Personalized Ringtones not working (Tmobile)

This is a discussion on Personalized Ringtones not working (Tmobile) within the Samsung Galaxy S2 forums, part of the Samsung Android Phones category; Hi everyone, So something really strange is going on with my wife's S2. When she tries to set an individual ringtone, it never takes effect ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By JET
  • 1 Post By Sarfa

Thread: Personalized Ringtones not working (Tmobile)

Personalized Ringtones not working (Tmobile)

Hi everyone,

So something really strange is going on with my wife's S2.

When she tries to set an individual ringtone, it never takes effect and the phone always rings the default tone. The weird part is, my wife and I bought our phones at the exact same time and have them set up the same way, but I am not having the same problem.

Here's what we're doing:

Contacts-->Edit-->Ringtone-->Select sound from My files-->external_SD

Then we select the song from the folder within the SD card. The ringtone registers on the contacts screen and seems to save correctly, but then the phone plays the default ringtone instead when receiving a call.

I tried deleting the contact from the phone's memory and creating it again, but same thing still happens. Tried turning the phone off and turning it on again, but same thing still happens. I tried customizing the ringtone through the group assignment instead of the contacts menu, but same thing still happens... I'm totally stumped.

Any suggestions??

Thanks,
    S

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Google Advertisement
    Android.net is the premier Android Forum on the internet.

JET
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarfa View Post
    Hi everyone,

So something really strange is going on with my wife's S2.

When she tries to set an individual ringtone, it never takes effect and the phone always rings the default tone. The weird part is, my wife and I bought our phones at the exact same time and have them set up the same way, but I am not having the same problem.

Here's what we're doing:

Contacts-->Edit-->Ringtone-->Select sound from My files-->external_SD

Then we select the song from the folder within the SD card. The ringtone registers on the contacts screen and seems to save correctly, but then the phone plays the default ringtone instead when receiving a call.

I tried deleting the contact from the phone's memory and creating it again, but same thing still happens. Tried turning the phone off and turning it on again, but same thing still happens. I tried customizing the ringtone through the group assignment instead of the contacts menu, but same thing still happens... I'm totally stumped.

Any suggestions??

Thanks,
    S
    Same exact thing has happened to me and my wife. We even went to the store and tried a brand new phone and same thing! But...We just figured it out! Okay, so here we go... From within your computer, go to your Google contacts, the is a "My Contacts" label. At the bottom, there is an "Other" label. Somewhere in there are duplicates, so the phone doesn't know which to assign the cutom ringtone to. Go through and clean up all Google contacts, plus add the "My Contacts" to any contact that doesn't have it. Then delete any from the "other" list and any doubles in the contacts. Then, on your phone, open contacts and go to menu-more-settings-save new contacts to, and select Google. (Trust me on this one...PLASE DO THIS.) Then go to contacts, menu, and select Merge with Google. (You may lose contacts that you've put in your phone from your phone, but this is the only time this will happen.) From this point on, anything done in the Google contacts will instantly update in your phone and vise-versa, but more importantly, your ringtones should work when assigned to individual contacts.

If that doesn't work, let me know, there is one other thing to try. Good Luck!

Joe
    Last edited by JET; 11-30-2011 at 08:36 PM.
    furbearingmammal likes this.

Dear Joe,

Thank you!!!! I was able to fix it based on your advice! Because my wife basically does not ever use her Google Account (she only created it because Android made her and she has never sent an email from it), merging her contacts with Google was not a practical solution for her. However, I started thinking that the basic premise of your idea was probably correct -- her phone was using the default ringtone because it was confused about multiple contacts (Skype, Google, Phone, etc.) all with my name.

Sure enough, I was able to determine that my wife had also registered my cell phone number in her Skype contact information for me and the phone was considering calls from me as coming from both the contact saved in the phone and from Skype, and was therefore defaulting the ringtone because it was confused. I merged the two contacts together in the phone, assigned the same custom ringtone to both, then unmerged them and -- viola! -- problem solved.

Thanks so much again for your help!!!!

S
    Last edited by Sarfa; 12-01-2011 at 01:36 PM. Reason: spelling correction
    furbearingmammal likes this.

Super Moderator/RS furbearingmammal's Avatar
    Two hours north of Syracuse, NY. Yes, there IS civilization that far north.
    Twitter
    FurryVarmint
    Thanks for the tips! Hopefully other users will find them helpful as well!
    DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
    THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

JET
    GREAT! And thank you for letting me know how things worked out for you.

Joe

Thanks for the tips and sharing.

Ads