'Unable to send' message

This is a discussion on 'Unable to send' message within the Samsung Galaxy S2 forums, part of the Samsung Android Phones category; I know this will not specifically be a problem with the Galaxy S2, but I am hoping someone else on here can provide the answer ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Unable to send' message

'Unable to send' message

I know this will not specifically be a problem with the Galaxy S2, but I am hoping someone else on here can provide the answer please. Only had the handset a week and had no problems at all. Have noticed that whenever I think I have sent a long MMS text message it does not actually send. I get the 'Currently unable to send your message. Will try again when the service becomes available.' It never sends at all, even a day later it does not go. So far it's happened to all my messages that become MMS. If I shorten it there is no problem. The handset was set up for me at our o2 shop so presume it's been done correctly.

Am I missing something?

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Google Advertisement
    Android.net is the premier Android Forum on the internet.

Although this is an old 'hit' on Google, it appears the max limit is 160 characters for SMS, unless O2 has changed:
    O2-UK Maximum Text (SMS) Length??? - MacRumors Forums

a
    nd 300k for MMS:
    http://www.google.com/support/forum/...8ca9f726&hl=en
    Beauty is in the eyes of the beerholder

Smile Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post
    Although this is an old 'hit' on Google, it appears the max limit is 160 characters for SMS, unless O2 has changed:
    O2-UK Maximum Text (SMS) Length??? - MacRumors Forums

a
    nd 300k for MMS:
    Using an O2 iPhone SIM in you Nexus and getting Internet/MMS to work - Android Help
    Thanks alphawave7. I had not found those links when I searched Google but they have been quite useful and given me some possibilities for the solution which I am now checking with o2.

Quote Originally Posted by DestinyAngel View Post
    I know this will not specifically be a problem with the Galaxy S2, but I am hoping someone else on here can provide the answer please. Only had the handset a week and had no problems at all. Have noticed that whenever I think I have sent a long MMS text message it does not actually send. I get the 'Currently unable to send your message. Will try again when the service becomes available.' It never sends at all, even a day later it does not go. So far it's happened to all my messages that become MMS. If I shorten it there is no problem. The handset was set up for me at our o2 shop so presume it's been done correctly.

Am I missing something?

Thanks
    I had this problem as well when I first got my phone. Unless it has changed, you will not be able send big multimedia messages.

Quote Originally Posted by p3unit32 View Post
    I had this problem as well when I first got my phone. Unless it has changed, you will not be able send big multimedia messages.
    EUREKA!

I feel a bit of an idiot but I 'think' I have sorted it. With my i8510 I used to send long messages no problem, but the SG2 and it's capabilities is very new to me and am still learning. In an effort to preserve battery power a bit longer I had decided to turn data network mode off after checking that I could still send and receive texts - which I could! If I needed to go online/check emails etc, I simply activate it again. At least I now do not have to charge the phone every day. On the occasions I had tried to send the long MMS messages I had obviously been offline. I have recently tested a long MMS and it sent immediately when data network was on.

Am interested to find out if receiving MMS is a problem if data network is off? Ah well! it's a learning curve.

Thanks for your replies.

Quote Originally Posted by DestinyAngel View Post
    EUREKA!

I feel a bit of an idiot but I 'think' I have sorted it. With my i8510 I used to send long messages no problem, but the SG2 and it's capabilities is very new to me and am still learning. In an effort to preserve battery power a bit longer I had decided to turn data network mode off after checking that I could still send and receive texts - which I could! If I needed to go online/check emails etc, I simply activate it again. At least I now do not have to charge the phone every day. On the occasions I had tried to send the long MMS messages I had obviously been offline. I have recently tested a long MMS and it sent immediately when data network was on.

Am interested to find out if receiving MMS is a problem if data network is off? Ah well! it's a learning curve.

Thanks for your replies.
    Aha! Yep..data can help! Glad it's sorted..and ready to help when you need it! Enjoy!
    Beauty is in the eyes of the beerholder

Hi,

After appearing to have sorted my original problem of sending long text messages I find that I am now unable to send picture messages. After I press send it says 'Sending' but never actually changes to 'sent' - no matter how long I wait. (Yes! I have made sure I have data on). I cannot see anything relevant in the settings but I must be missing something obvious. Please help.

Thanks

Download a small image off of the internet such as your avatar on this site. Try to send it. It will be in your downloads folder found in the Gallery. Maybe your picture file size is too large.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
    Download a small image off of the internet such as your avatar on this site. Try to send it. It will be in your downloads folder found in the Gallery. Maybe your picture file size is too large.
    Thanks. I managed to send what I think is a small file (46KB) but even at that size I was warned that the picture was too large and it was being compressed. I wish I knew what the optimum size is as I cannot find it anywhere in the S2 settings.

Could this be a carrier limitation? With my phone I can send any size that I like.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads