Problems with the Epic 4G?

This is a discussion on Problems with the Epic 4G? within the Samsung Epic 4G Tech forums, part of the Samsung Epic 4G category; I want to love my Epic, but right now I wish I kept my Blackberry instead. I've had so many problems with dropped calls,...while I ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Problems with the Epic 4G?

jpc

Epic problems

I want to love my Epic, but right now I wish I kept my Blackberry instead.
    I've had so many problems with dropped calls,...while I was on the phone with Sprint, I dropped four times in 5 minutes. But it's not a network issue, it seems to be the phone. I thought it might be the proximity sensor not working and me hanging up on people by accident, but the screen blacks out when I put my hand to it so that seems ok. The Sprint guy had me update something,...I'm hoping that does the trick.

And then there's the horrible battery life! It runs super hot, and I've turned everything off. I only get 4 hours on a charge, and it seems to charge super slow (I installed a battery widget to check).

I've also noticed that there seems to be a hollow echo sound during calls as well.

I'm hoping I just got a bum phone and that they'll exchange it for me without any problems. Anyone else have these problems?

If you're having that many problems so soon i would return to the place of purchase and have them fix it. If they cant you get a new one no charge. Thats what i would do.

Normally I would never cross post, but this thread is probably where I should have post in the first place.

My wife got her Epic Friday and it activated Saturday morning. Everything is working good so far except pictures don't open in messaging. Messaging just show a useless "download" button that does nothing when pressed.

Before I call Sprint, can anyone else verify that they display messages with attached pictures fine in the messaging app.

Thank you,
    Mike

Called Sprint:

Cause of problem: WiFi - Turned it off and new messages arrive with pictures showing up and the previous messages with "download" buttons would work when the download button is pressed.

I'm not a big user of text messaging myself. Not sure why WiFi would interfere with mms.

2nd Edit:
    Did a little experimenting on my droid and Wifi doesn't interfere with picture mail in messaging. Chalking this up to a Sprint GS Epic bug.

Mike

Same reception issues

Quote Originally Posted by Allport View Post
    I've searched to see if this was an issue with just android or my epic i purchased. The issue is that i have 50%+ time without a signal and my battery is being drained within 4 hours most of the time. I live in a suburb of detroit and with my old cell phone (the rumor) i had 3-4 bars out of 4 nearly all the time. However, with the epic my service has been horrible and have been missing calls and i've even tested sending myself texts, and sometimes it'll take 2 seconds, with others taking near 3-4 minutes. Any suggestions?
    I'm having the same experience with reception from 3g as well as phone service. I roam about 70% of the time and I'm in Sprint coverage. I live in Phx,AZ. I took it to the store and the repair guy had no idea what was going on. He said I was the first to report this issue. So all he did was change my options from system select to "Sprint only". This way when I get lost signal my phone won't roam in the middle of Phx!! He told me to hold on for a 2 weeks because they don't have any tools to test the reception on the Epic. My reception is pretty spotty. I can receive 4 bars in one area then drive a mile away and receive none. I've tried resetting back to factory thinking it was software issues and that didn't work. Turning it on and off works some times.

I'm running into another bug on my wife's Epic. I initially imported around 20 contacts to a gmail account I created for her before activating her phone. When activating the phone and signing into Gmail for the first time the contacts sync'd just fine to her phone.

Today she added the rest of her contacts into her Epic and they never sync'd with gmail. I manually initiated a sync several times with no luck.

Any ideas or do I make another call to Sprint tech support?

Resolution:
    A Gmail.com search provided the solution. No bug. My wife chose "Save to Phone" instead of "Save to Google" when creating the contacts. I was unaware this option was available. I did an export from the phone and imported into Gmail. Contacts instantly sync'd. A little housecleaning and problem resolved.

Mike

Smile Down button for volume sticks

Hello ALL,
    The only problem I have so far with my Epic 4G is the volume button for the down sticks, it doesn't have the click that the UP button has, yes it does have a kind of mild click IF i pull it out a bit with my finger nail, but if I lower the volume all the way then back up and down again, the click goes away totally and at times I cant get it to lower at all, then I have to do the pull out with nail thingy again

Other than that so far the phone is amazing! The screen colors are so deep and whites are soooo white as blacks are so black everyone I show it to notices how clear and depth of the colors are great.

I am adding this, I should have read these forums first but I didnt soo here are other problems I guess I have also:

On my Blackberry I had the Facebook app and I had pictures where it shows the silhouette pictures now, I do NOT get any pictures on the Epic, I live in Sebastian FL but I am up in Pennsylvania right now packing things from our old house, we recently moved to Florida and are back to pack the last of our things, anyway, I have 1-2 bars where I live in the Poconos and reception here can really suck due to the mountains, BUT, I have had no dropped calls at all and I have my Epic set to Sprint only, no roaming, I have had a few hour long calls and never even lost the other party at all, I was impressed, I was on Nextel before with a Blackberry and it was terrible.

As for my battery life its not to bad, but I have my settings kind of in the middle, screen brightness etc, my battery doe not get to hot BUT, my sons phone also a Epic gets alot more hotter than mine.

JPC, my sons phone gets hot, alot more than mine but he still gets around 8 hours on a full charge, and he texts alot, I am waiting for his hand to turn robotic , I think you might have got a bad phone, GL on getting it fixed. Also all my calls sound great no echo.

Well, back to figuring out all that this phone offers LOL, its a huge leap from my Nextel Blackberry Curve

One more thing, has anyone got the Otterbox case for it yet, and how does it work? Any problems with it as like to get to screen or button etc? I cant find one anywhere yet and just want to make sure its good before I spend that kind of money for 2 phones

Thanks and I await your responses.
    Dennis6740

jpc

Proximity Sensor not working properly!

So I returned my defective Epic to Best Buy without any problems,...it was taking me 30 minutes to charge 1% and it was draining super fast. But then my new phone seemed to have a defective battery as well. The first morning I took it off the charger after a full charge and two hours later (nothing running, GPS, WiFi and Bluetooth off, no calls) it was already at 30% and super hot. But then after it drained completely to the point where it shut itself down, it seemed to work normally again. It started holding the charge longer,...still not as long as my husband's EVO, but way longer than I had experienced so far on the Epic. And it wasn't super hot after being charged. I can't figure out why or how it self corrected itself like that,...
    HOWEVER, I'm now having problems with "face dialing". Like I stated in my previous post, I had issues with the phone hanging up on people constantly. I finally figured out that my screen goes in and out of the keyboard lock mode when I'm on the phone, and whenever my face hits the screen (even when I try very carefully not to) I end up muting or putting them on speakerphone, or hanging up on them. Since this happened with the first Epic I got, it can't be just another bad phone, can it? Anyone have any tips? I've tried putting the phone into the home screen after getting on a call, but instead of hanging up on people with my face, I end up composing emails to random people. Is anyone else having this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by green87 View Post
    Is anyone else having issues with the quality of sound during incoming/outgoing calls? I just bought the epic this morning and during every call I have made the person on the other end of the phone sounds echoey and unclear. I tried turning the volume down but the problem still persisted.
    Yes I am having the exact same problem.

Junior Member Ginger_sprintdroids's Avatar

Phone automatically shuts down

My EPIC is shutting down on its own.
    Just starting doing it today, and I've had the phone since 8/31.
    It's done it about 6 times today, and when I remove & put the battery back in, it works again, but it has continued happening.
    And the phone feels very warm near the camera on the back.:confused:

voice search crippled, 4g slow, slow keyboard input & FB sync probs. please verify

Title says it all. I have tried everything in my power and knowledge to fix these issues. details below.

1) My voice search used to call people in my contacts. now it won't do ANYTHING BUT search the spoken keywords in the browser. ive read that you must have your contacts in your google group and not in your phone group for this to work. It has worked for me before. This hardreset I put all my contacts in the phone group bc when fb will actually sync, i don't want to have 4030343 contacts syncing to my gmail account since this epic does not give you an option which contact groups to sync or export to a vcard (annoying). I am about to do my 5th hard reset to attempt to cure this newly arisen problem

2) I have had full 4g bars in the Austin, TX area and the fastest LOCAL speed test results would only achieve ~900kbits. Isn't this so called 4g (or pre 4g) supposed to be roughly 3000-4000kbits/sec? 3g is typically over 1000 around here...probably calling Sprint tomorrow about it or going by the store (and wait half my day away).

3) keyboard- love it but seems like when I type too fast my screen can not input the characters fast enough. Anyone else experience this?

4) as many ppl complained - my fb contacts won't sync. It happened once but I had to do a HR and 4 HRs and one pending later, no luck. Read it was FB servers on other phone forums.

Anyone have these issues? Any solutions? Please help. I am spending way too much time troubleshooting...and here comes my 5th HR. can't wait for ROMs so I can root and rid this evil touchwiz or whatever its called crap

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links