Upgrade Help

This is a discussion on Upgrade Help within the Samsung Galaxy S forums, part of the Samsung Android Phones category; Ok to begin with I think I have android 2.2.2 on my Galaxy S (was labeled as firmware version) but im not entirely sure. I'm ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Upgrade Help

Upgrade Help

Ok to begin with I think I have android 2.2.2 on my Galaxy S (was labeled as firmware version) but im not entirely sure. I'm new to android, my phone is not connected to a mobile network i just use it on wifi for apps and music. I tried to update the phone but to begin the update process it shuts off wifi. Is there anyway to update the phone besides having it connected to a mobile network? Oh yeah and if there is any other info i need to give let me know (as well as where to find it Again I'm relatively new to android). Also the phone is rooted.
    Any help is greatly appreciated

Edit: I looked up the model number on Samsung's site and the model number even came up as a Fascinate Which is a little weird considering It came in a galaxy S box and has galaxy s written on the back but the model number was also short some characters.
    The model number is SCH-I500 so... i don't know if this could be a mistake or what

Second Edit: I looked up the model number on the XDA developers wiki and it came right up as the galaxy s however
    Last edited by loki3173; 04-14-2012 at 06:20 PM. Reason: model number shenanigans

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Wanted to welcome you to the site.
    loki3173 likes this.

thanks

You know that little planet in Solar System? The one with lots of water in it? Yeah, that's the one!
    Yes, Fascinate is a version of Galaxy S. If you want to upgrade it officially, just download Samsung Kies on your PC, connect your phone via USB port. It'll ask you which way you want to connect to the PC, choose Samsung Kies. Kies should recognize your device and it should automatically ask you whether you want to upgrade it. If it doesn't, you van find such option in the menu of the program. Just follow what it says and it'll upgrade your phone.

You only need Network connection on your PC, the phone doesn't need it.

---
    When people run in circles,
    it's a very very mad world.
    Tears for Fears
    Warning! All outlaws will be shot! Survivors will be shot again!

~~~ Guidelines of Conduct ~~~
    The rest of you, have a nice day.

You know that little planet in Solar System? The one with lots of water in it? Yeah, that's the one!
    Also, you said you are new to Android, yet you've already rooted your phone. It's quite dangerous to mess with it if you don't know what you're doing. I suggest you backup everything just in case something goes wrong. Titanium Backup is a good app for that.

---
    loki3173 likes this.
    Tears for Fears

Is it safe to upgrade a rooted phone using this method? I meant to ask that in the op post but apparently forgot. just making sure
    Last edited by loki3173; 04-15-2012 at 08:26 AM.

Yes, no matter whether your phone is rooted or not, it's still safe. The only danger that comes is if you'd unplug the USB cable while in the middle of the process. Kies even backup your data automatically, so you don't need to do that before you update your Android.

What I meant about root dangers is that you can accidentally disconfigure sensitive settings, delete an important system application etc. That's why I recommended to use Titanium Backup in case something goes wrong, so you wouldn't lose any important stuff.

---
    loki3173 likes this.
    Tears for Fears

The OP may be better served by posting his question to the forum dedicated to Galaxy phones here, - Samsung Galaxy Forum - Galaxy S2 Forum the Rescue Squad guys over there are all former Fascinate owners and are experts at providing help for these kind of things.
    loki3173 likes this.
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

Yeah, but his questions are already answered. :P

---
    Tears for Fears

ok after digging around kies will not recognize your phone if its rooted so what i ended up doing was learning how to use odin to flash an upgraded stock rom over and rerooting it which worked perfectly. However, I appreciate the idea to use kies and the link for the other forum.

edit: this is for people that find this thread and have the same issue i did

note this is not for the faint of heart or for people that have never done anything like this on any device

Here is where i got my rom from: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1526488
    and here is the thread i used to learn odin: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1238070
    Make sure if u don't know what your doing you read that VERY thoroughly
    Last edited by loki3173; 04-16-2012 at 03:08 PM. Reason: adding links to resources and a word of caution

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links