No Sound for Text Messages

This is a discussion on No Sound for Text Messages within the Samsung Galaxy Note forums, part of the Samsung Android Phones category; Originally Posted by cwchawt2000 My wife's Samsung s3has the same issue ie no notification sound when receiving SMS. To fix this problem, drag your finger ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: No Sound for Text Messages

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by cwchawt2000 View Post
    My wife's Samsung s3has the same issue ie no notification sound when receiving SMS. To fix this problem, drag your finger from top to bottom on the screen to reveal toggling option for features like drive mode,wifi,notification ,etc..toggle notification on by touching the icon making sure it is lit green.enjoy the SMS sound again !!!
    Good luck

Worked Well,
    Thanks

This works!

Hi,

There is obviously a bug in the Messagenger application.

1. Start messager, open menu (Left of "startbutton"), select "settings", uncheck "Delete old messages".
    After this it should work. (I don't have an english GUI, so the names could be a bit diffrent!)

Also observe:
    The "shortcut" settings found when you drag finger from top to bottom.
    The "sound icon" should NOT be green. The GUI is a bit akward, since ENABLED=GREEN means sound is OFF!
    Some cleaver guy came up with this reverse logic (enable to disable!). You can easily go wrong here!

Good luck!

No sound on text message

Quote Originally Posted by cwchawt2000 View Post
    My wife's Samsung s3has the same issue ie no notification sound when receiving SMS. To fix this problem, drag your finger from top to bottom on the screen to reveal toggling option for features like drive mode,wifi,notification ,etc..toggle notification on by touching the icon making sure it is lit green.enjoy the SMS sound again !!!
    Good luck
    Thanks , this worked a treat!

I think I have worked out what the issue is as I had the same issue on my Samsung Galaxy S3. If all your sounds and notifications are on and its still occurring:

Go to Messaging, click the bottom left hand corner to get the settings for your messages. Click settings and then go to Storage settings and uncheck 'Delete old messages'. Basically the phone is deleting the old message to receive a new one and hence disrupting the notification tone. Good Luck!

Mine Text Messaging Sound was being held hostage by an Application

Quote Originally Posted by iheartyomama View Post
    I have the same problem as some of you. Sometimes it plays the whole ringtone, sometimes it just vibrates, and sometimes it only plays half a second of it. My notifications toggle is already on from the drop-down menu and have always been on. The text message settings are all set, with the notifications box checked, as well as a set ringtone notification. Even with all of this, it will hardly complete the text notification or play it at all. Has anyone figure this out yet, other than the solutions already offered above?
    I found that "MR. Number", an app that allows one to block select incoming phone number, had taken over the text sound. My phone was only vibrating on receiving texts - exactly as Mr. Number had it set to. The setting in Mr. Number evidently overrides all the other controls on the phone because I had set the sounds several times over with different ringtones and sound volumes using other apps and the system control settings. None of them could override Mr. Number. Imagine that....

Anyways, I re-set the text notification to the sound I wanted using the Mr. Number app and now I get the text message sound I want - problem seems to be fixed.

If you have a problem with text sound to help you debug you can text to yourself until you figure it out. I texted myself several times until I was finally able to fix the issue. Hope this also helps someone. :-)

Thanks!!! I've been trying to resolve the problem for months!!! Now the S Planner alarm works too!!!

Quote Originally Posted by timecrisis2010 View Post
    simply make sure your notification button is on!!! its located by the wifi, gps, on so on!! then it should work fine.
    Thanks!!! I've been trying to resolve the problem for months!!! Now the S Planner alarm works too!!!

Twitter
    @creepyguy

If you are still not getting notifications...

I had the same problem and checking the notification settings and such didn't change anything. In my case, I was unaware that the S3 had a second level of volume control settings. When you press the volume control rocker you will see the volume indicator on the screen. To the right of this you will see a settings "gear" button that will open to a a new menu with three separate volume controls for speaker, ringtone and message notifications. My message notifications were set to mute.

I've wrote an article about it with pictures of the volume menus and such at my website here. Hope it helps someone.

same problems

I have exactly the same issue. I got my new phone 3 weeks ago. Put into notification sounds folder my own ringtones and they either play half, just vibrate briefly, continuous vibrate for ages, or nothing at all and some times freeze my phone. So i got a replacement, Now all i did was that one thing when i got it so didnt mess with any setting.
    New phone same issue, i even went to the samsung store and download free ringtones from their website and that puts it into the same folder but same issue again even with theirs.
    Now it doesnt do it if i set it as a facebook notification or email its only on text messages. My g/f has just got the same phone and the same with hers. So definitely an issues needs to be sorted out there.
    It did it on an old nokia of mine a few years ago. i was told that it was because it has to find the folder that it is in first. surely that cant be the issue here with it being a quad core etc...

Thanks that worked!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Ads