"Messaging" Question

This is a discussion on "Messaging" Question within the Samsung Epic 4G forums, part of the Samsung Android Phones category; Been a Blackberry user for so many years I can't remember, reserved an Epic and switching over to a Droid. Maybe. I just read on ...

Thread: "Messaging" Question

EpicForums.net Member Epic Forums User's Avatar

"Messaging" Question

Been a Blackberry user for so many years I can't remember, reserved an Epic and switching over to a Droid. Maybe. I just read on Gizmodo that the bottom App Launcher Bar has 4 tabs: Phone, Contacts, Messaging, Applications. They also indicated that the 4 can't be swapped out. So it's a locked Launcher Bar.

When they refer to Messaging for a Droid, is it text messaging or email? And if it is email, is it all email accounts or just a certain account?

I ask because this is a deal breaker to me. If it is text messaging and/or all email accounts I will return the phone the first day I have it. For security purposes I don't want certain email account or texts appearing on the open page. With BB it is easy to bury them in folders. It blows my mind that the app launcher bar isn't editable.

I was so much looking forward to this phone but I have a sinking suspicion it will be immediately returned. Thanks for the feedback.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

well to try to answer your question(s)..... messaging on android os tends to deal with email and sms. now if you have a file explorer you can then bury such things. but it is more than a couple apps out there that specifially protect sms and email with a different password. so say you wanted sms blocked, you will have an app that blocks it and restricts access until the password is entered.

as for email specifically i say DO NOT ADD THAT EMAIL ACCOUNT to your email set up. that will save you all the headache. i have a gmail account but its not my main account. just for the use of android os. i have a seperate account i dont even link to the phone. that way i keep everything when and where i want it.

as for the app launcher being non-editable, just give the phone a week or so someone will have a root for it. best thing about smart phones since windows mobile, someone is out there just thinking **** up =).

hope i helped is some little way.

Thank you very much. I appreciate the info! I'm a complete Droid newbie and I don't even have the phone in front of me so I'm completely talking nonsense at the moment. I'll definitely have to play around with it when I get the device and see what I can do.

Unfortunately, I have to have that email account on the phone. I know with the iPhone or the BB you can password the whole phone which is a complete pain in the ass to have to enter a code every time you pick it up. It's interesting that you can password protect certain folders, that may do the trick.

Not sure what 'root' is but I'm guessing it's privately written edit that can be downloaded somewhere.

Here's how I have my BB configured: I have a Mail folder on the launch page which only holds mail from one account, say my main mail account. All of my other mail accounts (private & work-related for my eyes only) and my SMS are buried in other folders. If I get mail or texts in those accounts the main screen shows that I have messages, but you'd have to know where to look to see them. That's what I need with this phone.

I appreciate the help. I really hope I can replicate my BB settings with this phone because everything else on the phone seems fantastic. Thanks again.

you can do that with "smartphone" just have to know how. not being an ass but people you are hiding stuff from can find what it is they seek. if you have to have your main email on the upcoming epic, i say you search the android market now for apps that can protect the things you want to protect i.e. email & sms. or you can keep your blackberry for that and have the epic for non important use.

I appreciate the info, definitely not being an ass. I know what you're saying about being able to find it. I'll add a little more color - if I'm in a trial I will get texts that nobody else should be reading but me. My phone is never away from me for more than 30 seconds. If someone picks up my phone, "hey is that the new Epic?" and hits messaging, all my messages are there. They won't have time to go through my folders looking for it. Of course if I leave my phone and someone has it they'll be able to find it. That's not what I'm worried about which was why I was so bummed to read the messaging couldn't be moved.

Thanks again. Once I get it and start playing around with it I'll either figure it out or send the phone back.

oh, ok now that helps, my buddy is a lawyer. tell you what i told her... DO NOT USE MOBILE DEVICES FOR YOUR TRIALS AND SO FORTH!" 30secs is way to much time for someone to have by the way. phones are gone in under 6secs, 2 seconds to pick it up and pocket it and 4 to exit the room.

now the good thing about having the epic there is an app called 'wheres my droid'. you have the gps/location always on and you can send a text to your "lost/stolen" device and the phone will then shoot you back a location, same as for email. if you have to have a text sent to you during these times by a motorola 2way pager.yea thats so old i know but i have seen companies still using them for specific reasons unknown to me =).

the epic (in my opinion) is a quite good looking phone like its soon to be owner... ME! so people are going to want to pick it up, feel it, caress it and ask "hows the keyboard?". instantly putting them in whatever sms program you are using.

so yea, time to chum up with 2 devices bro. keep that blackberry for work related communication only. you are used to it and it works for you. you can still hide all that good work stuff buried so far in the bb you will need mining tools to retrieve it. now you get your epic to come in the forums with the rest of of fanatics and talk epic talk. also walk around and pick up chicks by flashing your beautiful black epic screen at them LMAO!!!

Just to follow up on this discussion, I found an app called Shady SMS. Not sure if it will work with the Epic but we'll find out. It's clearly designed for something more sinful than my intentions, but it will certainly get the job done.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links