Has anyone had luck updating to 2.2?

This is a discussion on Has anyone had luck updating to 2.2? within the Samsung Captivate forums, part of the Samsung Android Phones category; If you have please post here as to what exactly what happen and what operating system you used. This is what happen to me Try ...

Thread: Has anyone had luck updating to 2.2?

Has anyone had luck updating to 2.2?

If you have please post here as to what exactly what happen and what operating system you used.

This is what happen to me Try to update to 2.2 but failed - Samsung Captivate

I did as stated in link

How Do I Update The Software On My AT&T SGH-i897 (Captivate) Phone To Android 2.2 (Froyo) Through Kies Mini For PC?

I am running Windows 7 64bit used Kies Mini for the PC, got update to down load but after having phone show yellow triangle download in progress for over 1 hr, Tried to reboot but now
    Have tried How to unbrick the totally bricked Captivate How to unbrick the totally bricked Captivate - Page 14 - xda-developers
    This phone was rooted
    but did not work

Update:
    AT&T support had know Idea of what happen. They are warranting the phone.
    Please read what the screen is doing now: it shows cellphone symbol ... Yellow triangle with ! in middle ... symbol for PC. Now tell me how to get past this and you win the prize.

Update:03/02/2011 Got replacement phone. Charge up battery till 100%.
    I booted up phone with out card. Went to emergency calls only. Shut down and installed Sims card reboot. Phone came up. Went to develop mode and turned on developmental mode to turn on USB port.
    plug in usb port loaded showing phone, turn on keis mini and showed need to go to Emergency mode. uninstall and re install new download of Keis mini. Found device started upgraded went to show yellow triangle that it was downloading, this took three minutes ,after 34 minutes showed 1 percent and side at this for two hours. I shut down program. I tried to restart program but could not find phone. unplug phone back to original problem. I tried last post link and does not show phone. I can not find phone. Still symbol for cellphone...yellow triangle...symbol for PC
    Going to call AT&T again and see if I can get replacement.
    Update: Called Samsung got tech support no help. They gave me RMA number. Will just put it back to 2.1 will not sent back with update software.

Update: Got off of phone with AT&T new phone again in mail. I have them calling me back on March 8 2011 to walk me threw update. Will repost what happens then

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I was able to update to 2.2 via kias mini/windows 7 the day 2.2 was officially released. Lasted about 15 minutes as I realized it was a step backwards from anything I was previously running.

Let me fill you in on my Captivate experience here so you know where I'm coming from on this. I'm on my 6th Captivate. The first 5 all had various hardware issues (faulty cell antenna, dead external speaker, etc). By the time I received the 5th phone, I hated AT&T & Samsung with a fiery red passion for passing off this horrible phone onto me (look at my early posts, I hated my captivate).
    So I took matters into my own hands and I started figuring out the software and how to fix it myself. Thanks to Dorian and the Captivate Hacking section here, I learned how to flash a custom rom that was 100x better than the stock 2.1 build that came with the Captivate. Unfortunately number 5 had the random shutdown issue and its IMEI number was in the right range so AT&T replaced yet another defective phone. When number 6 arrived, I was running a custom rom within 10 minutes and have only went back to stock when necessary to flash a specific rom. I can safely say that I will never willingly run the stock rom ever again.

My advice: Learn about flashing custom roms. Invest in a USB jig (just in case). Say to hell with AT&T/Samsung's answers to your problems. When your new phone arrives don't even bother with the slow and bloated software Samsung has on there. Root it, flash something better (every custom rom is immensely better than stock) and repeat as often as necessary.

edit- FYI: These days I would not trade my captivate for any other phone because of the ease of hacking and the dev community that supports this thing.
    Samsung SGH-I897 [Build 1007] - teamhacksung's ICS {Android 4.0.1}
    Asus TF101 [Build B70] - Revolver 3.9.5 {Android 3.2.1}
    HP Touchpad {WebOS 3.0.2 + CM 7.1 Alpha 3}

Junior Member straw55_attdroids's Avatar
    Had Dorians ROM on mine, was working great at the time, downloaded Kies (not the full Kies and had trouble seeing my phone, forgot to take off lagfix, took off lag fix, used Odin one-click went back to 2.1 Eclair, hooked up to Kies and everything went good. except for the offical release usability, so I went this time to 2.2.1 release which is an i9000 version di11igaf v6.0 build w/SuckerPunch kernel GPS outa this world quick lock w/at least 8, up to 10, w/lock of about 5 to 7 seconds, no other bads, except for not finding wifi everytime, as if it times out, but have it set not to time out???

Junior Member straw55_attdroids's Avatar
    edit- FYI: These days I would not trade my captivate for any other phone because of the ease of hacking and the dev community that supports this thing.

I totally agree on this until Cappy II comes out uuummm looks about Mayish, June or July, 1 year after original release, hopefully May 6th?

Is there a download out for Kies Mini for mac yet?

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links