How would you rate this phone?

This is a discussion on How would you rate this phone? within the Sony Xperia Play forums, part of the Sony Android Phones category; Originally Posted by gertman GameBoiye, I wish I was in the same situation as you. BUT I really am always looking for "that next app" ...

View Poll Results: Mac or PC

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mac

9 14.75%
  • PC

39 63.93%
  • Both

11 18.03%
  • Neither

2 3.28%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How would you rate this phone?

Quote Originally Posted by gertman View Post
    GameBoiye,

I wish I was in the same situation as you. BUT I really am always looking for "that next app" and probably have a lot of apps installed that I don't even use. I just want to have them? I know it doesn't make a lot of sense. So here is an example, right now I have roughly 87mb free and everything that can possibly be moved to the SD card is there....aka this is where rooting will help. Anyway, good app is say Zillow or Google Earth. Yeah I don't really use them that much AND I know that Google Maps is practically the same as Google Earth, BUT darn it if it's not just one of those apps that nice to have.....in case you want to use it. So, with the Xperia Play I do NOT have these apps loaded due to the low memory.

I don't want to get into any debate or anything BUT if you compare the specifications of the current crop of Android phones I am pretty sure the Xperia has one of the lowest if not THE lowest internal memory. Maybe there is a low end or free phone that has lower memory but otherwise that is it. And I just don't understand why.

Now, you know that there are plenty of apps that can not be moved to the SD card without rooting and this is why they should have given us at least 1GB or maybe 2GB? Was that really too much to ask? I mean isn't memory fairly cheap right now? I know I would have paid 50 bucks more if there was an option to buy one with 1GB internal memory.

So in conclusion, I would really like the flexibility to be able to install any/ all apps I want!!
    Yeah trust me, I know what you mean. Though at the same time do you think you'll find another 87 mbs of apps that won't transfer to SD? Just curious, I don't download apps enough but from what I've seen anything over 4-5 mbs seems to always have a transfer to phone option. And you can get away with the internal memory getting down to around 15-20mb before you have any problems.

But of course, I wish Sony would have put just a little more into this phone. 1GB internal memory and 1GB of RAM would have made the phone simply perfect. Maybe they had problems with battery life or heat that causes them to have to use the smaller chips. Who knows...

Though I do wonder if Sony is taking a profit loss on this. I doubt they are giving it away like they do with the PSP and PS3s but this phone still seems relatively cheep. They could easily sell it for 500-550 (since other phones that are just barely more powerful go for 600+) yet verizon has it for sale for $450. Of course most people don't pay full price but being cheaper overall means that Verizon has to subsidize less and therefore is more likely to push it for their new customers or 2 year plan renewals.

I rate the Phone a 9 because of one issue. When downloading games or what ever it requires you to use a WIFI connection which is stupid because I dont have the internet at my home so I have to go to a friends house to update my games. I dont know why they just dont use the 3G for this instead they use stupid WIFI. Other then that the phone is perfect I have no complaints

Quote Originally Posted by 4lc4pon3 View Post
    I rate the Phone a 9 because of one issue. When downloading games or what ever it requires you to use a WIFI connection which is stupid because I dont have the internet at my home so I have to go to a friends house to update my games. I dont know why they just dont use the 3G for this instead they use stupid WIFI. Other then that the phone is perfect I have no complaints
    Just FYI, that's not the phone issue, that's a Verizon issue. They don't want massive data traffic slowing down their network.

So I had a co-worker come down to see my phone because he is interested in one, and of course when I started up Asphalt 6 the dang phone rebooted -_-

He was not impressed...

ROFL I would have told him that God did not want him to have a phone and it was a sign.

I love this phone..My rate is 10/10

Quote Originally Posted by hairdewx View Post
    I'll rank it an 8. It's a very good phone, but there is always room for improvement.

Pro's:

+ impressive battery life
    + decent screen
    + controls are nicely done
    + makes emulation really shine
    + OS runs very smoothly
    + front facing camera
    + increasing developer support

Neutral:

= implementation of the analog touch pads is interesting, but I still prefer physical analog pads if possible
    = no dual core processor, which is not so bad in light of news that Android is not optimized fully for dual core power consumption

Cons:

- Verizon bloatware (removable by rooting, but will void warranty)
    - Indicator light is on top of the phone instead of in the front
    - battery cover is very flimsy
    - would prefer a thinner phone
    - light sensor can be TOO sensitive at times
    - camera is average, no HD video
    I, too, gave this phone an 8 for pretty similar reasons, however, that which I highlighted in red don't bother me. I like the indicator light where it is. The battery cover has no flimsiness that I can tell. It's possible it's not on correctly as it's a snug fit. The size (thickness) doesn't bother me one bit. Finally, I think the camera is decent for this phone not being a top tier model. I REALLY hate all of the bloatware taking up the onboard memory and eventually, I shall root (first time on any phone), but I want to make sure I keep it stock for a while.

Other than that, I really do like this phone. The 8 that I gave it is really due to the lack of memory. I usually keep a lot of apps, but have slimmed down because of it. Big let down for me. Everything else I love however.

Quote Originally Posted by jbjtkbw00 View Post
    I, too, gave this phone an 8 for pretty similar reasons, however, that which I highlighted in red don't bother me. I like the indicator light where it is. The battery cover has no flimsiness that I can tell. It's possible it's not on correctly as it's a snug fit. The size (thickness) doesn't bother me one bit. Finally, I think the camera is decent for this phone not being a top tier model. I REALLY hate all of the bloatware taking up the onboard memory and eventually, I shall root (first time on any phone), but I want to make sure I keep it stock for a while.

Other than that, I really do like this phone. The 8 that I gave it is really due to the lack of memory. I usually keep a lot of apps, but have slimmed down because of it. Big let down for me. Everything else I love however.
    I consider it flimsy, especially coming from my OG Droid, which had a metal back.

As for the lack of memory, are you familiar with how to use ADB with your phone? If so I can show you a trick to increase the amount of available memory:

Code:
    adb shell

pm setInstallLocation 2

reboot
    After doing that you'll see a lot more apps that will be able to be moved to the SD card. Just don't move widgets to the SD card, as they will not function anymore if you move them.
    See Xperia Play Games on my YouTube channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/hairdewx

Um, no. I don't know how to use ADB. Got a link that explains where to place that which you just typed? I would LOVE to move the games over.

This is my first smartphone and am loving it. I almost went with the thunderbolt due to the long delay for the Xperia play on Verizon. Glad I waited, the battery life is one of the best and the gaming is above and beyond any other phone. Who cares if it doesn't have dual core, without a gaming pad gaming is sub par.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links