Problems with the Epic 4G?

This is a discussion on Problems with the Epic 4G? within the Samsung Epic 4G Tech forums, part of the Samsung Epic 4G category; richabi I use speedtest.net and I get 3.5m - 4m downloads about 1 meg uploads when I first started testing. I now seem to average ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Problems with the Epic 4G?

richabi

I use speedtest.net and I get 3.5m - 4m downloads about 1 meg uploads when I first started testing. I now seem to average about 5m download. I have seen it as high as 9m. I also have clear and used speedtest to compare ATT and CLear when I was getting ready to dump ATT DSL. ATT was always around 2.5 meg. Just at the spec the guarantee for a 3 m connection. ( DSL PRO) Clear was always about 4-8 m. I have seen it as high as 12. the only real difference I see between the clear connection and the Sprint connection ( They use the same towers) is the Ping is quite high on the phone, about 300 ms. But then again it is phone. The Video problem I was having was operator error. I found everytime you view a video (even just stop and start) on You Tube you need to go back and change your setting to High quality. I think they need to find a way to set it and leave it. You may want to have sprint look at your phone since that seems quite slow. When I use 3g as you said it is about 1m (1000k)

Phone Freeze

any one having problems with phone freezing?....My Epic freezes, becoming totally unresponsive, while the home, return, menu, etc. keys on the bottom remain lit. I have to remove the battery to reset.

At first I though it was a problem with Live wallpaper downloaded from the market, but it freezes on non-live paper as well

I noticed that it freezes when the phone time-outs and is awoken again....anyone else?...does anyone know if Sprint is aware and preparing a fix?

This is a great phone...switched from the Moment...only other problem is no vaice dial with Bluetooth, but I guess this will be addressed in 2.2

Epic 4G phone has bad reception problems

My new Epic 4G phone is dropping 4 calls a day and hardly ever has strong signal bars. My old 902 Sprint phone never had this problem. I find that this fault is making this phone useless for me. It doesn't even work in my house. My friend had to get a signal booster from Sprint to get his Epic 4G to work in his house. I drive around Eastern MA all day, so that won't solve my major problem. I wish the reviewers would actually test the phone part of the device, not just the fancy features. Since this is Sprint's best phone, I think I need to return it and get a different android phone from another network. Anybody got any suggestions?

In my opinion its not Sprints best phone. You are right all phones have different signal strength's and you may have one that needs the radio's updated. I'm not sure why you would need to change carriers because of a phone when there are other choices out there. For example they have another phone out thats pretty nifty called the Htc Evo.
    Build: Fresh Evo 3.2.0.0 By Flipz
    Kernel Version: King-havs-OcUverik@Ubuntu#9
    Phone: Htc Evo 4g Proud owner 6/4/10
    Over Clocked to 1.2ghz
    ADW.Launcher
    ClockworkMod Recovery
    Unrevoked 3.2
    You i balling me or you just like my Evo

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Ginger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rriles View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginger View Post
    My EPIC is shutting down on its own.
    Just starting doing it today, and I've had the phone since 8/31.
    It's done it about 6 times today, and when I remove & put the battery back in, it works again, but it has continued happening.
    And the phone feels very warm near the camera on the back.:confused:
    Had my Epic for about 1-1/2 weeks now. Love it. But it shuts down at random times. Sometimes when I start or stop Bluetooth. Sometimes when I initiate a google search. No consistency to when this happens. I frequently get the message that the Android.com has unexpectedly shut down.
    It has locked up on me twice . . . would not do anything at all. Thought that pushing and holding the on/off button might reboot it. But it didn't. I had to remove the battery to get it to do anything.
    As much as I love the keyboard, screen, and phone features, I may take it back for the Evo today or tomorrow.
    Reply:
    I took mine back & they said it was a battery issue, but it still shut down on it's own. Went back the next day & got a NEW EPIC, and so far.....all is good!! I love the phone!!!!
    Resolution:
    After getting an over-the-air software update pushed by Sprint, the phone's problems got even worse. I finally took my Epic back and exchanged it for another. I have not had a single problem for the last 1-1/2 weeks. Have all the same apps installed. So far it's been great! So apparently I did have a phone that had something wrong with it.
    I Love it! Still learning everything it can do.

rriles, glad you got everything resolved
    Build: Fresh Evo 3.2.0.0 By Flipz
    Kernel Version: King-havs-OcUverik@Ubuntu#9
    Phone: Htc Evo 4g Proud owner 6/4/10
    Over Clocked to 1.2ghz
    ADW.Launcher
    ClockworkMod Recovery
    Unrevoked 3.2
    You i balling me or you just like my Evo

Does anyone know the expected behavior of the LED blink notification on voicemails / messages (or for anecdotal evidence, what is your behavior)?

On my Epic, the LED quickly blinks 5 times, then never again. I've heard instances of this happening for other people as well. However, some people say their LED blinks continuously. I called Samsung and their official response was that LED notification should blink for a few seconds and then turn off completely. In my opinion, that defeats the entire purpose of having LED notification to begin with.

'Settings > Sounds and Display > Pulse Notification Light' is set on the phone, I've got the latest firmware, and have tried pulling the battery. Seems the phone is programmed like this?

Thanks for any shared info.

Phone shuts off

Quote Originally Posted by jpc View Post
    So I returned my defective Epic to Best Buy without any problems,...it was taking me 30 minutes to charge 1% and it was draining super fast. But then my new phone seemed to have a defective battery as well. The first morning I took it off the charger after a full charge and two hours later (nothing running, GPS, WiFi and Bluetooth off, no calls) it was already at 30% and super hot. But then after it drained completely to the point where it shut itself down, it seemed to work normally again. It started holding the charge longer,...still not as long as my husband's EVO, but way longer than I had experienced so far on the Epic. And it wasn't super hot after being charged. I can't figure out why or how it self corrected itself like that,...
    HOWEVER, I'm now having problems with "face dialing". Like I stated in my previous post, I had issues with the phone hanging up on people constantly. I finally figured out that my screen goes in and out of the keyboard lock mode when I'm on the phone, and whenever my face hits the screen (even when I try very carefully not to) I end up muting or putting them on speakerphone, or hanging up on them. Since this happened with the first Epic I got, it can't be just another bad phone, can it? Anyone have any tips? I've tried putting the phone into the home screen after getting on a call, but instead of hanging up on people with my face, I end up composing emails to random people. Is anyone else having this problem?
    I am also having tons of problems with the phone cutting people off or muting them or turning the speaker on because my cheek touches the screen.

I hate this phone. Everytime I dial a number I get a fast busy (even with 4 bars). It takes about 3 times before it will go through. Half the time when I try to push a screen function it does not work and the other half it picks up another screen function because it worked too fast.

Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by acasalin View Post
    any one having problems with phone freezing?....My Epic freezes, becoming totally unresponsive, while the home, return, menu, etc. keys on the bottom remain lit. I have to remove the battery to reset.

At first I though it was a problem with Live wallpaper downloaded from the market, but it freezes on non-live paper as well

I noticed that it freezes when the phone time-outs and is awoken again....anyone else?...does anyone know if Sprint is aware and preparing a fix?

This is a great phone...switched from the Moment...only other problem is no vaice dial with Bluetooth, but I guess this will be addressed in 2.2
    I had similar freezing / lock up problems that were very erratic. I read about others having similar problems that took their phone back for a new one and their problems stopped. So I finally took mine back. I had a choice that day to get an EVO, and decided to take another chance with the Epic, mainly because of the keyboard. I have not had one problem for the last two weeks. Apparently some Epics have bugs while most others are great!

That's true of any phone, Epics and EVOs included. After the factory resets have eliminated the possibility of a software/configuration problem, you just gotta push the supplier for new hardware.
    I gave my iPhone to my 5 year old and got an EVO.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links