Rooting the Samsung Intercept

This is a discussion on Rooting the Samsung Intercept within the Samsung Intercept Hacking forums, part of the Samsung Intercept category; Originally Posted by A30N I, too, have the issue with unresponsive home and back buttons. I will take up the cause of rooting the intercept ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rooting the Samsung Intercept

Junior Member Intercepted Inception's Avatar

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by A30N View Post
    I, too, have the issue with unresponsive home and back buttons. I will take up the cause of rooting the intercept if noone else does, but I will have to read all the tutorials for rooting other Samsung Galaxy handsets and acquire the software necessary to do so.

If you do decide to mess around with the firmware, make sure you have the equipment protection plan, otherwise you'll be out of pocket for a replacement!
    Isn't the Galaxy a completely different phone? On Sprint it is called the Epic, and will be released later this summer. I do have the equipment protection plan, but won't be installing or modifying anything that hasn't been tested by experts anyway. In any even, good luck if you do decide to root the Intercept.

---------------------------------------------------------

The Home and Back keys seem to be slightly better now, and I'm not sure if it's because installing LauncherPro somehow improved it, or if I'm just starting to getting used to the touching the soft keys in a certain way. It's probably just that I'm more used to it, because they are still difficult to activate occasionally.

Overall I'm satisfied with the phone for the $100 price, but I still might be returning it in favor of the Samsung Epic when it is released. The Epic is basically a much more refined and finished version of the Intercept - larger QWERTY keyboard with a 5th row so space bar isn't jumbled in between "v" and "b," much higher resolution screen and it's Super AMOLED so it has higher contrast, vibrancy, and viewing angle. Video plays much better on it - it looks crisp and clean in all the reviews I've seen, whereas I've noticed some lag and artifacts on the Intercept. Faster stock processor at 1Ghz vs 800Mhz on the Intercept, and probably MUCH faster once they're both rooted and overclocked. 5mp camera instead of 3.2mp on back, and 1.3mp cam on front for self shots and video calls on Skype (my personal purpose for the front cam) or video conferencing. The 3.5mm audio jack is on the top where it should be, instead of foolishly on the side as it is on the Intercept. :4g: in major cities, and can be used as a small, portable Wi-Fi hub for 5 devices. And lastly, of course, the home and back keys seem to respond well and consistently from the videos on YouTube I've watched.

I understand this is a rooting Intercept thread, and I don't mean to derail the topic, nor do I mean to bash the Intercept. As my first android phone, I do actually enjoy it quite a lot, but considering the future...I imagine myself with the Intercept in 6 months down the road already hungry for a newer, better phone. On the other hand, I picture myself with the Epic, and not only completely happy with it 6 months, but also all the way until my next 2 yr upgrade is available.

If I pay $100 for the Intercept (which I feel is a fair price for it by the way), then why not pay just another $100 on top of that (assuming Sprint has the same pricing scheme for it as the Evo - $300 - $100 mail in rebate) for the Epic? Just thought I would share with my thoughts based on my research with my fellow Intercept users.

I like the phone, too. I had to disable features (haptic, the 'beep' on every touch, etc.)...and I downloaded the 'home-switcher' app. It has its weirdnesses, but is not a bad phone for what you pay. I found that the fring app disables the mic, but I'm not 100% if that's the app or the phone (possibly an intentional bug??). I would like to root the phone though, if only to get rid of the annoying Sprint apps. There was a post on one of these forums claiming that they don't take any memory, etc., but one app in particular, sprint zone, likes to spontaneously start and chew up ram.

But, a few gripes aside, I really enjoy the phone. I will keep coming back to check on the root process. I have seen apps specifically for a rooted samsung intercept, so I assume this is feasible!

Thanks.

hey all-
    I'm having a TON of lag problems. SO much so that if the solution is rooting the intercept, well, sign me up. Seems it might be related to heat, maybe? We're not talking a ton of heat either.. just my current speculation.

if anyone figures out how to root it,post the instructions on here.

thought I'd come back and at least post my fix* for the lag problem
    * denotes its a crappy fix.

I was thinking about rooting the thing, but basically I installed LauncherPro and uninstalled all the apps I'd tried out and didnt really need (basically half the apps on my phone; but not stock apps) and its running beautifully now.

Quote Originally Posted by sleepraider View Post
    thought I'd come back and at least post my fix* for the lag problem
    * denotes its a crappy fix.

I was thinking about rooting the thing, but basically I installed LauncherPro and uninstalled all the apps I'd tried out and didnt really need (basically half the apps on my phone; but not stock apps) and its running beautifully now.
    LauncherPro is awesome, isn't it?

Smile root app for samsung intercept

i have found a root app it is actually for the samsung epic 4g but it works on samsung intercept 2.1 update1 i have used this on my phone works perfectly.
    just follow the instructions minus installing driver.

One click root for the Epic 4G! v2.2.4 Now has Busybox & remount scripts! - xda-developers

Re: using Epic 4G root ?

Quote Originally Posted by mike3020 View Post
    i have found a root app it is actually for the samsung epic 4g but it works on samsung intercept 2.1 update1 i have used this on my phone works perfectly.
    just follow the instructions minus installing driver.

One click root for the Epic 4G! v2.2.4 Now has Busybox & remount scripts! - xda-developers
    OK...but how do you get usb debugging to work without a driver...?

Also, do you mind posting which of the several root app versions in that thread you used, or giving a detailed list of steps?

Thanks!

Question Re: using Epic 4G root ?

It looks like you used 2.2.4 (from the name of the link--I'm a genius!) but many users in that thread had issues with it (I wasn't asking to be a dink). Also, you can't run the .bat file without being in usb debug mode, and once I hit that I get the "found new hardware" xp nonsense.

Thanks again.

Can anyone verify this will work before I try it?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links