast my SSID. Last night I noticed that I had forgotten to hide it the last time I tinkered with my router settings. After I hid it, my Captivate would not connect to my router. It said it was out of range. So, I set it up again and deleted the connection that said "out of range". Short story long, check your SSID setting. This may or may not be your problem. I'm just sayin': I saw strange behavior (to me) from the Captivate when I hid my SSID. I use WPA security as well. Do you have a wireless N router? Do you guys happen to have the same router? I have a D-Link Dir-655 and the first time I turned on the wireless on the Captivate it acquired a signal in about 2 seconds. My old Blackberry used to take minutes. The BB was wireless G, however. My router has settings for handling mixed mode (wireless N and G in the same house) networks. Poke around those settings and see what you find. These are WAG's (Wild A*s Guesses) so don't take them as gospel. I'd still like to think the answer is easy but of course, a bad phone is always a possibility. Oh, one other thing. I don't know what level of expertise you guys have so I'm gonna throw stuff out there and if you already know what I'm talking about - sorry. My router will also work with the wireless B protocol and I can set it up to see only wireless B. I am not certain if the Captivate will negotiate a wireless B signal. Someone here must know. Poke around in your router. There should be a help file to explain what the settings are and how they affect the router. If you make it unusable, you can always restore the factory settings. Actually, you might consider saving your current settings first (there's probably an option for that and if there is, you can reload them). I have played around with my router enough to make some things (like a printer) not work and make my throughput for stuff like my slingbox unbearable. So, I kept at it and in the process figured out out to make it work best for me. Some of the most innocuous settings can do the most harm. Alright, 'nuff said. Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links