Samsung Galaxy S firmware version different in kies than phone and contacts lost

This is a discussion on Samsung Galaxy S firmware version different in kies than phone and contacts lost within the Samsung Galaxy S forums, part of the Samsung Android Phones category; To my knowledge I was running the standard firmware from Samsung FROYO.BOJS4, last night I updated two apps (farm tower HD and 3g watchdog). This ...

Thread: Samsung Galaxy S firmware version different in kies than phone and contacts lost

Unhappy Samsung Galaxy S firmware version different in kies than phone and contacts lost

To my knowledge I was running the standard firmware from Samsung FROYO.BOJS4, last night I updated two apps (farm tower HD and 3g watchdog). This morning I rebooted the phone and all the shortcuts on the home screen have gone, my contacts have disappeared (I should / hope I have them backed up at work) but the strangest thing is in settings the firmware is reported as FROYO.BOJS5!

I connected via USB to PC running Kies which says I have the latest firmware version which is FROYO.BOJS4, why is it reported differently in both places?

Only other strange things that I've noticed is that the first time I went to the market it looked different skin wise but this seems to have corrected itself since and lastly on booting the phone, when the security pattern is to be entered the phone vibrates once, then twice moments later - the usual signal to let you know some software has crashed but it doesn't say what it is. Any ideas / help would be much appreciated!

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Google Advertisement
    Android.net is the premier Android Forum on the internet.

Oh it's the Build number that's FROYO.BOJS5 (or BOJS4 in Kies) the firmware version is 2.2.1. And I can't seem to start Layar either.. Is there a way to force a firmware install? Would I lose all data?

Super Moderator/RS furbearingmammal's Avatar
    Two hours north of Syracuse, NY. Yes, there IS civilization that far north.
    Twitter
    FurryVarmint
    That is a problem. Are you rooted or anything?
    DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
    THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Nope not rooted, just as it came from t-mobile with apps installed from the normal android market and updates always done through Kies. I hear Gingerbread is making it's way to UK Galaxy S now so maybe I'll just wait for that and hope it improves things unless anyone has any bright ideas? Thanks!

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Actually, I really would advise you against using Kies. It's horrible software, with well more than it's fair share of bugs. I would also recommend you try using ODIN to keep firmware up to date, that way you don't have to deal with Kies or waiting for T-Mobile to release the latest and greatest.

Which Galaxy S device do you have? The Vibrant or the Galaxy S 4G?

Need Assistance? Contact me at dorian@android.net

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
    Which Galaxy S device do you have? The Vibrant or the Galaxy S 4G?
    Yea gradually coming to the same conclusion about Kies.. Not sure of the difference between Vibrant and 4G (first I've heard of either of them) but the model number behind the battery cover says: GT-I9000

The vibrant is a united states 3g phone and the galaxy s 4g is as well with front facing camera. The i9000 is for everywhere else besides the US. Like Dorian said use Odin instead of Kies.

Ads