Smartphone Newbie Questions......

This is a discussion on Smartphone Newbie Questions...... within the Samsung Galaxy Note forums, part of the Samsung Android Phones category; Hi everybody I am new to this forum and new to smartphone I am currently using 2G mobile network and using an old cheap mobile ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Astrix

Thread: Smartphone Newbie Questions......

Smartphone Newbie Questions......

Hi everybody I am new to this forum and new to smartphone

I am currently using 2G mobile network and using an old cheap mobile phone.

I think it's high time for me to use something new and different.

I've been doing research on lots of webpages and local forums but I don't think I've got an objective comment.

I am looking for a Samsung phone with (very) big screen so I think I am only thinking about Galaxy Note 1 / 2 / LTE

I still can't decide which one to go.

Galaxy Note 2 is very new. I don't know if its price would drop drastically within the next few months after the launch of other new 4G mobile phones.

Galaxy Note 1 should be a good choice and cheaper, but the problem is - it is running on Android 2.3 and has 1 GB RAM
    only.

How about Galaxy Note 1 LTE? I like its design without a physical button. However, I don't know anything else about this.

Can anyone give me some advice on that? I am new to all these things.

By the way, in addition to IMEI, what do I have to check about the phone before I pay? How to ensure that the phone is a brand-new product never touched or used by previous customers?

Thank you

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Twitter
    It's a bird
    Quote Originally Posted by kenny1999 View Post
    Galaxy Note 1 should be a good choice and cheaper, but the problem is - it is running on Android 2.3 and has 1 GB RAM only.
    - Its upgrade to 4.x.x ICS and 4.1.x JB soon.
    - 1Gb ram more than enough

By the way, in addition to IMEI, what do I have to check about the phone before I pay? How to ensure that the phone is a brand-new product never touched or used by previous customers?
    Ensure when you purchase. The wrapping plastic is open infront of you.
    Self test after open:
    - Sound
    - Camera front and back. Take a few shots.
    - Physical condition
    - Accessories.

Quote Originally Posted by Astrix View Post
    - Its upgrade to 4.x.x ICS and 4.1.x JB soon.
    - 1Gb ram more than enough

Ensure when you purchase. The wrapping plastic is open infront of you.
    Self test after open:
    - Sound
    - Camera front and back. Take a few shots.
    - Physical condition
    - Accessories.

Its upgrade to 4.xx soon? Isn't that Android mobile can't upgrade its system? Some people said that. I am not an expert about that. Please explain. Will I be able to upgrade the system by myself if I find it is still 2.xx after I purchase Note 1

Do you think Note 1 is already sufficient for every day normal use? What's more about Note 2?

How to test the sound? What do I have to notice about the sound?

what do you mean by 'Physical condition"

I am quite worried about the screen, what do I have to check about the screen?

And, is there any official seal on the box such that I can make sure that the phone was not tested or used by anyone else before?

So many questions thank you for the help!

Twitter
    It's a bird
    Quote Originally Posted by kenny1999 View Post
    Its upgrade to 4.xx soon? Isn't that Android mobile can't upgrade its system? Some people said that. I am not an expert about that. Please explain.
    Yes...it can be upgrade.
    The people that said Android mobile cant update..

Ask them to join us here and I will show them

Will I be able to upgrade the system by myself if I find it is still 2.xx after I purchase Note 1
    Yes via KIES or you can ask the service center to upgrade for you

Do you think Note 1 is already sufficient for every day normal use? What's more about Note 2?
    Yes...Im using Original Note.
    More than sufficient...you cannot chase technology. Just use whatever affordable.

Can you change/upgrade your PC/Laptop every month? Cause every month there are always new model release!

How to test the sound? What do I have to notice about the sound?
    Test the ringtone, notification sound...etc

what do you mean by 'Physical condition"
    Check the condition of the phone body, scratches, color fading...etc.

I am quite worried about the screen, what do I have to check about the screen?
    Any scratches, check on low brightness, high brightness...etc

And, is there any official seal on the box such that I can make sure that the phone was not tested or used by anyone else before?

So many questions thank you for the help!
    Yes...

If you can wait and have budget...
    Go for the latest technology that is Note 2
    Last edited by Astrix; 10-01-2012 at 11:57 AM.

Twitter
    smalltownlife13
    I bought my Note about 3 to 4 months ago and upgraded it to ICS shortly after receiving...the phone itself is awesome but I cannot wait to pick up the Note 2 when it is released next month on VZW...

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your decision!
    The beatings will continue until moral improves...my new motto for work!
    Droid X Specific Site: www.droidxforums.com

Yes...it can be upgrade.
    The people that said Android mobile cant update..

Ask them to join us here and I will show them

Yes via KIES or you can ask the service center to upgrade for you

Yes...Im using Original Note.
    More than sufficient...you cannot chase technology. Just use whatever affordable.

Can you change/upgrade your PC/Laptop every month? Cause every month there are always new model release!

Test the ringtone, notification sound...etc

Check the condition of the phone body, scratches, color fading...etc.

Any scratches, check on low brightness, high brightness...etc

Yes...

If you can wait and have budget...
    Go for the latest technology that is Note 2

Hi thanks again for the details.

Actually I am from Hong Kong, I see that there are lots of negative comments from people of my local forum, I am not sure that's why I wish to know if Original Note (1) is really that bad. I am not chasing technology.

As for the update of Android system, is it the official approved upgrade of the system from Android 2.x to Android 4.x. If it's not, I'm really worried about the warranty as well as bugs. I've checked lots of websites saying that it is very hard to upgrade Android system.

Checking sound - Do you mean the quality of the sound? Or do you simply mean whether there is any sound or totally no sound at all

Low brightness, High brightness, Color fading. What do I have to notice about that?

People say *#0*# to check monitor but they don't give details. What's that?

Thank you again. I am a smartphone dummy

Welcome to the site. Any phone right out of the box should be in mint condition. I would insure that when buying your phone, you obtain one that you can determine that the box has not been opened. Other than that, you can always return a phone that does not meet your expectations within the return period. I would not recommend buying a phone from a private party. You should look at, and handle, the display phones in the store, to help you decide which has the 'right' feel for you.

Quote Originally Posted by cali View Post
    Welcome to the site. Any phone right out of the box should be in mint condition. I would insure that when buying your phone, you obtain one that you can determine that the box has not been opened. Other than that, you can always return a phone that does not meet your expectations within the return period. I would not recommend buying a phone from a private party. You should look at, and handle, the display phones in the store, to help you decide which has the 'right' feel for you.

Hi, Thanks for the comment

How about returned machine? Any chance of buying a returned machine? I don't want to buy something used and touched by the other users. In other words, if a customer returns a phone to the retail, how does the retail deal with the returned phone.
    Unfortunately There is no Samsung official outlets around my town.

Btw, people from my local forums commented that Note 1 consumes battery faster than that of Note 2 and it is hard for Note 1 to withstand a full-day normal use. Is that true?

I've been hearing lots of very different comment about Note 1. It makes the situation very difficult. Note 2 is undoubtedly better, of course, but if Note 1 is not that bad, I will go for Note 1. I just wonder why somebody here says Note 1 doesn't worth a penny.

I want to make an additional information about 'OUR' Note 1 since I am in Asia. The specification may be different.

Our Galaxy Note 1

Android v2.3 (Gingerbread)
    UMTS (850/900/1900/2100MHz) + GSM (850/900/1800/1900MHz)
    HSDPA 21Mbps/HSUPA 5.76Mbps / 3G/EDGE/GPRS Class 33
    TOUCHWiZ v4.0

1.4GHz Dual Core Processor
    Ram: 1GB

Does not support 4G

Is it the same as 'your' specification

Last edited by kenny1999; 10-01-2012 at 03:56 PM.

Twitter
    It's a bird
    There are lots of negative comment from your local forum.....you cannot please everyone.

There is no perfect device, no perfect people and no perfect world.

Original Note selling more then 5 millions devices...how many users complain about it?

4.99 million or less than a hundreds?

Note using lots of battery cant last for a day..
    If you keep using it non stop of course it cant last a day....
    - Im using Note can last between 6 hours if I surf multiple forums, social network listen to music at one go.
    - If I use my phone for email, texting and calling only...it can go for more than a day.
    - For the build version/no. I cant comment much as Im using custom firmware/3rd party firmware (Not for you to understand rite now, maybe future will give more detail onto it)

Like I say...
    If you new and going to start your adventure of smartphone....go for the latest device and technology.

As you want a big screen, latest will be Note 2....
    UltraDroid likes this.

There are lots of negative comment from your local forum.....you cannot please everyone.

There is no perfect device, no perfect people and no perfect world.

Original Note selling more then 5 millions devices...how many users complain about it?

4.99 million or less than a hundreds?

Note using lots of battery cant last for a day..
    If you keep using it non stop of course it cant last a day....
    - Im using Note can last between 6 hours if I surf multiple forums, social network listen to music at one go.
    - If I use my phone for email, texting and calling only...it can go for more than a day.
    - For the build version/no. I cant comment much as Im using custom firmware/3rd party firmware (Not for you to understand rite now, maybe future will give more detail onto it)

Like I say...
    If you new and going to start your adventure of smartphone....go for the latest device and technology.

As you want a big screen, latest will be Note 2....

Hello thanks for the information and forgot to come back here to thanks!

I have some more serious problems now

Some people in the local forum of my country say that even the authentic mobile with plastic seal and sticker can be an used or returned mobile and those plastic seal / sticker can be repacked (perfectly). I think this can happen in China, but I am not in China. I just wonder if those plastic seal and sticker can be easily repacked (perfectly). What do you think about that?
    Do you have any more tips for me to check a mobile when I first get it in front of the sales. Our sales are 100% untrustable. I can only rely on myself.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links