Problems with the Epic 4G?

This is a discussion on Problems with the Epic 4G? within the Samsung Epic 4G Tech forums, part of the Samsung Epic 4G category; Thx, I'll try that...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Problems with the Epic 4G?

Thx, I'll try that

I see some posts lately that advocate the use of task killers. A few weeks ago my wife's Epic started having issues with battery drain. After 2 days of this I told her to stop by the Sprint store where she bought the phone and them take a look at it in case they were having know hardware issues.

He told her the battery drain was because of all the widgets she had. He the then proceeded to install a task killer on her phone!! He didn't ask her if she added any apps or widgets recently. The fact is I helped her configure her Epic a couple of months ago when she got it. Except for changing the wallpaper to a picture of our dog she hasn't doesn't make changes phone.

The Sprint rep could of use some troubleshooting techniques and asked a few questions before slapping on a task killer and sending her on her way. She called me and I told her to bring it home I would find out if its was a hardware or software issue for her myself.

I did a factory reset and installed all her apps and widgets less one she never used (Samsung Buddy widget which I think is kind of cool) and no task killer. The next day her battery life was better than before.

I was really pissed that the Sprint rep's answer to a batter drain problem was a task killer. The android OS was built from the ground up for mobile devices with memory management designed for battery life.

If anyone is interested in more information about task killers and the android OS here is some good reading on the subject.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by pryorsp View Post
    I'm having a software glitch I'm wondering if anyone else is having, my apps on my home page disappear all the time, especially after I power off and back on. I've been troubleshooting by resetting the phone back to factory settings. The problem goes away until I register on the marketplace (with only factory apps installed). Once I register, every power on/off resets my home page, leaving only widgets remaining. To be more specific, the problem occurs once I enter my google information into the marketplace. Is anyone else experiencing this?
    it's seems as if you and I are the only ones in America that are having this problem. I took my FIRST epic in because of this and the tech told me he had never heard of it happening. Now that I have my second epic, low and behold, it's doing the same thing. But now it's taken a turn for the worse. I can't receive or make calls like a normal phone. I've got to use speaker phone just to be able to call someone. It kinda just freezes when I try to answer the phone. so basically right now it's just an expensive instant messenger. Since I can't turn it off without losing the apps on the home screens and can't answer the effin phone!

epic problems!

Quote Originally Posted by danDroid View Post
    If your having problems with the Epic 4G, let us know.
    I have an epic and just paid 100 thru my insurance ontop of th 500 for the phone because randomly when I'm sending a text or an e mail or anything productive for that matter it backs me out of what I'm doing and back to the home screen. It doesn't always back me to the home screen but most the time..... I battled with sprint about this and they said nope nothings wrong with your phone. So I have this new epic and not even 4 hours in it starts doing the same thing! Is anyone else having this issue? I'm so done with this phone and need help!

App Shortcuts Disappearing on Power Off

Quote Originally Posted by pryorsp View Post
    I'm having a software glitch I'm wondering if anyone else is having, my apps on my home page disappear all the time, especially after I power off and back on. I've been troubleshooting by resetting the phone back to factory settings. The problem goes away until I register on the marketplace (with only factory apps installed). Once I register, every power on/off resets my home page, leaving only widgets remaining. To be more specific, the problem occurs once I enter my google information into the marketplace. Is anyone else experiencing this?
    I, too, am having exactly the same problem - has anybody else had this problem and is there a solution?

That's funny if I'm having problems let you know...... I battled and fought with sprint and they told me there was nothing wrong with my phone! I paid another 100 ontop of the 500 for a new phone and 15 minutes into having it activated it started doing the same crap my other brand new epic did! So I'm done with this phone its not all its cracked up to be!

Angry disappearing apps with power off

ok, I'm on my 4th phone. had a bunch of random things happen. The only consistent one being apps disappearing when i turned the phone off for some reason. After finally realizing it happened when I was logged into gmail. I made another account and was able to turn the phone off and on with no problems.... until today... where it started to do it with the new account. I found this on another forum and have yet to try to but it's supposed to be a "solution" to the problem.

"This is because your gmail app is using too much memory. Try to free its cache from Settings > Aplications > Manage Applications > All ...
    Reboot and expect it to work better.

If it is still causing the blank out, see if you have at least 32MB of internal memory free in Settings > SD Card and Phone storage > internal memory

Otherwise considering clearing cache of browser and few other apps. Some apps might allow you to move themselves to SD card from the 'Manage Applications' section. Try to find those. Also consider uninstalling a few unused apps you installed form the market.

Internal memory apart, check running services. Hope some rogue app you installed for fun isn't showing up often+unnecessarily under
    Settings > Applications > Running Services
    Some apps do need to run services to fetch content behind you but some ill coded apps can hog the processor and RAM through such background services. See if you can uninstall the respective app if such a rogue service is identified."

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by rebecca View Post
    I have an epic and just paid 100 thru my insurance ontop of th 500 for the phone because randomly when I'm sending a text or an e mail or anything productive for that matter it backs me out of what I'm doing and back to the home screen. It doesn't always back me to the home screen but most the time..... I battled with sprint about this and they said nope nothings wrong with your phone. So I have this new epic and not even 4 hours in it starts doing the same thing! Is anyone else having this issue? I'm so done with this phone and need help!
    I have the same problem, and have had it with three epics so far. I can pinpoint it to when the slide is open and when I have low or no signal. It can't be duplicated in the sprint store because they always have great signals there! Needless to say I have zero faith in sprint or samsung that they will fix this with a fourth phone so I am considering begging them for an evo four momths into this contract. Here is another discussion about this issue and a youtube video I posted of mine.

Samsung Epic 4G - Back Button "pressing" on its own.

Exclamation Help

I do have a ? my epic 4g wont download my apps i was just in the sprint store and get a new phone because of this probelm the service rep at sprint told me to take the phone in to the nearest store and have them exchange it and i did but now the same thing is happening with the new phone my download apps wont download

Music, music, music...

My semi-stock Epic is so smokin' hot, I haven't even been tempted to root (except those adds...) The Eclair DI18 update did mess up my GPS accuracy, but it seemed to fix everyone else's...just biding my time to see what Froyo does there...

My big problem involves using the Samsung/Sprint Music app with external stereo devices, specifically my Sony in-dash auto unit. The Sony car stereo has both a usb port and a stereo mini-jack female socket. When using the stereo headphone out on the Epic to the stereo mimi-jack input on the Sony unit there is an annoying amount of hiss and hum between the tracks, almost as though the Epic is searching for the microphone between discrete tracks. The tracks seem fine when played and even silence, when Music is showing the play counter incrementing during the silence, sounds clean. I always Advanced Task Kill virtually all background tasks thinking something like Voice Dialer may try to gain control of the missing microphone input between tracks...

I do have to say that the Music app is much more than I expected. Searching the forums all I discovered about lossless file playback was that there were two very quirky open source stabs at competent FLAC playback. I was surprised to find the Music app playing all of my FLAC files, all the way up to 24 bit/96 Khz! I haven't tried any of the other lossless formats as most of my files are FLAC or full WAVE encoding...

I have used the Epic with the Sony car receiver plugged into the Sony's USB with the Epic data cable, but the Sony seems to just mount the Epic as a mass storage device. The Sony docs make it sound as though iPods can link over USB with the iPod becoming a de-facto controller for the Sony receiver. Can this be possible with the Epic? Will the Sony play the Apple-lossless files sent as a digital stream over the USB cable?

Any help is gratefully appreciated!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links