AT&T Froyo upgrade bricked my Samsung Captivate

This is a discussion on AT&T Froyo upgrade bricked my Samsung Captivate within the Samsung Captivate forums, part of the Samsung Android Phones category; AT&T and Samsung finally released the upgrade to Froyo for the Samsung Captivate on the 24th! And guess what? It bricked my phone!!! It failed ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AT&T Froyo upgrade bricked my Samsung Captivate

Junior Member .|. ugly_face .|.'s Avatar

AT&T Froyo upgrade bricked my Samsung Captivate

Name:  Crappy-Phone.jpg
Views: 1729
Size:  88.0 KB

AT&T and Samsung finally released the upgrade to Froyo for the Samsung Captivate on the 24th! And guess what? It bricked my phone!!! It failed in the middle and now my phone is dead. All i see now is the attached image and I can do nothing about it! Can anyone please help me?

I called Samsung, and they want me to send it in for six days and that is really inconvenient. AT&T will probably say the same thing!

[I hate this- Android is awesome, but the manufacturers and the carriers are making it really hard for me to want to stick with this OS! The difference between Android phones and iPhones is very little if I need to JAILBREAK them to use them the way I want!!!]

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

How to unbrick the totally bricked Captivate - xda-developers There is a guide. I was messing around on my phone and got the same thing a few days ago and this worked. You do have to get the odin flasher that will put the stock firmware on you phone. THen you can go from there. Goodluck!

WERA689
    I'd love to know it you get it worked out, face. Please post back.

dandroid
    I just performed the upgrade for someone and didn't have any issues, please let us know if that fixed it for ya..

Junior Member .|. ugly_face .|.'s Avatar
    I am a total noob in the world of phone/OS manipulations, so I was too chicken to try Danhare's way! Thank you very much by the way! That was really good! I feel more educated now.

What ended up doing is not going to be any help to anyone, but I simply went to nearest AT&T Device Support Center and they said they could not fix it. So they swapped my Captivate for a new one. I went home and now I have Android 2.2!!! FINALLY!!!

Now I need 2.3, but I know that won't happen without rooting it...I think I will enjoy Froyo for a while before I decide to do anything crazy!!

WERA689
    Well, that's one solution. LOL. Glad you're going again, anyway. And yeah, enjoy and learn what you have before you jump in the deep end

dandroid
    Glad to hear your back up and running. That's one thing I can say about dealing with the local AT&T around me.. they have always provided top notch service..

Glad you are working again, but if you are seriously considering trying to root and flash custom ROMs on the phone, you really need to get familiar with using Odin and getting into the download mode for emergencies when something doesn't go right.
    Avatar courtesy of Elliott C. 'Eeyore' Evans

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by jmgib View Post
    Glad you are working again, but if you are seriously considering trying to root and flash custom ROMs on the phone, you really need to get familiar with using Odin and getting into the download mode for emergencies when something doesn't go right.
    From what I read it looks like he was just looking to update to the official 2.2 from AT&T.

But yea, that was a hardcore fail there... I have actually never seen that screen, but I do know it's there. That screen comes up if there's a problem flashing the bootloader. If it detects problems or issues with any part of the update to where it might be an issue to flash the bootloader, that screen comes up. When people actually turn their phones into paperweights, it's because of a failed bootloader flash... It's not unheard of on official updates like that, but they are rare.

Very happy you got a new one though! What batch number did you get? (Should be under the battery) It will tell you basically what hardware revision your new one is.

Need Assistance? Contact me at dorian@android.net

I have done it twice now and AT&T has or is sending replacement phone. They feel as though it is Samsung problem that the upgrade has not worked. see by post here
    Try to update to 2.2 but failed - Samsung Captivate

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links