Battery Issue

This is a discussion on Battery Issue within the Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket forums, part of the Samsung Android Phones category; i have had my rocket for about 72 hours I noticed the battery only lasting about 24 hours, anyone else notice. i had to modify ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery Issue

Battery Issue

i have had my rocket for about 72 hours
    I noticed the battery only lasting about 24 hours, anyone else notice.
    i had to modify my home wireless router to get rocket to stay connected
    i also notice that my wireless adapter continues to scan about every 5 seconds
    this could be related to my poor battery perform ance
    with all that said, this phone is awesome
    thanks

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Google Advertisement
    Android.net is the premier Android Forum on the internet.

After you run it for the whole time next when the battery is about to die and before you put it back on the charge go into Setting/About This Phone/Battery and take a screen shot of that and post it.. hold the home key and hit the power button.

That will better help point you to what is killing your battery. Sounds like something is not letting your phone go into deep sleep.

Fluffy-
    I took a quick look and notice the display and voice calls currently consume much of the battery.
    I have attached a screen shot from the WI-Fi that shows me connected to an AP- But it continues to scan about every 5 seconds or so....no way to stop it.
    Name:  wireless_scanning_Issue.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  10.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 1cyberwarrior View Post
    Fluffy-
    I took a quick look and notice the display and voice calls currently consume much of the battery.
    I have attached a screen shot from the WI-Fi that shows me connected to an AP- But it continues to scan about every 5 seconds or so....no way to stop it.
    Attachment 456
    Note while your in that view you will continually rescan as that is default for it to keep you up to date with hotspots.. If you are not in that view you will stop scanning..

Since you said that it is showing that display and voice calls are the most then you need to do some soul searching here. How much time are you on the phone in a day? When on the phone is the screen turning off on you? It should turn off with the proximity sensor, but if you hold the phone weird to your head it may not be turning off and burning up more power then it should.

On the items listed in power click on them and see the "time" on them and see if that makes sense for you.. Example Phone if you talk on your phone all day long non-stop, it should be more then your screen time. If you talk on your phone all day long and the screen time is REALLY high then you know it is coming on when your moving it around your head..

This is where you really need to use logic as to what your using your phone.. And just make general notes.. How much time do I think I used my screen.. 50-60 minutes? Then look at the time.. If it comes close then your using the power.. But if you think.. Ohh I only made 6 calls today for 30 minutes each and that is it.. And you see your screen time is 2 hours.. Clearly it is on while it is against your head.

F-
    Thanks for the feed back- I will keep an eye on the things you have pointed out.
    Thanks
    AGain
    T

Quote Originally Posted by 1cyberwarrior View Post

i have had my rocket for about 72 hours
    I noticed the battery only lasting about 24 hours, anyone else notice.
    i had to modify my home wireless router to get rocket to stay connected
    i also notice that my wireless adapter continues to scan about every 5 seconds
    this could be related to my poor battery perform ance
    with all that said, this phone is awesome
    thanks
    24 hours? I wish lol out of all the smartphones I have had the galaxy sII line has gotten the best battery. Even at that I have never seen close to 24 hours on any of my smartphones. Maybe I am just a much heavier user but taking the phone off the charger at 7am and using it throughout the day (I sell cell phones so I demonstrate mine all day) I end the day at 1am'ish at like 20% If I tried to leave it till I woke up it would certainly die during the night.

I also always have the screen brightness jacked up (big selling point on the screen) and do not really restrict my phone from updating regularly and keeping in contact with my remote desktop.

One thing that has always been true about the newer smartphones is to turn off any app you are not using. I've only had mine about 3 days but I am banging the heck out of it fooling around and I'm down to 30% charge at end of day. To me that's acceptable for all the power the phone has.

The only issue I have right now is mine won't USB tether or stay a Hotspot (it starts and then dies in about 30 seconds). This may be AT&T messing with me due to data plan, I'm not really concerned at this point. I have seen where you can root the phone and then over rule the AT&T deal. Not ready to go that path yet.

You may want to look into an app to manage your settings.

First go and download RadioOPT from the market(it's free). This will let you monitor your traffic and you can see what apps are constantly opening an internet connection draining your battery.

Specifically I use Juice Defender (Ultimate) to help with battery/app management.

Juice Defender is free, but a $4.99 for the Ultimate (which is worth it if you want to custimize)

What I ahve it set to do is shut down my data(LTE/4G), and wifi radios when the screen is locked(since the phone calls and SMS is on a seperate radio from the LTE/4G HSPA+ radio there is no issues with receiving calls/texts - now MMS is based on data so it will affect pictures texts, but once your LTE radio is back on, you can download the message from the servers).

As soon as I unlock I have it set to wifi preferred, which means it will attempt a wifi connection first before powering the LTE radio back up(FYI even when you are on wifi, your LTE radio is still running in the background eating up battery - this is why you are still able to receive MMS messages). If it can't find a wifi connection, it turns wifi off and turns the standard LTE radio back on(there is even a setting to let it learn your preferences so it will turn wifi on automatically once your within range of a wifi signal you have connected to in the past based on GPS)

It also includes a setting to block internet access to specific apps(and trust me there are apps that are data hungry and constantly update draining your battery)

...any of you have got a fake 100% battery level throughout all the day after charging your skyrocket with a non-official AC charger?

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    ...any of you have got a fake 100% battery level throughout all the day after charging your skyrocket with a non-official AC charger?
    That is a known issue, I would recommend downloading a seperate battery widget. I personally use Batterylife, it is lite and doesn't ask for any crazy permissions and free.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads