Battery Life _ Info Re: Desktop Dock

This is a discussion on Battery Life _ Info Re: Desktop Dock within the Samsung Epic 4G forums, part of the Samsung Android Phones category; What sort of Battery Life are you getting on your Samsung Epic 4G? I ordered my Epic on Tuesday morning. I received it on Wednesday ...

Thread: Battery Life _ Info Re: Desktop Dock

Junior Member AnnihilationPrinciple's Avatar

Battery Life _ Info Re: Desktop Dock

What sort of Battery Life are you getting on your Samsung Epic 4G?

I ordered my Epic on Tuesday morning. I received it on Wednesday midday. I charged it to full immediately before I used it or activated it.

The first full day of use (Thursday) I didn't pay much attention to battery life, but it seemed very fast to drain, but of course, I was doing a lot of messing around and such.

Friday I barely used it at all and it died on me (to shutdown) after about ten hours.

Saturday I monitored the phone and used it barely (not at all)- these are my battery use statistics from "battery monitor":
    - Uplugged 12H 16M 58S
    - Cell Standby- 42% Time without Signal 64%
    - Phone Idle- 24%
    - Display-13%
    - Voice Calls- 11% (about 2m 30s)
    - Android OS 4%
    - Dialer 3%

I took one call, and did not use any functions or features of the phone. Additionally, the screen brightness is turned all the way down, and I have turned off WiFi, 4G, GPS, etc.. No apps were running in the background. It was in "standby" mode the majority of the time. I do live in an area that has interesting sprint cell phone coverage/service.

ALSO- Take Note. If you are thinking of buying the Desktop Dock, it IS NOT usable with a cover (such as the red/black cover) sold by Sprint.

I am interested if everyone's battery life is as bad as mine, or I am having an annomoly or problem.

Thank you very much-
    COOP

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Time without signal 64%
    If you're in an area with bad coverage where the phone has to constantly be searching for a cell tower, that battery is going to drain REAL fast. One thing I recommend is to download JuiceDefender from the market. It shuts off your 3G whenever you're not using the phone and really does wonders for battery life. I think it might help out a lot in your case.

Junior Member AnnihilationPrinciple's Avatar
    Juice Defender seems to have worked out for me. I got 24 hours out of my Epic before I had to put it on charge. Having the 3G turned off except when I was actually using it saved a lot of juice.

Can you use JuiceDefender and Advance Task Killer together?

Quote Originally Posted by sirbrains View Post
    Can you use JuiceDefender and Advance Task Killer together?
    Although its a highly debated subject you really dont need a task killer. Here is a link to a great right up about the subject. If you still have questions after please ask and we'll try and help.

FAQ: Why You Shouldn’t Be Using a Task Killer with Android

Second day with the phone today... I picked it up yesterday and had half a battery which lasted me until I got home and got to play with it. Let it shut off and charged it completely before turning it back on, played with it for a while and then went to bed, woke up and the battery was barely drained anymore, I charged it for about 20 minutes while I got ready and headed to class, around 11, I've been texting and playing with the phone most of the day and it finally died around 8ish, so not bad considering it had only been completely charged one time and then a quick charge just in case.

I killed it again tonite and am doing another full charge, I've used the kill, complete charge, kill, complete charge on most of my phones and I've always gotten great battery life, even when I had a G1 it worked.

The battery life doesn't seem to be as bad as everyone was making it out to be and I text a lot, I don't run a lot of background apps though... I do use the internet mostly on 3G but sometimes WiFi where I can find it.

The first few days, the battery didn't even last 4 or 5 hours (new phone obsession). I let it drain completely from full charge and charged again. I goggled the issue and found this site Tip Of The Week # 63 Improving Sprint Epic 4G Battery Life : EVDOinfo.com Follow the tips and you should see a marked increase in battery "stamina". If you are mindful, and turn on wi-fi when your home (if it's available) the phone will default to it, and only use the 3g radio for phone calls and text. Just remember to turn it back off when you go out (again, to eliminate more than one radio running). I've been running this way for most of the day(since 7am est) with HEAVY usage and I'm still at 85%.

I am very unimpressed with the battery life on this phone. I have installed advanced task killer and Juice defender to very little avail.

You don't need advanced task killer. It doesn't help the battery life, it actually can make it worse. JD should help as it will shut off 3G until you really need it.

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil624 View Post
    I am very unimpressed with the battery life on this phone. I have installed advanced task killer and Juice defender to very little avail.

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    You don't need advanced task killer. It doesn't help the battery life, it actually can make it worse. JD should help as it will shut off 3G until you really need it.

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil624 View Post
    I will unistall the Task killer as I can kill apps via tsk manager if really feel the need. I have heard others speak about the 2G / 3G killing the battery as well. That must be in the RF system settings for all the Sprint Markets or thier affiliates as the Phone is told when to wake up and let the network know where they are and search for any Pages from the network. I do not even live in a 3g (EVDO) area. I'll set JD to only use 1XRTT unless otherwise requested. THank you

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links