Galaxy S2 - Media Scanning Stops Music Play Back

This is a discussion on Galaxy S2 - Media Scanning Stops Music Play Back within the Samsung Galaxy S2 forums, part of the Samsung Android Phones category; Hello I haven been trying to listen to music stored on the "USB storage" and "SD storage" locations, but after a few tracks (or an ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Galaxy S2 - Media Scanning Stops Music Play Back

Galaxy S2 - Media Scanning Stops Music Play Back

Hello

I haven been trying to listen to music stored on the "USB storage" and "SD storage" locations, but after a few tracks (or an uncertain length of time) its stops while doing a media scan. And I have to start again. Everytime.

Surely this can't be right. Any ideas.

Tried with no SD card installed.
    Tried with music on SD card.
    Tried installed Startup mananger and disabled Media storage process

Thanks
    Skully.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Twitter
    _B0BB0_
    What app are you using? What do you mean USB Storage? The music should be played from the SD Card. Also try using SDRescan (free in market) prior to using the music app. You might need to format the card

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Media scanner only runs when mounting or unmounting storage from the phone or from your PC on Samsung devices. On AOSP/Nexus/CM7 devices media scanner runs when you add a file, like downloading a picture or music file, or when mounting or unmounting a storage source. It shouldn't ever be running unless you're adding music to your phone from your PC over USB or if you're swapping out an external SD card, if you're on stock Samsung software.

If it is running, and you're using stock Samsung software, and you're not doing any of the things above... then you may want to check your microSD card. Having it loose in the socket would cause it to mount/unmount at random times. If your SD card looks good, and it's still doing it, you may want to RMA your device because the internal memory is failing or the microSD socket is defective. I've actually seen that on several Samsung devices.

Need Assistance? Contact me at dorian@android.net

Twitter
    _B0BB0_
    Best advice once again Dorian.

Thanks for the advice Dorian,

but I have removed SD card, and only copied music direct to the device's internal storage (known as USB storage on this Samsung device).
    I am running stock software, no modding, and find it weird that the media scanning completely halts playback after a few songs. Everytime, even after its done the initial boot scan.

Does any one else have this issue?
    Samsung galaxy S2
    Model Number: GTI9100
    Andriod 2.3.3

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    I would suggest that you try reflashing your stock firmware then. Because a factory restore/reset usually won't fix system issues like a broken media scanner. You can find your stock firmware packages and ODIN here: (ODIN is the program used to flash your phone)

[ROM + Guide]Official i9100 KE1/KE2/KE7/KE8/KF1/KF4 download and Root Guide. - xda-developers

Or you could return your device for another...

Quote Originally Posted by skully78 View Post
    Thanks for the advice Dorian,

but I have removed SD card, and only copied music direct to the device's internal storage (known as USB storage on this Samsung device).
    I am running stock software, no modding, and find it weird that the media scanning completely halts playback after a few songs. Everytime, even after its done the initial boot scan.

Does any one else have this issue?
    Samsung galaxy S2
    Model Number: GTI9100
    Andriod 2.3.3
    skully i have read this thread with great interest, i have the exact same phone/problem! i called my phone provider who put me through to there "samsung tech guys" i explained my problem (the same as yours) to which he said " yes your right the media scanner should not kick in when playing music" and that i probably had a faulty hand set, he gave me a code to take to the mobile store and to get a replacement phone, i did exactly that and guess what? i still have the same problem "media scanning" randomly. at this moment i would like to thank dorian for the answers given but i can't help thinking that there must be a more simple explanation i mean one faulty phone is unlucky but two faulty phones is surely pushing it.i would be more than grateful if anyone else could give any tips or advice.

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by dark star View Post
    skully i have read this thread with great interest, i have the exact same phone/problem! i called my phone provider who put me through to there "samsung tech guys" i explained my problem (the same as yours) to which he said " yes your right the media scanner should not kick in when playing music" and that i probably had a faulty hand set, he gave me a code to take to the mobile store and to get a replacement phone, i did exactly that and guess what? i still have the same problem "media scanning" randomly. at this moment i would like to thank dorian for the answers given but i can't help thinking that there must be a more simple explanation i mean one faulty phone is unlucky but two faulty phones is surely pushing it.i would be more than grateful if anyone else could give any tips or advice.
    It's likely a software bug. Could you state which baseband version your phone is at? You should find it in Settings-->About Phone...

They've released several different versions of software for the i9100, and most contain pretty big bug fixes.

dorian thanks for the reply,the baseband version is 9100xxke4.
    hope that helps in some way.

kind regards dark star.

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by dark star View Post
    dorian thanks for the reply,the baseband version is 9100xxke4.
    hope that helps in some way.

kind regards dark star.
    NP! We're all here to help.

XXKE4 is about 5 firmware versions behind. Try XWKF1. It's the latest as of June 3rd.

Here is the link to download the .rar that has all the ODIN files in it: Hotfile.com: One click file hosting: I9100XWKF1.rar
    Here is the link to ODIN, the program that you use to flash your phone:Hotfile.com: One click file hosting: Odin3 v1.83.exe

Do note that this will wipe your phone, including all contacts, SMS messages, apps... everything. But your internalSD will be untouched. So back up your stuff! You can find "SMS Backup and Restore" in the Market for free, and you can find another like it for call logs. You can back up downloaded apps with "Titanium Backup" from the Market. Your contacts should be sync'd with Google. Upon turning on the phone after doing this update, you'll log into your Google account and your contacts will be automatically restored, as will your GMail and Google Books.
    1. Basically what you'll do is extract the .rar to a folder on your desktop
    2. Launch ODIN and put the right file in the right slot in ODIN (they're labeled)
    3. Put your phone in download mode (turn your phone off, then turn it on again by pressing and holding Volume Down + Home + Power at the same time)
    4. Connect your phone to your computer and let ODIN detect it. You should see a yellow box inside ODIN saying a "COM" number.
    5. Now press start and DO NOT UNPLUG YOUR PHONE OR BOTHER ODIN while it's flashing. Doing so may result in a brick.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links