texting error

This is a discussion on texting error within the Samsung Epic 4G forums, part of the Samsung Android Phones category; Ok so I have a contact that is correctly listed with a 10 digit phone number. When we text it converts it to a 7 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: texting error

texting error

Ok so I have a contact that is correctly listed with a 10 digit phone number. When we text it converts it to a 7 digit number. Help what do I need to do.

I've tried to delete the contact and re-enter it and that didn't help.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Please someone has got to know how to solve this problem. I mean I can do a conversation for a while then it switched the contact back from a 10 digit number to a 7 digit number and the texts won't go through.

Just a thought, do you have them as a Facebook friend? Do you have two two entries linked (contacts entry and the Facebook entry)? Does your friend have their mobile number entered on Facebook as a seven digit number?

Just curious, I have seen a linked Facebook contact override my 10 digit entry to a 1-xxx-xxx-xxxx.

sent from EVO using Taptalk Pro

I even deleted the facebook sync and contacts and it did it. I'm at a loss.

I want my Pre back it was so simple

I have more information.

This only happens with my husband texting me.

It's his incoming text. He has a Verizon Palm Pre+ running stock. I am running stock SMS program.

I do not have any contacts linked except from gmail (facebook turned off).

Can anyone help me please

Does anyone use these forums?

Only way to fix!

I know this thread is old, but since someone recently posted, I thought I would answer.

My girlfriend experienced the same thing using a Samsung Galaxy 5. After extensive research, trial and error, etc., etc. I have determined that there is only 1 way to fix this problem without resetting your phone to factory defaults. It is a bug in the Samsung SMS application, and even if you reset it to fix it, you will inevitably have the same problem in the future.

The bug works like this. If you accidentally type a 7-digit phone number (only the very first time for that number), that number will be permanently locked-out of being able to be fixed. You can try deleting contacts, etc., etc., but it will not fix it. That number (and only that number) will forever have the problems described above.

The only permanent solution that works is to use a 3rd-party SMS application like HandCent. I have switched to HandCent and now everything works fine, even the locked-out number.

The only feature of HandCent that I do not like is the "Pop-Up on Receipt of Message" feature. I would recommend turning this off, as it can be a pain if your phone is in your pocket when it pops up. You can accidentally reply to texts with random jibberish like "asdfha;lwae9rphasdfbk".

Also, you should shutdown the built-in SMS application so you don't get dual notifications of incoming text messages.

Hope this helps solve your problems - It was a real pain for my girlfriend!

Cheers,
    Tom

Mine started doing this same thing about a month ago. Sprint nor Samsung were any help. I tried the prepair center they couldnt help. The only resolve i found was doing a total reset which i hated to do but it worked

It will work, for now. However, if you accidentally try to text to a 7-digit number, that number will be locked out even if you add their number to your contacts with all 10 digits. Then you will have to factory reset again - very much a pain.

Still recommend using a 3rd party texting application - most of them are free.

ETA: DISREGARD. It's in the cache for the character by character search and it doesn't go away...I'm just going to save my contacts and do a hard reset... gets my vote for stupidest bug....ever.

I think I've fixed this without doing a factory reset, and without any third party apps. Well, maybe not fixed, but it's working now.

I accidentially entered a contact as 7 digits. Got the error when attempting to sms. Edited contact - was able to send as 10 digits until I got a text back from that contact whereupon it changed to 7 digits when I attempted to reply. This happened pretty much every time and it didn't matter if I deleted the thread and re-entered the contact.

So I edited the original contact and changed the phone number, then deleted all logs and sms threads relating to that contact. I then put in a NEW contact with the full correct 10 digit number (without deleting the other) and lo and behold, it is working like normal now and sending to the 10 digit number every time. They really need to fix that though - that is EXTREMELY ANNOYING.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links