Problems with the Epic 4G?

This is a discussion on Problems with the Epic 4G? within the Samsung Epic 4G Tech forums, part of the Samsung Epic 4G category; Hey I just got the Samsung Epic last week. It's my first android phone and I'm loving it, but I was wondering why youtube videos ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Problems with the Epic 4G?

Youtube...

Hey I just got the Samsung Epic last week. It's my first android phone and I'm loving it, but I was wondering why youtube videos are shown with poor quality?

Several issues

I've had my phone for about 2 weeks. So far:

1) Can't mount to Windows 7. I downloaded recommended drivers and still can't connect. Will research other options on google and try again. UPDATE: My techie boyfriend helped me with this. There was a setting for USB debugging that he tuned off. It works now.

2) Bad reception. When 4G is inaccessible it takes 10-15 seconds to connect to 3G, or just can't connect to anything. I live in Chicago, so I would think that this shouldn't happen.

3) Haptic feedback died. Vibration still works on calls, messages, and the bottom row of touch keys, but it stopped working on the on-screen keyboard. Did the vibration test (it worked), and adjusted the appropriate settings, but still no haptic keyboard. UPDATE: I found another haptic feedback setting besides the master one in Sounds & Dispaly. Go here: Settings > Language and keyboard > Swipe settings or Android keyboard settings

4) Spotty access to the app market. Says it can't connect to network. googled this, and some say it's a server issue on google's side.

5) Can't remove stupid Nascar, etc apps. Why not? This irritates me.

6) Memory (RAM) usage much higher than it should be. I don't run lots of apps, don't use live wallpaper, etc, and I make sure nothing runs in the background. So why is at least 75% of my RAM being used at any given moment?

7) Battery life is so-so. If I barely use the phone, it lasts about 12 hours. I implemented every battery-saving tip I could find online.

I'm going to take it back to the store and see about getting a new phone. From what I've read on this thread, that seems to fix a lot of people's problems.

Quote Originally Posted by danDroid View Post
    If your having problems with the Epic 4G, let us know.
    I got this phone about a month ago, I really wish I could switch it out with the EVO. The front buttons on the Epic 4G keep pressing randomly. I try to send a message and the buttons start pressing, bringing me out of the screen. I can't do ANYTHING on this phone without it doing that after 20 minutes or so. I try to play any game on this phone and it does it again, the home button and back button just keep randomly pressing. And why does this phone only have 4 hours of battery life?? NEVER had a problem with my iPhone...

I wondered about all the complaints about GPS problems, as my Epic pinpointed the room in the house I was in from day one. Now, after the DI18 baseband update of the past week, my GPS is broken. Unless I am at a high elevation >1800' I get GPS errors of 1 to five miles at times. Is there any way to roll back to DI107? Did DI18 correct a common Epic production flaw that mine lacked? Help!

Samsung and Sprint made a design decision to limit the internal user RAM on Epic anticipating Android 2.2's "Install to SD Card" functionality. It is very simple to root the Epic and apply any number of stock and custom versions of froyo. It is even possible to kill the Samsung user interface and leave just the Android interface, with the vertically rolling app list, reduced "Home" pages, etc. Many or all of these will break future OTA updates. If you read my issue above you will see that I had a near perfect Epic that has now been "damaged" by an OTA update meant to correct issues experienced by other Epic users...

I would really like to let all of those who are new to Sprint/Nextel know that you ARE with the best cellular service provider in the USA. I have been with Sprint since the first days of Handspring and Treos and I have never had any problem getting someone in customer service or tech support to resolve whatever problem I had. My communications capabilities are the bedrock of my business, I have two nearly new Treo 755P's on charging cradles in the event my new Epic is lost, stolen or disabled, one at home and one at the office. I have four Epic batteries, two stand alone chargers (also useable in my vehicle at home and office,) I have two USB/wall chargers at home, two USB with 12 volt auto chargers and at least three more at the office. I have a cellular plan that I pay the SAME amount for month in and month out. Verizon and AT&T promised fixed rate, all-inclusive service for more than Sprint and still found a way to increase my bill (tenfold at one point with Verizon adding a dollar a minute surcharge during a two week job in New Orleans, a $1200 SURCHARGE!) Thus far my data usage is unlimited (although I understand that the pressure on 4G networks may cause Sprint to join all other carriers by charging for excess 4G usage, WHILE LEAVING 3G COVERAGE UNLIMITED, unlike other carriers.) When I have failed to have insurance coverage in place and my handset malfunctioned, I have always found a replacement for less money on eBay and did NOT expect to have Sprint replace my handset gratis as one noted data pundit whined over several published articles. When some Sprint functionary decided to cancel services to military personnel whose temporary training assignments caused them to be roaming 100% of the time (oh, I wish we could get a do-over on that one) I blanketed Sprint's movers and shakers with emails until that horrible act was undone. I sold the members of my investment club on the Treo 700P and they all loved the service and support so much we are now stockholders because we believe in our company. I tell people about Sprint every day because I am THRILLED to be a Sprint/Nextel subscriber! The next wave of Android phones should take advantage of the new transceiver chipsets that have all of the advanced cellular and wireless protocols onboard. With one of those new handsets and Sprint/Nextel's "Simply Everything" plan, it won't be long before I rule the WORLD. LOL

Messed up messaging...

Its been 3 weeks with the Epic and thus far i love it. Had to get my first one replaced because the camera button didnt have that second click. My only issue is that when Im in the messaging window and check a missed call, the contacts seem to take over my messaging button so when i press it all i see are contacts and the only way to restore it back is either turning it off or creating a new message. Does anyone else get this problem?

Can't you just go home and reenter the messaging app?
    I gave my iPhone to my 5 year old and got an EVO.

Quote Originally Posted by rich_c View Post
    Can't you just go home and reenter the messaging app?
    That is the problem Im having...when I try to reenter it, it keeps going back to contacts, it does it with other apps too but contacts is the only one I cant back out of

Issues with Epic

:sprint:I see alot of people seem to have issues with the epic. I have an epic since day 1 and have no issues so far. I will say that i do keep my phone in check when it comes to apps and what is running in the background. I use Advanced Task Killer by ReChild along with the built in task manager to make sure my Epic is running its optimal best each time i use it. I make sure anytime i use anything on the phone, whether its using an app, making a call, or sending a text, i have advanced task killer running and cand swipe down and shut down all apps running in the background. I get grat battery life unless i'm under heavy usage of the web.

as for issue with the the phone not getting data, make sure under call settings that you have the phone set to home only. unless you're in an area that needs to be in roaming coverage, because you will get better reception and better data service. Make sure you update the profile and then update the PRL after the change. You will also notice better battery life when on home only. I also suggest that maybe at night you power down the phone and let all of the cache on thew phone clear out. It keeps the performance of the phone to its peak.:sprint::4g:

Having a problem with widgets on home screen, specifically messaging. when i get a text and try to reply, it kicks me back to the messaging screen with the list of all my recent received texts. I'll click on the thread with the message I just received so I can text, and it still kicks me back to the list of recently received texts. Also, if i hit the calendar widget, it will sometimes kick me back to home screen. it also rarely will totally freeze up. I've only had the phone a couple of weeks. I've removed several apps thinking that maybe they have malware or a virus. (Is that even possible?). I'm concerned because so many people have had problems with phone and I'm worried that the samsung is a piece of junk!

as471,

Download the free "Lookout" app from Android Market and run a full scan of your Epic, then keep it running when you download from the web or Android Market. As noted by midnitenyc, the free Advanced Task Killer can keep a handle on your running tasks and has settings to auto-kill tasks at user defined intervals. Keeping wifi and GPS on at all times can cause "freezing" if they are searching for a signal.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links