No Sound for Text Messages

This is a discussion on No Sound for Text Messages within the Samsung Galaxy Note forums, part of the Samsung Android Phones category; I have the same problem as some of you. Sometimes it plays the whole ringtone, sometimes it just vibrates, and sometimes it only plays half ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: No Sound for Text Messages

I have the same problem as some of you. Sometimes it plays the whole ringtone, sometimes it just vibrates, and sometimes it only plays half a second of it. My notifications toggle is already on from the drop-down menu and have always been on. The text message settings are all set, with the notifications box checked, as well as a set ringtone notification. Even with all of this, it will hardly complete the text notification or play it at all. Has anyone figure this out yet, other than the solutions already offered above?

I too am having the exact same problem. Everything is set as it should be for me to be notified of any SMS that I may receive. Never had a problem til about a week or so ago.
    If I'm lucky, once in a while I may get a full ringtone alert but to the most part I get barely a sound if anything at all.
    This is in my opinion a software related fault and is reproduced only under certain conditions. Although these conditions themselves I am unsure about I can only hope that more users report this issue as time goes by, that way Samsung may actually acknowledge and provide us with a fix.

Exact same problem here.
    Happened with my 1st Galaxy S3, took it back for replacement and new one doing exactly the same.
    May mates just received his blue one and has the same problem.

My notification alert is active and all settings are as they should be :-/
    Works sometime, not others, sometime half the ring tone. (Im usung the default whistle) no 3rd party sms apps etc.

Very annoying glitch for a new flagship phone.
    Appletarts are wetting themselves at this one!

simply make sure your notification button is on!!! its located by the wifi, gps, on so on!! then it should work fine.
    edroldan and NBAmasters like this.

no txt sound

why does everyone assume we are idiots? of course we have checked all the settings...we dont keep whining for the sake of it. all my settings are correct!! even from the drop down thing...STILL GETTING THE PROBLEM!!!

and this is my second phone too... not happy about this samsung!!

Possible solution

Hi guys.

I tried an experiment last week, and everything seems to be working well on my phone so far regarding this problem. I don't know if you guys have tried this already, but this is what I did. Also, if you don't feel comfortable doing any of this, then please don't.

I was going to do a Factory Reset, but before that, I went to Settings > Back up and reset, and then I unchecked the boxes for Back up my data and Automatic restore. If you are also signed up/logged in to the Samsung account, I turned off the back up and restore on that, too, in the settings for the Samsung account. The main thing I wanted to accomplish was for it NOT to restore the System Settings, which I'm pretty sure I set it to do somewhere when I first got the phone. I think in the Samsung account, you have options of what to back up (data, apps, system settings, etc.), and I just unchecked System Settings. I also backed up my data (SMS, MMS, phone logs, etc.) beforehand using the MyBackup Pro app, which works really well. Then I went into Settings > Back up and reset > Factory data reset.

After it finished loading up, I re-downloaded all my apps from the Play store through a browser, and set up all my ringtones, which were on an external microSD card, and made sure the Notification toggle was on and all of that good stuff that everyone had posted earlier on this thread. After this reset, it played the SMS notification all the way through every time. I also went back into Settings and checked the "Backup my data" and "Automatic restore" options now that it was working well. After a few days though, the phone restarted one or two times, and then all my ringtones would reset b/c it was stored on the microSD so I would have to set it again. (After those restart incidents, I copied over the ringtones to the actual phone memory.) After it restarted the second time, the SMS notification wouldn't play at all. I checked the Sound settings and it was in fact set to the ringtone I chose, but it just wasn't making a sound, not even half the ringtone like it was doing before the reset. After that, I decided to check the Messaging settings, so I opened up Messaging where it showed a list of the people I've texted (and not open to a specific conversation), and then I went into the settings from there (the menu button to the left of the home button). When I scrolled all the way down to the bottom where it says "Select ringtone", it was blank, so that was probably the problem. I selected the ringtone again. After that, it was working fine and dandy again. So far, everything is still working good. If you're not going to do a factory reset [yet], you should probably check the Messaging settings first if it's not making a sound because it might be blank.

Anyway, I hope this helps someone. This is just what I tried and it seems to be working so far. Let us know if it works for anyone else.
    Last edited by iheartyomama; 07-05-2012 at 08:19 PM.

Right!

Quote Originally Posted by timecrisis2010 View Post
    simply make sure your notification button is on!!! its located by the wifi, gps, on so on!! then it should work fine.
    Gosh o Gosh you are right now is working perfectly!!!!!

Wink Solution

This solution worked for me.... (SGS3)

In the message setting, there is an option to automatically delete messages after a set number. If the conversation is at its limit, when you receive a message, the phone tries to delete the oldest message in the conversation, cancelling the notification. Deselect the check box, and your notifications should play properly again.
    Last edited by jimmyj; 07-09-2012 at 09:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyj View Post
    Now that sounds like a cause and effect! Makes perfect sense, here's to hoping!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

the fix

go to setting application manager, all, at&t messages. uninstall updates clear cash, and disable. text notifcations and sounds will work again.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Ads