Did my phone turn off to stop overheating?

This is a discussion on Did my phone turn off to stop overheating? within the Samsung Galaxy S2 forums, part of the Samsung Android Phones category; About less than an hour ago I left my Samsung Galaxy S2 phone and then later on picked it up and it felt hot...not boiling ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did my phone turn off to stop overheating?

Did my phone turn off to stop overheating?

About less than an hour ago I left my Samsung Galaxy S2 phone and then later on picked it up and it felt hot...not boiling hot but way hotter than normal, and I can't even turn it on.

Having tried to make sure it never goes above 40 degrees I'm worried I might have accidently damaged in the insides (what if the processor melted or something). Did the phone turn itself off to stop further overheating?

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Google Advertisement
    Android.net is the premier Android Forum on the internet.

Super Moderator/RS furbearingmammal's Avatar
    Two hours north of Syracuse, NY. Yes, there IS civilization that far north.
    Twitter
    FurryVarmint
    The CPU wouldn't melt, but the motherboard can't take anywhere near the temperature the CPU can take. Pull the battery out of the phone, let it sit for a couple hours in a cool location, and then try again. You may need to charge the battery.

If it still won't boot then consider contacting Samsung or your carrier for a warranty replacement.
    DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
    THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Quote Originally Posted by furbearingmammal View Post
    The CPU wouldn't melt, but the motherboard can't take anywhere near the temperature the CPU can take. Pull the battery out of the phone, let it sit for a couple hours in a cool location, and then try again. You may need to charge the battery.

If it still won't boot then consider contacting Samsung or your carrier for a warranty replacement.
    Okay done that, I'll wait and see if it works. I just find it odd how my laptop can overheat so much yet still work, yet a phone practically breaks down when overheating

Twitter
    FurryVarmint
    Larger components are tougher. Same reason a Mack truck can go 500,000 miles in a few years and not need anything other than oil changes but a car needs a new transmission after 200,000.

Great analogy fbm. Also don't forget pc hardware and development of heat sinks etc.. Has been around a lot longer than a cellphone much less a smart cellphone.

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    I'll look into it, but it's entirely possible the S2 has a lower "cut-off" temperature than other phones, because of it's thinness... so that it doesn't get unnecessarily hot on the users hand.

A tip for Samsung's 2.3.3... Root your phone and install "AutoKiller Memory Optimizer". Set your phone to "Aggressive" under the presets. That will keep more free memory, killing off a lot of background tasks that can hang and really heat up your phone while charging, and otherwise. I've found it's especially true on Samsung's 2.3.3. It hangs certain apps all the time, causing the CPU usage to be stuck at 100%, and it heats up really quick when it's pegged out. I've yet to see that issue on 2.3.4, so maybe Samsung has fixed that.

Need Assistance? Contact me at dorian@android.net

Quote Originally Posted by Invisible Crane View Post
    Okay done that, I'll wait and see if it works. I just find it odd how my laptop can overheat so much yet still work, yet a phone practically breaks down when overheating
    Just wanted to add that a laptop also has an active cooling system where a phone can only rely on very thin heat shields. It would be like trying to do folding while the laptop is in your bag. Without air the laptop will overheat quickly
    How to turn your brand new iPod touch into a brick
    Step 1: Connect your device to your computer
    Step 2: Click "UPDATE" in iTunes

Twitter
    FurryVarmint
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
    I'll look into it, but it's entirely possible the S2 has a lower "cut-off" temperature than other phones, because of it's thinness... so that it doesn't get unnecessarily hot on the users hand.

A tip for Samsung's 2.3.3... Root your phone and install "AutoKiller Memory Optimizer". Set your phone to "Aggressive" under the presets. That will keep more free memory, killing off a lot of background tasks that can hang and really heat up your phone while charging, and otherwise. I've found it's especially true on Samsung's 2.3.3. It hangs certain apps all the time, causing the CPU usage to be stuck at 100%, and it heats up really quick when it's pegged out. I've yet to see that issue on 2.3.4, so maybe Samsung has fixed that.
    I wish to point out to the OP that freeing up RAM does nothing for the system's performance or battery life. Android is designed to run with full memory due to the limitations of the handset design over a desktop or even laptop computer. However, when it comes to background processes putting demands on the CPU and generating heat I would agree that you don't need that kind of hit to your CPU.

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by furbearingmammal View Post
    I wish to point out to the OP that freeing up RAM does nothing for the system's performance or battery life. Android is designed to run with full memory due to the limitations of the handset design over a desktop or even laptop computer. However, when it comes to background processes putting demands on the CPU and generating heat I would agree that you don't need that kind of hit to your CPU.
    I meant it more as a fault to Samsung's 2.3.3 builds, where it unnecessarily hangs background tasks. If you free them from RAM before they hang, you don't have the issue. But otherwise, I totally agree... especially on 2.3.4. 2.3.4 does WONDERS for battery life, it seems in Samsung builds, without a taskmanager or minfree modification. CM7 is still a battery hog for some reason though...?

Need Assistance? Contact me at dorian@android.net

Twitter
    FurryVarmint
    That's probably because the kernel doesn't have the proper tweaks for the Samsung hardware.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads