moving files

This is a discussion on moving files within the Sony Xperia Play forums, part of the Sony Android Phones category; I understand that with the Xperia Play, widgets need to be saved on the main phone memory. I dowloaded things like piano apps. Downloaded 3 ...

Thread: moving files

Xperia Lurker cary chilton_xperia's Avatar

moving files

I understand that with the Xperia Play, widgets need to be saved on the main phone memory. I dowloaded things like piano apps. Downloaded 3 of them. Only one of the piano programs saved to my SD card. The others are on my main phone memory. I went to Settings/Storage/piano and the move to SD was not selectable.

Now I highly doubt piano pro and fauxlight use live streams (use for spam ads?). Is there a work-around to moving these simple, small programs to SD or is it trial and error per download to see which can are save to SD memory ?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Some apps haven't been coded to move the the SD card. Eventually the developer may add that feature but some simply don't for who knows what reason. I wouldn't get too worried about it unless you start to drop below the 50MB range and you can even go as low as 20MB before you see any problems.

Xperia Lurker cary chilton_xperia's Avatar
    thanks, I just went through all the apps I downloaded and viewed them in settings/apps/manage apps and clicked on each app to see whether downloaded to SD or was transferable or not. The ones that weren't most of them, I deleted. Eventhough I did this with most of my apps, there is about 30MB missing somewhere, but I still have 167mb and a lot of apps/games!

Quote Originally Posted by cary chilton View Post
    thanks, I just went through all the apps I downloaded and viewed them in settings/apps/manage apps and clicked on each app to see whether downloaded to SD or was transferable or not. The ones that weren't most of them, I deleted. Eventhough I did this with most of my apps, there is about 30MB missing somewhere, but I still have 167mb and a lot of apps/games!
    Could be that one of the apps is storying data on the phone. When you open the app in the manage apps program (which can also be opened strait from the home screen by pressing the menu button) check to see how much extra data the apps are storing. Also note that even when transferred to the SD card some apps have to leave a small portion of data in the internal memory.

To be able to move more apps to your phone you would need to root, sadly. I say this because I rooted my OG Droid and it really turned into one big mess!!! I mean the Xperia Play works so well and is so stable that I really don't want to mess it up by rooting....but then again we will see in a few months....

Also, Gingerbread (Android 2.3) has taken the "trial and error" out of the process of finding what apps can be moved to the SD card:

go into settings -> applications -> manage applications -> click on the top tab called "On SD card"
    A list of apps will pop up with a check box on the right. If the app is in this list then it means that is CAN be moved to the SD card. If the box is checked it means that the app already HAS been moved to the SD card.

Quote Originally Posted by gertman View Post
    To be able to move more apps to your phone you would need to root, sadly. I say this because I rooted my OG Droid and it really turned into one big mess!!! I mean the Xperia Play works so well and is so stable that I really don't want to mess it up by rooting....but then again we will see in a few months....

Also, Gingerbread (Android 2.3) has taken the "trial and error" out of the process of finding what apps can be moved to the SD card:

go into settings -> applications -> manage applications -> click on the top tab called "On SD card"
    A list of apps will pop up with a check box on the right. If the app is in this list then it means that is CAN be moved to the SD card. If the box is checked it means that the app already HAS been moved to the SD card.
    Yeah like gertman said, there are a few apps that are protected that you can't move to an SD card. It's really up to the developer of the app as to if they want you to do that. Unfortunately a lot of developers forget to turn this feature on or wasn't available when they were building their app so they don't even bother updating it.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links