Please Help Me, Huge Problem

This is a discussion on Please Help Me, Huge Problem within the Samsung Galaxy S2 forums, part of the Samsung Android Phones category; GALAXY S2 I ran into some serious trouble and am looking for any help you can offer. Last night, I plugged my phone via USB ...

Thread: Please Help Me, Huge Problem

Exclamation Please Help Me, Huge Problem

GALAXY S2

I ran into some serious trouble and am looking for any help you can offer.

Last night, I plugged my phone via USB to the computer to do some file transfers. But I decided to also do a backup which I haven't done in about 5 months. When i loaded KIES, it said I needed to update it, so I did. No problems, and KIES restarted. Needless to say, I didn't do the backup, since I figured I'd update first.

When it restarted and connected to my phone (GS2), it also told me my firmware is out of date and that it will update it (I had 2.3.3, but I don't know if that is what was means, 2.3.3 is the Android version, probably different from firmware). It said it will make my phone faster and more responsive.

It downloaded, updated, downloading at about 3MB/s for a minute or so (so about 200MB??). Anyhow, it went through the process, and when it was done, it told me the phone needed rebooting. When I looked at the phone, it was already rebooting by itself.

However, at that point, the black screen of start up showed up (with white letters saying GALAXY I9100), after that, the beautiful graphics came up (purple and green and red), and finally, the S logo which is there when the phone loads. However, that is where it sits, for hours, and will not go further.

However, it's not frozen, it sits there, but the S goes through the colour phazes, as if it's loading something, and every 10 seconds or so, a small vibration can be felt as well, lasting a few 10ths of a second. The white S all the while is going through the colourful phaze, like it's working on something, trying to load?.

I left it like that all night, but nothing, and if I unplug it, that drains the battery within a few hours. I removed the battery to no help. The only explanation I have is that somehow the update was not finished, but it did say it was, and it rebooted. My phone is not rooted.

I have lots of data, but most of it is backed up, I care more for the phone. It is not rooted, but it is unlocked (originally VIRGIN in Canada, but now running Telus, Canada)

Other than this, the phone was always perfect.

Thank you in advance.

I'm hoping to all hope that I can get through this, even today being without a phone is crazy, and I paid good money for it a year ago! Please.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Twitter
    It's a bird
    - Hold [Power+Home+VoulmeUp] button till it boot to recover 3e
    - Navigate it the recovery to clear cache and data/factory reset.
    - Once both clear, reboot your phone

Thank you I will try that as soon as I get home, I'm guessing I will lose all data and contacts, but that's a small price to have a phone, i hope it works.

Does that put the phone into safe mode? It seems the way you describe it that it actually boots up, so why do I have to do a factory reset? Could it connect to KIES in safe mode or 3e mode (whatever that is) and maybe fix the problem by finishing the update?

Also, once unlocked, the phone is always unlocked right? I don't know if I saved the code, so will a factory reset make the phone locked again? That would suck right up... lol

Thanx in advance.

Ok this is the weirdest thing. So, I did as you said, and sure enough, it said "installing software" after a long time (I thought it didn't work at first, the S screen was there for about 3 minutes). Then it went on to ask me for my google acct. and so on, as if from the factory. However, I had Android 2.3.3 on there before, and 2.1 came from the factory, yet something looked funny, and the phone is responding amazingly now. So I went to check what version (I thought it went back, but it looks very pretty), and law and behold, it now says Android 4.0.3, wth!! I mean I am very happy about this, I would have screwed up my phone on purpose to get Android 4, but I just wanted to share how my misery went to glory in a short 12 hours!

Thanx again.

PS. It never deleted any of my data on the internal or external cards, just the contacts etc. which I have backed up anyway, so it's awesome in any case. I won't forget this little e3 trick either, you never know, but I doubt I'll ever trust KIES again.

Twitter
    It's a bird
    You're welcome and congrats

GB to ICS is a major upgrade...by performing from recovery 3e will remove any left over from GB.

Once again..Congrats :thumbup:

It's awesome, there's no doubt, Ice Cream all around! I love the look, and it's so fast, much more responsive then before, my S2 feels brand new now.

That being said, are there any launchers that can replace the one that comes with ICS? The reason I ask is only for one purpose, I really like to have my main icons on the bottom, and the regular launcher only has the 4, and you cannot scroll them like I could with my aftermarket launcher with 2.3.3. Other then that it's great, and even if I can't scroll the bottom, or the launchers are ill-advised, I'll just have to put more icons on the screens.

One thing I can't find is how to manage the amount of icons per row and column, I could do that as well before.

EDIT: one more thing, how did this happen, how did my phone upgrade itself after a wipe? Wouldn't it go to the same factory settings when I bought it? It was downloading something when it returned to function, and updated something, so I guess that is what it did, but why do I need KIES at all then?

Twitter
    It's a bird
    Quote Originally Posted by Trypt View Post
    That being said, are there any launchers that can replace the one that comes with ICS?
    Take a look at this awesome launcher: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...launcher&hl=en

how did this happen, how did my phone upgrade itself after a wipe?
    Left over GB files that will be delete when you perform as above

but why do I need KIES at all then?
    Its part of Samsung software

Thanx for that, the Apex launcher is absolutely incredible. I have the free one now, but unlocked, but will pay for it cuz it's awesome. Another thing I noticed is how much longer my battery lasts now, the new ICS is so much more efficient, before I absolutely had to plug in every day or the next day it would die on me in the middle of the day, now I'm at about 48 hours and it's not even at half yet, and I have all the auto stuff on and everthing. Not to mention how smooth and responsive the phone is now, amazing.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links